MDR-CD780 Review (Vs. 770Pro)
Oct 15, 2003 at 1:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

DesBen

100+ Head-Fier
Well, you won't believe this. At work, I use a MG Head tube amp and it's a great conversation piece around the office. So a co-worker who just joined the group brought me the headphones he just got last week: MDR-CD780. Now, I hadn't read Head-Fi in weeks, so I didn't know anything about the ecost deal. I was under the impression these retailed for $200.

So, I unplugged my Beyer 770Pro and plugged these Sony in my MG Head for a listen. I spent about five hours with them today, listening to various things, including:

* Jesse Cook - Free Fall. Acoustic guitar with various percussions

* Elastica - The Radio One Sessions. Rock with wild geetar sounds.

* Murray Perahia - Chopin Études (op. 10, 25). Classical music solo piano.

* Wynton Marsalis Septet - Selections from the Village Vanguard. Up-beat jazz with trumpet, piano, drums, clarinet and others.

* Steve Lawler - BBC Radio One Essential Mix (July 16 2000). FM Radio to 192kbps MP3 to CD
smily_headphones1.gif
Progressive house mix ("dance music").

Conclusion: these are great headphones. After finding out I can get them for $40 tonight, I bought a set: they should arrive in two weeks. But let me give you my impressions from today.

---------
The first thing you notice is how comfortable these things are. It blew me away. It literally feels like a good duvet pillow. Unbelievable. Maybe we should send a pair to Grado. The headband is wide and auto-adjustable. They are a bit heavy, but you quickly forget about them. You can wear them for hours. They aren't very tight; so don't expect to go jogging with them.

Then, the sound. Not bad at all. Really good in fact. Maybe the word comfortable applies here too? Again, you could listen for hours. It is relaxed, smooth and free of distortion. They put the emphasis on the mid and treble (apparent listening to elastica). Bass, though not extended very deep, is tight and well defined. It's superb for acoustic music.

The Marsalis CD sounded amazing. It's recorded at the Vanguard and the ambiance was reproduced very well. The sound from the crowd came from far behind and it sounded spacious. By comparison, the closed Beyer made it sound as though the crowd was standing all on the same line. The instruments had a really nice tone: piano was round and full, the trumpet brassy but never hard. I really got into the music. The bass, though a touch light, was easy to pick up. If these phones were speakers, they would be large monitors, instead of large floorstanders: they are extended enough to sound big, but not enough to be visceral. Think nicely integrated musical bass instead of boomy (says who, a 770 owner?!?)

For Chopin Études, I preferred the Beyer. The left-hand had more weight and it gave the music a more powerful feeling. But it was a close call. Some folks would prefer the smoother approach of the Sony, I'm sure.

Another place where the Beyer won in my heart was with Steve Lawler. Progressive house always feels better with a deep powerful bass line, something the 770 are King at. However, let it be known that the Sony did a better job reproducing the harmonics and tones of the various synthesizers. And despite the "average" quality of the recording, it was still very listenable.

Elastica. Superb midrange with the Sony. The guitars were, hmmm, incisive (as they should). Vocals easy to hear. Great rhythm. Coherent. Spacious. With the Beyer? Things sounded closed in, as if the studio was halved and the walls made of cement instead of wood. The music also sounded more powerful, more macho. Which was more rock? I really don't know. I think both cans made this album shine. It is a very nice album. Go buy it.

Conclusions, take 2

I seem to have repeated the same thing in each of those album comparisons: the Sony have a nice relaxed sound, great midrange, good imaging. Detailed, yet never hard, strident or fatiguing. Great presentation of harmonics and instrument tones. The bass is not world class (rolls off at 35Hz or so I'd say, even if I must contradict Sony who claim extension to 5Hz), but it's tight, musical, well integrated. The most comfortable I have tried (and I tried a lot of comfy models, including the HD600, K501, Stax and my Beyer: they are nowhere close). At $200 list, a little pricey. At $120, I think they are excellent value, easily competing with models from Sennheiser, AKG, Beyer, etc.

But, you can buy them new for $75 on ebay. That's an amazing deal. $32 on ecost, it's unbelievable. Seriously. They are great headphones: leagues better than my Grado SR60 or Sony V6.

If you can live with open headphones (they leak sound): buy them. They are such a good value at their current closeout price.

Oct 15, 2003 at 2:02 AM Post #2 of 20
Great review, DesBen! I own the next model up, the biocellulose-diaphragm-based MDR-CD2000, and I'd rate that 'phone as just a tad below the Senn HD580/HD600 in overall sound quality. But you'd need a really good amp for the HD580/HD600 just for those 'phones to outperform the CD2K.

Going by that logic, then the CD780 should stomp upon the Senn HD570, and come within reach of the overrated HD590.

Oct 15, 2003 at 2:05 AM Post #3 of 20
The CD780s are better than the HD590s, at least when I demoed them, they blew past, and cremated the 590s, which are a waste of money at 80 dollars, which the 780s are usually found for, they might be light, but the sound is light in terms of goodness, they are also harder to drive than the CD780s, so I see no point in buying them.

Oct 15, 2003 at 2:09 AM Post #4 of 20
Thanks for the review. Looking forward to the 780's arriving in the mail.

You didn't mention how they sound compared to your V300's?
very_evil_smiley.gif

Oct 15, 2003 at 2:11 AM Post #5 of 20
Oh God oh God I can't wait to get my $31 CD780s in the mail tomorrow oh I can't wait oh somebody help me if they're even better than the CD580s I am going to go INSANE oh my I can't wait somebody help me thank you for the review thank you thank you my CD580s already stomp on and creamate the V6s and the D66 Eggos if the CD780s are even better than the CD580s I am going to freak thank you for the review I can't wait.
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

Oct 15, 2003 at 2:17 AM Post #6 of 20
DesBen - I did not want to buy more headphones....i just purchased a pair of the $40 V-6s for back up/spare parts for my old pair. Your claims of superior comfort of the cd780 are tempting me to purchase a pair for use on my computer! How can you do this to me? Tell me it was all a lie; the cd780 is really uncomfortable in reality? :p

-Chris

Oct 15, 2003 at 2:27 AM Post #7 of 20
Actually, part of the reason why I just bought a pair is because I plan on using them at the computer this winter. I think they will make great computer headphones. And they are so comfortable, I should have no problem wearing them during 7 hour coding marathons.

The V6 pads hurt the ears after 1-2 hours. And you get hot ears. You wouldn't have these problems with the 780 and they sound much better. $32, you can afford it. You'll be kicking yourself later if you don't.

blessingx, my V300 were no worse than your V200
wink.gif

Oct 15, 2003 at 2:39 AM Post #9 of 20
DesBen - I was looking for DISCOURAGEMENT. Your a lot of help! LOL.

As far as 'sounding better'; this is treading the dreaded subjective realm, which I don't care to discuss without at least some suppositions attempting to quantify 'why'. :)

-Chris

Oct 15, 2003 at 3:35 AM Post #11 of 20
Quote:

Originally posted by raif someone compare them to the sbc hp890s before the sell ends if they are better I will give the philips to my mom(she is in love with them) and have an excuse to buy a new pair of phones.

Don't know if you can triangulate some characteristics off this HD910/CD780 comparison.

And DesBen, I don't think it's possible for anything to sound worse than my old V200's.

Oct 15, 2003 at 4:05 AM Post #12 of 20
Where are you finding these low prices, I want another pair for my friend.

Oct 15, 2003 at 4:12 AM Post #13 of 20
Oct 15, 2003 at 4:19 AM Post #14 of 20
I think I may have before, but I'd be happy to do so again. The long and short of it is that the big one's win. The eggos are great, but the sound of the 780 is much more "there" and full, they sound far more substantial and are far more comfortable. The bass on the 780 is much better, the mids are somewhat better, and the highs are only slightly better. I ended up selling my D66 to a friend that now swears by them because I was short for cash, and the 780 and KSC50 covered the eggo's job well enough that I felt OK selling them. If you have the D66 now, you may want to demo the 780 before you make an investment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back