MDR-V6 Beyer Pad Mod
Mar 24, 2009 at 10:00 PM Post #16 of 24
I hear one downfall of this mod is a lack of dampening which causes a small reduction in bass. Haven't tried this on mine yet but would love to hear if this is true from someone who does.

Mar 24, 2009 at 10:54 PM Post #17 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiComm4 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What are the benefits of the pad change? Is it just for cosmetics/comfort? I love velour pads and would gladly do it just for those reasons.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fallensky
I hear one downfall of this mod is a lack of dampening which causes a small reduction in bass. Haven't tried this on mine yet but would love to hear if this is true from someone who does.

I did this pad change mainly for comfort, and because the original pleather pads tend to wear out and crack and get even more uncomfortable. The Beyer velour pads seem super durable. I've had them on my V6s for several years (at least as long as I had the original pads on), and they look the same as they did when new.

As for sound, I remember reading that the bass was actually a little fuller with the velour pads. I have a newer pair of V6s now with the original pads, and I can't hear much difference in sound at all. I do think the velour ones isolate, just a tiny bit better. But the velour is so much more comfortable. The pleather always gets hot and itchy.

Thanks!
George

Mar 24, 2009 at 11:24 PM Post #19 of 24
Quote:

Yes and thanks, but what of the fabric covering the drivers? Must one mod the velour pads?!

It's been years since I did this, but If I recall correctly, the fabric covering the drivers was lightly glued onto the pleather pads. I just peeled it away carefully, then set it in place over the drivers before I put the Beyer pads on. I had to smooth it out a little after I was done, but it's stayed in place very well.

Mar 25, 2009 at 4:18 AM Post #21 of 24
Quote:

i should be getting the Beyer pads tomorrow. I noticed in the pictures that they look like they don't have any fabric within the pads to cover the drivers. If so, do you have cut the fabric from the sony pads to cover up the drivers?

There is conflicting information on this, IMHO. I did a pair 2 years ago and Sony had indeed starting gluing the foam liner into their pads. I carefully cut mine out, but it ruins the Sony pads in the process. That was OK with me, since the Sony's are worthless IMHO - they'll start flaking on your ears in a couple of years, perhaps sooner.

Anyway, the foam liners fit awfully tight in the Beyer pads. So, as long as you can get them in there and smoothed out, there's really no need to secure them with other means. However, the last pics and reports I heard for the Beyer pads was that they came with the foam liner. If that's true, that's the best solution.

Keep in mind that for some of us, the Beyer pads will change the sound signature of the V6's. The stock pads are flat and flexible enough that's it's pretty difficult for the V6's to be truly circumaural. However, the Beyer velour pads have enough substance on them that they don't distort as much. This makes the effective opening larger and allows some of us to fit our ear completely inside the cavity. The effect is a much higher bass level on a pretty bass-focused can already.
wink.gif

P.S. I don't think erikj was insulting at all - it really is that simple except for the current status of the foam liner.
wink.gif

Mar 25, 2009 at 4:23 AM Post #22 of 24
Quote:

Thanks, peck. Uhm, I don't want to be a stickler, but could someone confirm this?

I just switched pads last week, and the fabric connected to the pleather pads are lightly glued to the pads. They're easy to remove, but the Beyer pads also come with fabric that works. The Beyer fabric is a little smaller than Sony's, but covers the drivers just fine, and is still secured by the velour pads.

I've heard taping the fabric down helps keep it in place while you're switching pads, as the fabric scrunching up was definitely the biggest annoyance for me.

Mar 25, 2009 at 5:45 AM Post #23 of 24
Quote:

Thanks, peck. Uhm, I don't want to be a stickler, but could someone confirm this?

Take a look at this thread: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f21/so...cs-lots-94836/

The first post is missing the pictures, but read through it, and there is a post later on with pictures where someone had taped the grille covers down before putting the beyer pads on.

Like I said before, I did this years ago. I can't confirm whether Sony is sewing, hot gluing, or stapling the grille covers on. Maybe they're affixing them with used chewing gum. I don't know. I also can't confirm that the new pads come with grille covers.

I can confirm that there are many, many posts on this mod, and that a few minutes of searching will get you plenty of information. Use this forum's search function, or go to google and enter this string: "mdv-v6 beyer pads site:head-fi.org"

Good luck!

Mar 25, 2009 at 10:55 PM Post #24 of 24
Thanks, gdpeck--you da man!

So I installed the pads and the foam covers, and ugh! The bass has become boomy, ill-defined. However, I wasn't able to get the DT250 covers taut over the drivers. Should that over?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back