MDR 7506 question
Nov 7, 2002 at 2:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

mberlin74

New Head-Fier
I guess I didnt ask the right question in my last post. If the $30 dollar diff were not an object would it be better to go with the 7506's rather than the V6's. Sorry to harp on the same type of question but this is my first real pair of phones and I want to make a good decision. I would also like to purchase them in the very near future. Thanks again

Nov 7, 2002 at 2:56 AM Post #2 of 12
It would be slightly better. The biggest difference between the two cans is that the MDR-7506 comes with a five year warranty, four years longer than the MDR-V6's. However, considering that one of the reasons these headphones are so great is that they don't break, and since they're only $70 to begin with, paying $30 for four extra years of warranty doesn't seem smart.

Other than that, the only non-cosmetic difference is the plug. The nickel-plated plug on the MDR-V6 will not corrode unless you are into underwater headphone listening. The MDR-7506's gold plug has little other benefit, unless you constantly twist it in the jack as you listen -- the gold plug has slightly better microphonic reduction when it's being moved.

So, no, it's not worth it to get the MDR-7506 over the MDR-V6 if they're both available to you. Well, unless you like blue a lot better than red or the word "professional" better than the phrase "for digital."

kerely

Nov 7, 2002 at 3:07 AM Post #3 of 12
No, its really not. The gold plated plug isn't worth $30, and although the warranty is nice, I haven't heard of anyone having any problems with these cans. Heck, they are a mainstay in a TON of different industries. Get em while you can!

Nov 7, 2002 at 8:23 AM Post #4 of 12
I had 2 pairs die on me. On both occasions the left side driver apparently blew. Sony wanted to charge me around $40 plus a possible $21 applicable charge on top of that to repair it and I was still under the 1 year warranty.

Nov 7, 2002 at 9:16 AM Post #5 of 12
Out of curiosity, what'd they say? You had em turned up too loud and they considered it abuse?

Sad....61 bucks possibly + shipping to get it fixed....and you can find em new for what? 69?

What a market we live in.
biggrin.gif

Nov 7, 2002 at 8:11 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by mook
Out of curiosity, what'd they say? You had em turned up too loud and they considered it abuse?

Sad....61 bucks possibly + shipping to get it fixed....and you can find em new for what? 69?

What a market we live in.
biggrin.gif

lol Mook!

Ironically, I bet it was faulty soldering that caused intermittent / no sound out of that drive unit... I've taken my V6 to hell and back, and they've still come out smelling of roses
biggrin.gif

(It's well known with the regs here that I listen to my headphones far too loudly
eek.gif
)

Nov 7, 2002 at 8:34 PM Post #8 of 12
Actually, the price that Sony quotes for fixing product includes the shipping cost. But, you do have to send it certified/insured so they have a record it arrived. Using USPS insured up to $100 (same cost as $5), shipping to Sony would be under $6.00.

Nov 7, 2002 at 8:45 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by dokebi
So, since I do not plan on sending them in for repairs. Should I try re-soldering them? Seems that the driver is just blown to me.

They're quite modular... if you take the earpad off, there are a couple of screws visible, undo those, and the earpiece comes apart... by rights, if the wiring is at fault, you'll see it there and then...

Don't forget though, if that is the case, that Sony puts lacquer on their cables... so you have to burn that off of the wire first...
frown.gif

Nov 7, 2002 at 9:50 PM Post #10 of 12
So better than my 7509's smell then
biggrin.gif

I'll have the 7506 by the time we're meeting up next, if we are... I'm also curious to see if Sony are ripping us off, we can compare?

I may have to bring a wheelbarrow to the meet
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally posted by Duncan
lol Mook!

Ironically, I bet it was faulty soldering that caused intermittent / no sound out of that drive unit... I've taken my V6 to hell and back, and they've still come out smelling of roses
biggrin.gif

(It's well known with the regs here that I listen to my headphones far too loudly
eek.gif
)

Nov 7, 2002 at 10:09 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by bangraman
So better than my 7509's smell then
biggrin.gif

I'll have the 7506 by the time we're meeting up next, if we are... I'm also curious to see if Sony are ripping us off, we can compare?

I may have to bring a wheelbarrow to the meet
biggrin.gif

lol... would be good to do an A/B of the V6/7506...

You'd have to put plenty of hours on the 7506 first though... just incase the burn-in phenomenen would work against one or the other pair (just to be totally fair)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back