MDR-V6 Mod. I think I just fixed the harshness/brightness issue..
Apr 18, 2010 at 7:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

salannelson

1000+ Head-Fier
Sorry about no pictures, I was in a rush to do this and I forgot.

So, I absolutely love the detail on my V6s, but the harshness was a huge turn off. I wanted to do something about it. I noticed the foam that comes in Koss UR40s, and I wondered if that sort of foam would help "deaden" reverberations inside the driver cups of my Sonys.

First off, I went on a slight adventure trying to find the foam I wanted. I tried Michaels crafts, Target, and finally Home Depot. At Home Depot I found small "vent filters" that were made out of foam. They come in a pack of 12, and measure 4" x 12". They serve the purpose of filtering air coming through a standard size central air floor vent. Here's a picture I found online that looks exactly like the kind of filters I bought. However, mine came in small sheets, not on a roll...
http://www.natlallergy.com/images/22...ent-filter.jpg

To install them:
1. Remove the pad. Careful not to tear it. Rotating it helps.
2. Remove the screws from the driver assembly.
3. Pull the driver assembly from the cup.
4. Cut out 2-4 foam filters in the shape of circles so that they fit inside the deeper part of the cup in the center. You are now done, reassemble the cup. Repeat for the other side.

Now I'm not sure if it's just in my head, but I felt a slight increase in the low end, and the harshness/brightness is no longer as prevalent. Try this mod and tell me what you think.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 18, 2010 at 7:26 PM Post #2 of 4
popcorn.gif

Apr 18, 2010 at 8:14 PM Post #4 of 4
Less harsh/bright results in smoother sound which can give you the impression balance is better, interesting...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back