MDR-D777LP for $20 worth it?
Jun 2, 2008 at 6:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

sackynut

100+ Head-Fier
I had my mind set on buying some Sennheiser HD215's as my new "at home/bed" cans, when I came across this smokin' deal.

Amazon.com: Sony MDR-D777LP Altus Stereo Headphones: Electronics

Although these headphones were known for being worth approx $60 less than they were sold for ($150), $20 isnt a bad deal.

Would you say this is worth it?

Although I would prefer some really nice sounding, mid-range hi-fi cans (which I believe the HD215's to be) $20 for a ~$100-worth pair of phones is an offer I might just have to take up.

Any opinions?

Jun 2, 2008 at 6:12 AM Post #2 of 7
I don't know, what's your acceptable cost over time figure for headphones? Look at the reviews, they seem to be almost guaranteed to fail structurally at some point.

Jun 3, 2008 at 3:49 AM Post #3 of 7
Would these be much of an upgrade over JVC Marshmallows?

And would they hold their own against KSC-75's?

I happen to have an Amazon giftcard and these phones look like a pretty decent deal.

Jun 3, 2008 at 7:58 AM Post #5 of 7
Looks like they've gone even cheaper since I got my pair. Honestly, mine are going back to amazon. There isnt really anything great about them. The bass sounds decent if you EQ some in, but the mids and treble are very harsh. To me they sound like a full size version of everyday budget earbuds, with even honkier mids. IMO my CX300's sound better, especially in the bass, and my HD212's, bloated bass and all, blow them out of the water overall.

If I had paid full price for these, I would feel VERY cheated. For $20, I can't even say that they're worth that. Some Cheap entry level Koss's (UR20's) would probably sound better. I hate to say it, but even Bose AE's actually sound alot better.

Compared to all of the cans in my Sig, with the exception of the Marshmallows, they're the harshest, most fatiguing I've heard. I should have listened to the majority vote here on the Sony's.

Jun 3, 2008 at 10:41 PM Post #6 of 7
Thanks for that, I was almost about to get them. I see your not a marshmallow fan either... I find them very uncomfortable and I hate how they become waxy even though I clean my ears every day.

That being said, I'm not sure if it's worth it to me to upgrade. I have never noticed much difference between 128kbps and 320kbps so I don't know if better phones will do anything for me other than just raise my standards.

Jun 4, 2008 at 1:18 AM Post #7 of 7
There are a couple different models and variations of the Marshmallows. It may just be the FX34's that suck. I actually think I like the marshmallow memory foam cushions better than the ones that come with the cx300's.

With lesser headphones, theres not much difference between 192kbps, and 320kbps, but I notice a definite difference on 128, no matter what i listen on. The bass becomes anemic, or bloated and the whole track will become congested.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back