MDR-M1ST vs MDR-7520
Jul 5, 2019 at 10:33 PM Post #2 of 13
The M1ST doesn't come included with a 4.4 but the 3.5mm jack on the headphone cup is 4 pole so a 1AM2 4.4 cable should plug right in and work fine.

Jul 5, 2019 at 10:41 PM Post #3 of 13
I owned the MDR-7520's for a bit, and to be honest, I thought they sounded pretty bad. Flat, dull, congested.
Definitely not worth the $500 Sony was originally asking for them, or even the $400 they are currently selling for. I'd take the $150 ATH-M50x over them any day of the week.
Hopefully the MDR-M1ST will be a much better headphone.

Jul 9, 2019 at 9:27 PM Post #5 of 13
Jul 9, 2019 at 10:37 PM Post #7 of 13
I already have that cable heh heh. Just wonder if it would work.
Yep it'll work! And I'm curious to see what kind of changes you get from it. I just got a Kimber cable in the mail today to pair with my Z7 and it is legit. Like no longer need to EQ my Z7 type legit.

Dec 5, 2019 at 9:09 PM Post #9 of 13
I just received a M1ST and I have also a 7520 and CD900ST.

To my ears the M1ST is a happy middle ground between the CD900ST (which actually bought twice) and the 7520. The 7520 has better bass than the CD900ST but the tuning sounded rather distant which I suspect was aimed at making the 7520s sound like speakers. The M1ST improves on the bass of the CD900ST and achieves a good middle ground between sounding distant and the intimate feel of the CD900STs.

IMO the sound of the M1ST is good enough to do monitoring(sufficiently detailed) and mastering (sound field akin to a near field speaker), whereas both the 7520 and CD900ST are more like one trick ponies. Bonus is that the M1STs are lighter and more comfortable to wear for long sessions than the 7520s, and the clamping force is not as strong as the CD900STs.

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2020 at 1:50 AM Post #10 of 13
I just received a M1ST and I have also a 7520 and CD900ST.

To my ears the M1ST is a happy middle ground between the CD900ST (which actually bought twice) and the 7520. The 7520 has better bass than the CD900ST but the tuning sounded rather distant which I suspect was aimed at making the 7520s sound like speakers. The M1ST improves on the bass of the CD900ST and achieves a good middle ground between sounding distant and the intimate feel of the CD900STs.

IMO the sound of the M1ST is good enough to do monitoring(sufficiently detailed) and mastering (sound field akin to a near field speaker), whereas both the 7520 and CD900ST are more like one trick ponies. Bonus is that the M1STs are lighter and more comfortable to wear for long sessions than the 7520s, and the clamping force is not as strong as the CD900STs.

Thanks ! M1ST is not available in my country so I've to get more information as much as I can.

Jan 16, 2020 at 3:31 AM Post #11 of 13
Thanks ! M1ST is not available in my country so I've to get more information as much as I can.

I’m lucky to be situated in Asia with access to buying service that allows me to get stuff from Japan at reasonable cost. Looking to get the Bispa 4.4mm cable for m1st in my upcoming japan trip, and will report back if i get it.

Feb 1, 2024 at 5:09 AM Post #12 of 13
Sony doesn't allow selling M1ST and CD900ST outside Japan. It is a JDM, Japan Domestic Market, item. Only exporters sell it outside Japan or like what I did shortly after release, used a proxy company to ship it to me. For me the Yaxi M1ST pads are a must-have. Eliminates the 8k peak (is that what it is called for sibilance?), which I call explosive tones. Let's use Phasmophibia, the game, they use the worst flashlight sound. No bass in the clicking sound and just high frequencies on purpose, I assume. So people like to spam it and harm players ears. With the pads in general, the soundstage is awesome. It won't have imaging like the Sennheiser HD600 but I never notice any issues when playing games and especially music where imaging is more noticeable, I do not often notice the lower capabilities for that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back