MDR-7509, discontinued?
Jul 23, 2002 at 12:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Magicthyse

Better to look good than to sound good!
Are these really discontinued? The auto-cutoff feature seems extremely cool for portable use and the specs seem perfect for portable again too...?

Jul 23, 2002 at 12:22 AM Post #2 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by Magicthyse
Are these really discontinued? The auto-cutoff feature seems extremely cool for portable use and the specs seem perfect for portable again too...?

The 7509's appear to be the 900's **** dj cans in disguise, noted as being professional cans, so your gonna pay through the nose for them. Check out marsmusic.com to see if their available. If you really want a good closed can with visceral bass, look into the beyerdynamic DT770-250's (although not very portable).

Jul 23, 2002 at 6:57 AM Post #3 of 12
Sigh.

I don't remember saying I wanted visceral bass.
And "Although not very portable" is an understatement.

Have you tried the 900?

Jul 23, 2002 at 12:04 PM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

Sigh.

I don't remember saying I wanted visceral bass.
And "Although not very portable" is an understatement.

Have you tried the 900?

**** no, i dont need to try them, i tried one pair of those godawful dj cans you own...their turd man, total ****.

Do yourself a favor, go buy a decent pair of headphones...you have absolutely no clue what your talking about.

You mentioned your ****ty 700's as having "visceral" bass (which it turns, is actually boomy and sloppy), so i figured you wanted something along those lines, but done right (read: 7506's or v6's).

if you ever want to hear what real bass out of a headphone should sound like, pick up the beyer dt770-250's.

Jul 23, 2002 at 7:49 PM Post #5 of 12
So you haven't tried them and of course, you're so amazingly knowledgeable that you can just trash'em like that.

I have other phones - an SR60 and an SR225, as well as a Jecklin Float and a HD280 - and an ATH-A9X is on the way to replace the 280. The 225 is driven off a Headline amp with a separate Flatcap2 PS. Not super-duper stuff, but ample for me to know what I'm talking about I would imagine.

The reason I asked about the 7509 is that they look easy to drive - which is what I'm looking for, and yes, I too know that they are probably slightly rejigged V900's - and the V900 is less unbalanced than the 700. That's kind of what I'm after as a second portable phone.

I like the V700 for specific types of music, driven off relatively low-power equipment, when on the move. I wouldn't use them in the house. I think bearing in mind my experiences, other people might like the same thing too.

That a problem for you?

Jul 23, 2002 at 8:52 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

So you haven't tried them and of course, you're so amazingly knowledgeable that you can just trash'em like that.

I have other phones - an SR60 and an SR225, as well as a Jecklin Float and a HD280 - and an ATH-A9X is on the way to replace the 280. The 225 is driven off a Headline amp with a separate Flatcap2 PS. Not super-duper stuff, but ample for me to know what I'm talking about I would imagine.

The reason I asked about the 7509 is that they look easy to drive - which is what I'm looking for, and yes, I too know that they are probably slightly rejigged V900's - and the V900 is less unbalanced than the 700. That's kind of what I'm after as a second portable phone.

I like the V700 for specific types of music, driven off relatively low-power equipment, when on the move. I wouldn't use them in the house. I think bearing in mind my experiences, other people might like the same thing too.

That a problem for you?

The only problem i have is that you think their good cans and you actually recommended them...dont recommend junk.

Gluegun, where you at?

confused.gif

Jul 23, 2002 at 9:28 PM Post #7 of 12
That is such a weak-ass comeback...

Jul 23, 2002 at 11:26 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

That is such a weak-ass comeback...

Comeback? Uh, i'm not 10 years old jackass, where do we find these idiots?
confused.gif

Jul 24, 2002 at 2:48 AM Post #9 of 12
wow look at the hostilities

but
hey

i had the v700 b4
very nice looking, and cool ergonomical features

too bad they couldn't make them sound accurate
that bass hump is far beyond excessive

for djing, how can you say they are better than the next
the isolation isn't all that good neither

the v6 is must more pratical
scratches are more clear
and tighter
the beat juggling is far more accurate with v6's
and mixing accupella's with a dope beat
is far easier when you can hear the accupella without excessive mid-bass

sorry
but that's the god honest truth

i mean if you are mr. rave and think that silver will make you all the quicker on the crossfader

then my gib tech buddy, you are wrong

Jul 24, 2002 at 7:20 AM Post #10 of 12
Yeah. look at the hostilities.

I don't DJ. Anyhow. anyone care to jump in with actual info about the 7509? Not some guy who jumps in with a recommendation for 600ohm phones instead of a 24?

Jul 24, 2002 at 10:11 AM Post #11 of 12
I've heard the V7509/V900s before. They're essentially the big brother of the V600s. If I got V900s, it'd be for one reason only. Because they're circumaural. I certainly wouldn't buy them for the sound. For the price I'd take the V6s with change leftover anyday of the week over the V900s.

If they're discontinued, I say, good riddance. And don't let the door hit it on its way out.

Jul 24, 2002 at 10:59 AM Post #12 of 12
Hmm. OK, mebbe I'll give it a miss then. The auto-cutout is a cool idea though.

I think I've asked this before - but noone makes anything like the 'Grado Sound' for closed phones? A more musical sound than the HD280 for example?

The 7506 I tried wasn't broken in and I came away with a fairly neutral impression. Although comfort was a good point.

My Jecklin is on it's last legs as it were so will need replacing. But really it's been taken over by the SR225. I'm happy with the 225 for the moment for my main system use - but I'm appreciating the convenience of closed phones more for use with my other systems around my house where there's more noise than my 'listening room'.

The other systems are a Sony TAF-E570 amp, a Yamaha AX-430 amp, a Sony DHC-MD595 system, and of course the PC's - SBLive! Platinum, Audigy Platinum EX and Guillemot ISIS - hardly high-end stuff but usable nevertheless. I'm looking to get the best possible sound out of these. Coloring isn't an issue as long as it colors in the same way as Grado. I really, really like the sound of the SR60 and the 225.

It's a fact for me that I listen to a lot more classical music when I'm at home, yet I listen almost exclusively to nu-metal / dance / blues / alternative when I'm outside.

The ATH-A9X I'm getting should hopefully be all-purpose phone no.1 with strong bass. For no.2, I'd be looking at something a lot more comfortable than the HD280, having the same sort of balance in sound but with a much more musical bent.

Ideally, both should be driveable from a portable without an amp - after all, what's the point of having a super-compact MD player when your amp is bigger than the MD unit?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back