MDR-CD3000....where to next?
Jan 1, 2009 at 5:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

IceClass

Headphoneus Supremus
I've been enjoying my CD3Ks immensely for a while now and am ready to go to the next level in closed dynamic headphones.

I would be interested in hearing from head-fiers who have owned the CD3K and who moved on up.

What did you move to and what 'phones would you recommend as a step up from the CD3Ks?

Jan 1, 2009 at 7:38 PM Post #2 of 34
Turn them into K3000's maybe?
wink.gif
tongue.gif

k3000qx0.jpg

Jan 1, 2009 at 8:19 PM Post #3 of 34
First... sell them to me... then profit!

J/K - what part of the sound do you like? Have you tried the SA5000?

Seriously though... let me know if you plan on selling them
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 1, 2009 at 8:26 PM Post #4 of 34
Is this recommendation from personal experience KR and is it really a worthwhile step up and investment?

No offence to the guy at Headphile but as much as I admire the beauty of the workmanship and design of their work and truly aspire to own one of their headphone stands, I've always looked upon their stuff as little more than expensive vanity products.

Jan 1, 2009 at 8:29 PM Post #5 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by M3NTAL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
J/K - what part of the sound do you like? Have you tried the SA5000?

Seriously though... let me know if you plan on selling them
smily_headphones1.gif

No, I'm not yet selling my CD3Ks. I'd like to keep them at least long enough to compare to my next closed dynamic cans.

If and when I decide to flog them, I'll be sure to sell them through head-fi.
wink_face.gif

I haven't even considered the SA5000s. I thought they were open backed.

Jan 1, 2009 at 8:34 PM Post #6 of 34
^ Sadly I can't say its from personal experience.
I actually am looking for a pair of K3000 (modified CD3000), found your post and could not resist dropping a line.
smile.gif

Besides looking at pictures and reading impressions I have no experience with Headphile. So can't comment on the "expensive vanity products" line...

Jan 1, 2009 at 8:44 PM Post #8 of 34
Check out some of the impressions on AT's A2000X. It sounds like a good candidate.

I've used the CD3k for about a year a few years ago. All the headphones I've bought with within the past couple of months have strayed from the CD3K sound, except the K1000. I'd say the K1000 is at another level, but in the same category. The CD3k are what I consider a bit lean, cool, detail oriented. It has cavernous soundstage (though sounded like closed phone) and I preferred it to the HD650 at the time. I guess cause it was easier to drive, and that I am probably a detail freak after all.

The A2000X looks pretty intriguing to me since it sounds like it could be a good reference headphones. They are called art monitors. I was hoping they'd be a full sized ESW10, but that doesn't appear to be the case. A few of the impressions also mention that the A2000X are detailed, yet forgiving. A very big plus there. Seems like they're also bass light. I feel that a lot of phones are bass heavy to my ears, so it might be right for me. I want to get them, but I think I'm going to mess around with source swapping/upgrades before then. I'm also hoping the A2000X will drop in price within a few months as they are pretty new.

Other high-end closed headphones to look at are the Denon AH-D7000, JVC DX1000, and the AT-W5000. I think the A2000X is the most logical step up in terms of similarities, but I have zero experience with any of these closed headphones. Just basing my thoughts on what I've read.

Jan 3, 2009 at 5:54 PM Post #9 of 34
In my opinion there is nowhere to go next in the context of closed headphones.They are better than all the available high end ones i have heard.The only ones i have hot heard are the Denon 7000 which are meant to be superb.I think a lot of people have forgotten just how good the 3000's are.I even prefer them to the R10 which i sold to Ray Samuels.
I know most Head-fiers will find this strange but i found the R10'S too polite and i do not like loud rock music.I have been advised you need the right headphone amplifier to bring out the best in the R10.
There is a more or less mint one with new ear pads for sale on EBAY from a guy in Turkey which i am amazed has not gone as the price is quite low

Jan 3, 2009 at 6:23 PM Post #10 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just basing my thoughts on what I've read.

Thanks for relaying what you've read but I'm really hoping to hear from folks who have actually owned the CD3K and then moved on but stayed with closed dynamics.

Jan 3, 2009 at 7:38 PM Post #11 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by andy kennedy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In my opinion there is nowhere to go next in the context of closed headphones.They are better than all the available high end ones i have heard.The only ones i have hot heard are the Denon 7000 which are meant to be superb.I think a lot of people have forgotten just how good the 3000's are.I even prefer them to the R10 which i sold to Ray Samuels.
I know most Head-fiers will find this strange but i found the R10'S too polite and i do not like loud rock music.I have been advised you need the right headphone amplifier to bring out the best in the R10.
There is a more or less mint one with new ear pads for sale on EBAY from a guy in Turkey which i am amazed has not gone as the price is quite low

So, how do you rank them against the Stax 4070? Since you obviously have heard both...

Jan 5, 2009 at 5:35 PM Post #12 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by andy kennedy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In my opinion there is nowhere to go next in the context of closed headphones.They are better than all the available high end ones i have heard.

Say it ain't so, dude.
confused_face.gif

Jan 5, 2009 at 6:49 PM Post #13 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by IceClass /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Say it ain't so, dude.
confused_face.gif

The main word are probably "i have heard", and that its his impressions.
Since our preferences vary it certainly don't have to be the end of the line closed-back 'phone for you.
smile.gif

I have never heard the MDR-CD3000, so can't comment on the sound.

Jan 5, 2009 at 6:59 PM Post #14 of 34
Adored my CD3000. Absolutely.

Sold them to get & modify the MS Pro. Didn't regret it, the Ulti is as good as the Sony, but it's a 1st class allrounder. The CD3K was somewhat restricted in that respect.

Jan 5, 2009 at 7:00 PM Post #15 of 34
I am a new member and i thought this was a site where peoples opinions are respected.I am not impressed by the post made by ice glass.Remember the three most important words on any civilised forum are in my opinion.I am still of the opinion that the 3000 is the best closed headphone i have heard including the Stax 4070.This has put me off posting any future comments

Users who are viewing this thread

Back