MDR-D66SL Eggos, good?
May 8, 2004 at 2:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

jeri534

100+ Head-Fier
I currently am using an iPod mini with PX100s but I would like something that wont leak as much sound, and I was wondering if these are any good. I like how they look also, and from what Ive been reading are very small also..

May 8, 2004 at 2:59 AM Post #2 of 16
About a year ago it seems the D66SL Eggos seemed to be all the rage. However, they seem to have lost some of their appeal in the last 6 months.

I have a pair but honestly don't use them very much. It's not that they're bad headphones, it's just that they seem to be missing something. Some say they don't have much bass. I would characterize it as having a boxy sound, possibly from an overemphasized lower midrange. They are not bass monsters but the bass is clear and tight. If it's isolation you're after they may fall short on that mark too.

On the positive side they are very clear and detailed. Like I said, it's not like they're bad headphones, it's just that there are other headphones that are more well rounded or a better value.

For portable use I have taken to using the Shure E2. I like the sound better because it seems more balanced, although definitely does not provide the clarity or soundstage of the Eggos. They also provide superior isolation since they are canalphones.

May 8, 2004 at 3:30 AM Post #3 of 16
what headphones do you suggest? keep in mind I need something pretty small, doesn't leak much sound, and nothing to boxy or bulky, I really liked the eggos in terms of style also..

I *was* interested in the E2Cs but I jus't dont think canal phones are right for me..

and also, Ive read that there is a Japan and Philippine versions of the eggos, are they the same though? or is the ones made in the Philippines inferior to the ones made in Japan?

May 8, 2004 at 3:48 AM Post #4 of 16
Well, if you like the PX100 how about the PX200? I have those also and prefer them to the Eggos. I actually like the sound of the PX200 better than the E2 because they seem to be a bit clearer to me. But I use the E2s when I need that extra bit of isolation such as when I'm on a small jet.

Don't get me wrong, the Eggos are not bad. If you listen to jazz and classical you might even prefer them. However, they lack something when it comes to rock.

I have not heard, but have read many recommendations for the Sony MDR-V6 (7506).

May 8, 2004 at 5:06 AM Post #5 of 16
I listen to a lot of rap music..I wish there was a place to try them out first
frown.gif

and how about the different versions of them?

May 8, 2004 at 6:37 AM Post #6 of 16
I have both the D66 Eggos and the V6's. The D66's as erikzen has mentioned aren't bad cans for their price just that the don't have much emphasis on bass when you are listening to rock or hip hop. The bass is tight and clear thru the D66's, it just that I want a little bit more of a punch in the bass department thru them when I'm listening to rock or hip hop.
The V6's on the other hand has bucket loads of bass. Some say maybe even too much too a point that it sound bloated. It has been mentioned that the mids and highs barely show up thru the V6's for some listeners. Too me the V6's are an awesome pair of cans when it comes to listening to rock and hip hop. They don't isolate as well as the D66's though. Also the V6's cord is curled up like a telephone cord coming from the headset, this puts a little bit more weight on the cans and can be annoying to some. All in all the V6's are a good pair of cans when it come to giving up bass while listening to rock or hip hop IMO.

May 8, 2004 at 6:46 AM Post #8 of 16
Have you checked out ATH-FC7? Check out my full review. I can say I enjoy these more than MDR-V6.

NOTE: So many people have been asking about portable headphones, that I'm starting to sound like an ATH-FC7 promoter!!!
rolleyes.gif

May 9, 2004 at 12:41 AM Post #11 of 16
damn, I'm kinda torn between the Eggos and the E2cs, the eggos are the kind of headphones im looking for, but from what Ive read the bass on them are weak, and the E2cs Ive heard have good bass, but Im really looking for canal phones

May 9, 2004 at 12:51 AM Post #12 of 16
i have the e2c too. they have a solid bass, never overwhelming, it stays in the middle and back, not in your face bass, which is why i like it. the high is slightly weak. mids are good. i would say the eggo sound better in term of clarity but if you like groove in the music than its better to go with the e2c. also the e2c is more portable and isolate much more. they both have about the same soundstage size, but i date to say the eggo is much better at positioning. the eggo still have the biggest place in my heart out of all headphones.

May 9, 2004 at 3:07 AM Post #13 of 16
If it's a choice between E2C and D66 my vote goes to E2C. They're more portable, provide more isolation and although the highs are a bit recessed sound better with rock, which is what I listen to most.

May 9, 2004 at 10:35 AM Post #14 of 16
The D66 is closed, but I found it leaks like a saggy diaper. But that can be a good thing for those of you who like to hear the car before it hits you while crossing the street. The bass is way back in the back. It tries to kind of wrap everything up in a pleasing sonic package, sort of what I'd call a mock neutrality. It's probably the most portable full-size can sound you can get, but the sound isn't for everybody.
eggosmile.gif

May 9, 2004 at 2:13 PM Post #15 of 16
I am listening to the D66s right now (from an iPod mini), and I have to say the sound is for me. Right now, playing is The Who's "The Punk Meets The Godfather," and I can hear the bass just fine. With the V6s, the drums and bass guitar do seem to come a bit more alive, but still, I like the balanced sound of the D66s, and they are very portable headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back