MDR V6 to Grado SR>> 60? 225? 125?
Oct 5, 2004 at 3:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Mav451

Head-Fier
Hi this is my situation.

While the V6's have been "ok" for me, I have started to like the feel of my roommate's SR60. They are considerably lighter (weight) and overall, just way more comfortable than my V6's. I get sweaty ears with the V6's, while I don't with the SR60's (from the few times I borrowed from my roommate).

I'm wondering what kind of Grado headphone would get at least the same sound, if not better, as my V6's.

I'm talking about bass response and ability to play the soft stuff (Classical, movie soundtracks, that kind of thing), while handling the middle just as good (hip-hop to soft rock to trance).

I'm also gaming, so think Counterstrike/UT2k4/Doom3.

source: SB Live! (i.e. unamped).

*I'm wondering if the SR60 is enough for me? Should I go for the 125 then? Some say (overall hearsay) that's it not worth it and that I should shell it out for the 225?

Oct 5, 2004 at 4:13 AM Post #3 of 11
LOL, the SR60s are already better than the V6s.

Your budget = phone you should get:

~$60=SR60
~$100=Alessandro MS-1
~$200=SR225
~$300=Alessandro MS-2

Currently Listening to: "Whatever You Want" by The Soviettes on my ATH-A900s

Oct 5, 2004 at 4:21 AM Post #4 of 11
Haha ok, good. I was getting the Grado's mostly on comfort/open-can, but if the sound is considerably better (I'm borrowing my roommates SR60's right now for emphasis haha); then all the better =D.

A guy is selling 225's on in the FS/FT forums for $150--the retail price of the 125 yes? I'd be willing to shell out that money if it meant good listening for years (and I mean years) down the road.

I'm not saying this'll be the last headphone I buy, but I want it to last.

*even as I listen now, I can see how different the SR60's are from my V6's in terms of the soundstage*--> the analogy of being in the instrument vs. being in the third row, I'm finally starting to understand that.

Oct 5, 2004 at 4:27 AM Post #5 of 11
$150 for used SR225s is a pretty good deal.

The retail price is $200. You can occasionally find them on ebay (new) for $170-180.

They won't be useful for computer gaming, though; they essentially provide no directional listening. You would probably want to use your V6s for games like counterstrike.

Currently listening to: "The Land of Clear Blue Radio" by The Soviettes on my ATH-A900s.

Oct 5, 2004 at 6:48 PM Post #7 of 11
Ok, well after listening to my roommates' SR60's, there's a question I have concerning the 60's and Alessandro MS-1's.

Bass.

-edit-
the song I'm referring to for bass is "Zombie Nation" by Kemkraft 400.

Comparing my V6 to the SR60's, the V6 has considerably more oomph and its more "clear"; whereas the SR60 just has this kind of liquidy, almost muddy sounding bass.

Does the MS-1 have this problem as well? What about the SR225?

*I'm set at buying either a MS-1 or SR225, but this is probably where it will make or break my decision*.

Oct 5, 2004 at 8:03 PM Post #9 of 11
Beyer pads? How do these affect the V6?

The biggest reason I'm moving away from the V6's is comfort--if it was comfortable in the first place, I wouldn't be spending money at all for new headphones then.

If the Beyer pads can do away with the uncomfortable clamping feel of the V6, then maybe. Yes, I've stretched them out too, but it still doesn't help as much as I thought it would.

Oct 5, 2004 at 8:57 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mav451
Ok, well after listening to my roommates' SR60's, there's a question I have concerning the 60's and Alessandro MS-1's.

Bass.

-edit-
the song I'm referring to for bass is "Zombie Nation" by Kemkraft 400.

Comparing my V6 to the SR60's, the V6 has considerably more oomph and its more "clear"; whereas the SR60 just has this kind of liquidy, almost muddy sounding bass.

Does the MS-1 have this problem as well? What about the SR225?

*I'm set at buying either a MS-1 or SR225, but this is probably where it will make or break my decision*.

I knew it. Sorry, but the Grados are not for you. You're a basshead, and trust me, like my friend who prefers his V6's over my SR-80's, you're never gonna be cured, so might as well feed the desire.

Personally, I like my SR-80's bass better than my friend's V6's. Much more punchy, and has a deepness to it I feel the V6 lacks but tries to make up for in midbass, heck, sheer bass altogether.

Oct 5, 2004 at 9:58 PM Post #11 of 11
Haha dude, I meant that as just as ONE test.

I am by no means a basshead. I still enjoy listening to anime soundtracks (almost all classical/orchestra), the FF Piano collections, rock and soft rock (Foo Fighter :: John Mayer/Dave Matthews Band ), and trance (less emphasis on bass than you think).

I'm just using it as an example. My question was if the bass is any better/clearer with the MS1's/225's compared to the SR60's.

I am willing to spend more of it is slightly punchier and clearer (not necessarily "oomph" I'm looking for).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back