MDR-SA1000 problem, need help.
Mar 6, 2006 at 4:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

btcomm

New Head-Fier
I have MDR-SA1000's and I broke them. The cup broke off the band. It's a pretty clean break. Is there an epoxy or some kind of glue that works really well for gluing plastics together?

Mar 6, 2006 at 8:01 PM Post #2 of 8
Yup, buy some two part epoxy it will work great. You can get it practically anwhere like a grocery store, pharmacy, or hardware store.

Super glue also works well but IMO epoxy is where it's at.

Mar 6, 2006 at 8:19 PM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Icehawk
Yup, buy some two part epoxy it will work great. You can get it practically anwhere like a grocery store, pharmacy, or hardware store.

Super glue also works well but IMO epoxy is where it's at.

Well, I have to wonder if epoxy will even work.

I bought this http://www.tapplastics.com/shop/prod...43204970167425. The instructions say apply pressure for 15 seconds then let it sit. After 20 seconds of pressure I let go and it isn't even close to being glued, just slides right off. Is there some trick to super gluing plastics? I will post a pic of what the break looks like.

P3061146.JPG

Mar 6, 2006 at 8:38 PM Post #4 of 8
Epoxy is very powerful, but you need to apply a lot of pressure for a long time - overnight - for the epoxy to settle properly. 15-20 seconds is definitely not enough! I say at the very least 24 hours and even after that there are no guarantees. Pressure needs to be maintained throughout the hardening period. This may be a bit of a hastle for you but IMO well worth it! You might need to devise some method of letting the two pieces come into contact under some pressure for a long period of time without ANY movement whatsoever. Try to get it to stick the first time round. You will end up with a huge mess of hardened epoxy if you don't get it right the first couple of times...

I feel sorry for you
310.gif

Mar 6, 2006 at 8:40 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder
Yes, pictures will definitely help. How large is the contact area between the two broken bits? Epoxy is very powerful, but you need to apply a lot of pressure for a long time - overnight - for the epoxy to settle properly. Pressure needs to be maintained throughout the hardening period. This may be a bit of a hastle for you but IMO well worth it! You might need to devise some method of letting the two pieces come into contact under some pressure for a long period of time without ANY movement whatsoever.

I feel sorry for you
310.gif

Well, I posted the pic. Do you think that super glue I bought might even work? If so is there some trick to using the super glue so that it will actually glue the peices together? Also if I bought epoxy would it have to be a particular kind? Is there any fast epoxy's that would keep to peices of plastic together? Does anyone know what kind of plastic the MDR-SA1000 has? Is it polyethylene or polypropylene or something else?

Mar 6, 2006 at 10:51 PM Post #6 of 8
I think any type of two-part epoxy will work. I would stay away from superglue because it is relatively brittle when hardened. Superglue also melts the plastic and really mangles the contact area. Personally, I would go for two-part epoxy, which can be found in most DIY shops or supermarkets... Remember, there is a lot of patience involved in using epoxy.

Mar 6, 2006 at 11:03 PM Post #7 of 8
I wouldnt even attempt to glue that without taking the cans apart first. Remove the headband and earcup and just isolate the broken part on your workbench. That way you dont have so many things tugging at the parts while the epoxy sets. I also think that a 2 part epoxy would be ideal. Do NOT MOVE the parts as the epoxy sets. It needs to remain completely stationary as the epoxy cures.

Alternately you can try and find a replacement part at partstore.com.

Garrett

Mar 6, 2006 at 11:38 PM Post #8 of 8
In walmart, you can get an epoxy that sets in 5 minutes (you have to wait considerably longer before actually putting the headphone to use again though). This may be a good option if there's no feasable way to hold the pieces together for the duration required by a slower setting epoxy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back