MDR-EX71SL, MDR-EX51SP, MDR-E888LP, or Eggos?
Mar 31, 2003 at 10:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

rblanco10

Head-Fier
Hello,

I am a newbie, I have been using the Koss "The Plugs" and have been satisfied with their dramatic bass. (I don't know if I would describe myself as a bass head?) I use them for traveling, in the gym, and general in bed night listening. Again the bass is great and the noise leak is almost nothing, and the isolation is great! However, I have noticed a significant drop in the treble. I am looking for new ear cannal or ear bud earphones (But don't want to pay the high price of the ETY's.) I don't own a portable headphone amp either.

I recently bought the Sennheisser MX500 (at newegg.com for $16 shipped!) and was not impressed. The MX500 were great for their price and clear sounds, but they lack in bass and are really uncomfortable and slip out (even with the foamies on, yes I have heard about the RS foamies for the MX500s)

My 1st question for you all is what is the sound drop off between the Sony MDR-EX71SL and the MDR-EX51SP? I have done a search on this and want more opinions on this.

The MDR-E888LP sounds like a great earphone/earbud, but I question if they will produce enough bass, and everybody has described them as really delicate (I would not take them to the gym - too expensive.) I think I would purchase one of the Sony Eggos or V6's over the E888 for the price. My second question on this is how do they rank on the bass? The bass: EGGO>V6>E888?

So I am considering the Sony MDR-EX71SL (for travel and gym to replace my Koss The Plugs) and the Sony MDR-D66SL or Sony MDR-V6 for the rest. Does anybody know where I can get some Sony V6's on the web in the USA? I found this link http://www.millionbuy.com/snymdrv6.html
Are these the Sony MDR-V6 that everbody loves here? Is this a good price?

I have heard about the Koss KSC-35's also, but they are not available. I don't think the Koss KSC-50's are comparable to the KSC-35's based on read reviews.

Thanks!

Mar 31, 2003 at 10:19 PM Post #2 of 6
the bass on the ex70 and 71's is very boomy. and the eggos and 888's wont give you the bass you need IMO.

Mar 31, 2003 at 11:31 PM Post #3 of 6
If I can't narrow down the headphones further, I'm thinking of getting all of the following:

EX71
E888
D66
MX-500 (too bad Audiocubes don't have this so that I can get everything together)

I think I'm gonna go broke for the month, although it is already the end of the month here in Canada.

Also thinking about get KSC35, but that's hard to find. If anyone's buying it bulk and offering to sell for a good price, put me on the list for it.

Anyone else have anymore comments or recommendations concerning all these headphones?

I'd like to get headphones that are very portable, good in high/mid/bass, clear, not easily broken, won't fall out of my ears, won't produce noise when the cord hits my shirt, comfortable, and NOT ugly. Essentially, I'm looking for something to use instead of my Ety ER4Ps (something less annoying to use).

Apr 1, 2003 at 12:26 AM Post #4 of 6
I do own the Sennheiser MX500 and it does not produce any bass at all. I was very disappointed. Also I thought that the other reviews of the MX500 buds being uncomfortable was just silly, but it is true. The MX500 are pure hard plastic and don't fit my ear to well, I have burned them in but it still hurts to listen to them.
smily_headphones1.gif

dragonlong mentioned..."I'd like to get headphones that are very portable, good in high/mid/bass, clear, not easily broken, won't fall out of my ears"

The MX500 falls out of my ears easily, and is made of hard plastic that seems shatterable.

I am now looking for an inexpensive price for the Sony
MDR-EX71SL. Has anyone seen them for cheaper than $40?
How does the MDR-EX51, MDR-EX70 compare to the MDR-EX71's?

Thanks!

Apr 1, 2003 at 2:54 AM Post #5 of 6
rblanco10, thanks for the info on the MX500. I guess I won't go for them then, although I do like the colour. Blue is my favourite colour after all.
biggrin.gif
My first earbuds were the ones that came with the original gameboy, and ever since I started to use them, I've been into small type "headphones" (a.k.a. earbuds). Maybe if I get a cobalt blue GBA SP and I'd get the MX500 to go with it... but then I might as well get a platinum GBA SP which with go well with most other Sony headphones. lol

Well, I'm planning on getting the EX71 from audiocubes.com. I haven't bought anything from there yet, but from what I can see around the forum here, they seem reliable. And plus if I wanna get the D66 Eggos too, might as well buy them all together and save money on shipping. Their shipping rates are extremely reasonable.

From what I've seen, the EX70 and 71's are just about the same other than the fact that the 71's look a little bit better with more chrome. The 70's are several bucks cheaper though, so I guess the question is what is more important to you, saving a few bucks or having something cooler looking.

However, there hasn't been many 70 vs 71 reviews, so for all everyone knows, there could be noticeable differences in terms of sound quality.

Anyone out there that has done a first hand comparison of them yet? Please comment.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back