MDR-V6 Mods
Jul 16, 2009 at 4:23 PM Post #18 of 23
I'm tempted to buy a pair strictly for the "want it now" factor.

**EDIT** Yep, bought them. Ideally, I'll have two pairs being sent to me. Too bad I'll have to pay for both.

triportsad.gif

Jul 16, 2009 at 6:56 PM Post #20 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by salannelson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I really want those pads. They look a little deeper and more comfortable. Do they isolate better than the OEMs?

I did try something similar and the answer was no, I'll let you know when I get them but everybody else say it's about the same. My gut feeling tells me less volume will hit you and there'll be less isolation. Pleather will isolate better than velour based on it's general properties (I have velour pads here that fit but they aren't very good).

Jul 22, 2009 at 1:06 AM Post #21 of 23
I got my pads, and they are VERY nice. They make a very big difference in comfort and I do notice a difference in sound, seems the spacing is just a little bit further.

Also it does come with teh cloth piece that sits between the ear and the driver. this seems to veil a bit but also seems to bring the bass into line a bit. I just tune the treble up a bit and boom, perfection.
smily_headphones1.gif

I have to admit though that my analysis will have to wait. I managed to get a pimple right on my ear that hurts so damned bad. Even my soft cushy ear pads agitate it.
angry_face.gif

Nov 24, 2011 at 2:11 AM Post #22 of 23
Dampening the back of the speaker housing makes a massive difference.

I don't want to say too much just yet, but I'm getting some phenominal results finally getting around to tweaking my MDR-V6, seeing as how it's considerably cheaper than buying a new set of cans. :\

ALL detail is tighter, these headphones are sounding much more expensive now. The stuff I used is silverstone dampening phone usually used for noise reduction.

DT250 pads are entirely unusable after the mod, so I need to find a replacement pad that works, because the stock ones are terrible. The headphones responds wierdly to pad swaps now. the velours are thin, and terrible sounding.

The headphones are now sounding huge, much bigger than such a small headphone should. Bass impact is much punchier, much faster, but also much bigger. It's not what I'd call balanced, but it sounds real. Realler, anyway. Everything tonally but the treble is spot on. I need to try the electrical tape mod to dampen the treble...

High mids need a lot of work now.

Anyway on a quest to turn the MDR-V6 into something worth tinkering with. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back