MDR-SA5000 VS MDR-F1
Jan 20, 2012 at 12:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Dodgercat

New Head-Fier
How would you compare the two ????? They are both apparently on a very good sale on Amazon, for about the same price....I believe both are " discontinued " but which of the two would have in it''s day been considered the " higher end model " ????

Jan 20, 2012 at 2:18 PM Post #2 of 10

Quote:
How would you compare the two ????? They are both apparently on a very good sale on Amazon, for about the same price....I believe both are " discontinued " but which of the two would have in it''s day been considered the " higher end model " ????

Owned both. The F1 can't keep up with the SA-5000. In fact, not many dynamics can keep up with the SA-5000, so my suggestion is to get that.

Jan 20, 2012 at 2:51 PM Post #3 of 10
It's on sale for about half price - $ 349....I had been considering a h.s. like the Ultrasone 900, 2500 or Dennon HD_200, or 5000. At this price point, the Sony falls into my " afordable " category......How would you rate it compared to the above. Clear, accurate, yet powerful bass is important.....Thanks for your thoughts !!!

Alex

Jan 20, 2012 at 3:02 PM Post #5 of 10
The SA5000 and D2000 are quite different. One has a bass hump, the other seems bass shy. You should know what sound signature you require. The D2000 doesn't need an amp to sound good, but benefits from one.

Jan 20, 2012 at 3:20 PM Post #6 of 10
I already have a pretty good amp set up - at least for my purposes, the Digiaoid ZO - A fantastic product, the best $ 100 I have ever spent in my life, litteraly doubles the audio quality of the set your are listening too.....you would swear to god, yo just put on a hs costing twice as much as the one you " had " on bvefore turning the Zoid on - FANTASTIC

Jan 20, 2012 at 3:31 PM Post #7 of 10
These two Sonys are very different flavors. As was mentioned by iemguy the F1, depite it's name might suggest, is not built for speed like the SA5000 and indeed the latter is substaintialy improved in terms if dynamic range and detail retrival. However the two main selling points of the F1 are it's holographic soundstaging and midrange accuracy. These two traits more than make up for it's defficiency in raw "muscle" as they make any music sound very very true-to-life to my ears, Live music espcially is just a treat for the ear.

The SA5000 bass is very good- very detailed, clear and deep enough almost to the lowest octave but to as massive as the other cans that you noted. But sure is more accurate IMO.

Jan 20, 2012 at 3:42 PM Post #8 of 10
It's comming down to the Sony or the new Plannar 400 or 500. The Sony seems like a true audiophile product, that might just not be the " in " product anymore, and would enable me to get into the same " Playing Field " as the two HiFiMan Plannar models, they have great reviews, but ain't cheap, the 400 would be just a lttle more than the Sony, but then I am always going to feel, like ai shortchanged myself, compared to the " new kid " on the block - the 500, but at $ 8000 - No way that's going to happen, I am thinking the Sony might just fill the gap nicely....Ideas ???

Jan 20, 2012 at 3:49 PM Post #9 of 10
Technically the Sony SA5000 isn't on sale, it's always been priced around $340, nevertheless that's a great price for an excellent headphone. As others have mentioned it needs a good amp to shine, as in a warm, lush-midrange amp to warm up the otherwise sterile and overly analytical sound. Paired with the right amp and detailed source this will give the Sennheiser HD800 a run for it's money.

Jan 20, 2012 at 4:22 PM Post #10 of 10
I don't think you'll like the Sony. It's a "technical" headphone and its merits are speed, detail, resolution, transparency, etc. It is very bright as well, and I think it's a bit bass anemic.

The Zo might work well with the D2000, which already has a midbass hump. I haven't done much research on it. But I think if you get the SA-5000 it will sound too cold and neutral for you. I haven't heard any of the Ultrasones or planer magnetics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back