MDR-D66 vs. MDR-V6
Aug 26, 2004 at 7:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

bdot

New Head-Fier
Heres the storry.

A few months ago i bought the eggos for myself and have used them time to time. They're "OK" but ive been interested in the SR-60s recently.

My brother wants some nice cans to use mostly at home but he wants to stay under 100. He used my eggos sometimes and thats the main reason why he wants some cans for indoor use. He was looking at the v6s when i offered this to him.

I offered to give him my eggos if he bought me my sr-60s.

Basically he wants to know which perform better: d66 or v6.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Aug 26, 2004 at 12:10 PM Post #4 of 16
eggo pros:
more balanced sound
much better soundstage
much better midrange
non-fatiguing
cool looking design
eggo cons:
high midrange - low treble emphasis
a tad low on bass

v6 pros:
great bass response (depending on many factors though)
great detail (depending on many factors though)
v6 cons
sometimes a bit too boomy on bass (depending on many factors)
recessed midrange
a bit too analytical sounding sometimes
too sibilant sometimes

looks like i like the D66 eggos more. the v6 really depends on the music you're listening to, and sources; its a very picky headphone. sometimes they sound great, sometimes horrible. some people like the D66, soe the V6, but i hardly seen anyone like both. different strokes for different folks.

Aug 26, 2004 at 2:33 PM Post #6 of 16
I much prefer the Eggos... but then, I really dislike the boomy, maybe even bloated, bass on the V6s.

I guess that's what it comes down to, really... do you want too much or too little bass? If the former, the V6... if the latter, the Eggos.

~KS

Aug 26, 2004 at 4:18 PM Post #7 of 16
I have 7506 (essentially V6), D66, and D77. The difference between D66 and 77 is minimal. I mainly use my eggos for portable use and they're great for that. I use the 7506 on my computer when I want really good isolation and no sound leakage. They're great for games and a decent choice for general use too. They don't compare to some of my other phones but they're plenty good for the price. I much prefer the 7506 sound than eggo at home.

Aug 26, 2004 at 4:29 PM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sazabi2001
I think V6 maybe better~~After all D66 is just design for protable-players~~

I don't have D66 & V6 ,but I got D77 & MDR-7506~~and I like 7506 more~

If you don't like the D77, I know someone that would
wink.gif

From memory, the D66 were much smoother 'phones, so - if its a Grado-esque sound that you're ultimately after, the V6 will win the day.. with the eggos erring more towards the Sennheiser side of things...

Aug 26, 2004 at 4:55 PM Post #9 of 16
I also have both the V6 and D66, to me the V6's are a little bit more comfy than the D66. The thing I don't like about the V6 is the headphone cord is curled up like that of a telephone headset cable which adds some weight to one side of the cans when the cord is dangling. As mentioned earlier the V6 does have more bass than the D66, sometimes in certain types of music that excess bass does tend to sound a bit bloated IMO. It would depend if your brother is seeking a set of can with lots of bass or one with greater detail and mid range response.

Aug 26, 2004 at 5:21 PM Post #10 of 16
I dont have the V6 but i have the D22 the D66 and the D77, i like the feel of the eggo, they sound big but are nice little and light. The split band at the top i think is more comfortable on my head. The clamp is just right for me also, i used both the D66 and the D22 right out of the box for hours and they didnt bother me once. Not long after using the senn HD280s i have to move the cans around because of the weight and the position of the band.

What is the difference between the D66 and the D77?

Aug 26, 2004 at 9:01 PM Post #12 of 16
having owned both long term, i also prefer the eggos to the v6. as everyone else has said, its more balanced sound with more pronounced midrange make it easier to listen to. portability wise, the short cord make it easy to use with my ipod's remote since i don't have an extra section of cable just hanging there. the coiled cord of the v6 really make it not portable friendly.

i added foam stuffing into the cups of my eggo (based on redshifter's mods) which made the bass deeper and tighter. it's not as deep as the v6 bass but still very enjoyable.

Aug 26, 2004 at 9:15 PM Post #13 of 16
As i konw , D66 is just a half-price of D77, but they have nearly no difference in sound-preformance~~Maybe SONY just made a mistake here.

But as the V6 look just the same as the 7506 , i think they have a little difference~~V6 maybe more BASS and 7506 maybe more detail. So I choosed 7506~

Aug 26, 2004 at 10:56 PM Post #14 of 16
I also own the D66's and 7506's. I'd much rather get rid of the eggo's and here's why:

The eggo's can sound plasticky at times, some funkiness is going on with the midrange, can't pinpoint it but it sounds awfully unnatural at times and well, they sound quite uninvolving and a bit polite. Plus, i didn't find them smooth at all, even after adjusting the frequency settings on my njb3.

The 7506's are what they are, great closed cans with some punchy bass and bright highs. Complete opposite of the eggo's (minus the brightness factor which they both share). The 7506's are agressive. They project music in a wider field than the eggo's which sound claustrophobic to an extent and also have found the eggo's to sound a bit distant with heavy guitars (nin, fear factory). Any metal with heavy drumming will sound limp (think Tool).

Eh, the eggo's do exhibit some of the characteristics of the 7506's (a bit bright, imho) and yes, they are rather uncomfortable for people with big ears, like myself.

They're both fine cans, but definitely quite different. Hope that helps.

Aug 27, 2004 at 5:55 AM Post #15 of 16
I much preferred the D66 to the V6 only because of comfort. I didn't even get much of the sound of the V6 because they rested on my ears and not on the pads which would rest around my ears, causing very serious pain after just a few minutes. That said, what I did find with the V6 is it has the same kind of slight unnaturalness, plastic veil over the sound that's sometimes apparent, othertimes seemingly nnonexistent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back