"MDR-010SL" cable
Mar 15, 2005 at 1:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

bangraman

Headphoneus Supremus
I need to recable the Qualia with a much shorter cable for transportable use. This means a metre or under, with a 3.5mm plug and NO TECHFLEX.

I've PM'd Drew but got no reply... perhaps he thought I was doing it for a laugh.

Who apart from Moon Audio can do an aftermarket Q010 cable and which should I pick? Something which rolls off the extreme (and I mean extreme) treble might be desirable, but erring on the side of a straight through cable might be better to start with. Requirement is right now. Thanks.

Mar 15, 2005 at 8:03 PM Post #2 of 11
If you're patient and can wait 60 to 90 days, i'm sure Cardas Audio can do that. For an headphone like Qualia ($3,000) I would not hesitate to spend $1,500 on some Golden Reference headphone cable.
biggrin.gif

More 'realistically' for a portable use (are you serious?
tongue.gif
) the standart Cardas blue cable should be enough, but maybe you'll need to send the stock cable to Cardas, so they can check the polarity of the Lemo plug?

You can ask Brian at Cardas but they won't make the deal directly with you, you have to check with your local distributor for payment and order.

Mar 15, 2005 at 8:09 PM Post #3 of 11
Portable use???? Are you serious? Man for your own good, be realistic, the cable alone will be a reason, and more than enough, to smack you out and run away with the goods.....
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

Mar 15, 2005 at 8:49 PM Post #4 of 11
I believe he said transportable, meaning he can take them different places and not have to worry about the cable. I don't think he means (and I hope he doesn't) that he wants to use them portably. Isn't it a little risky wearing $3000 cans around on the street? I mean Sony is a well known brand so there is a much greater chance of theft than with, say, Grados or AKGs.

Mar 18, 2005 at 9:28 AM Post #6 of 11
Larry at headphile.com is the other obvious choice besides Drew. You can count on either one to do professional work, and to work with you to meet your specifications. Odd that Drew hasn't responded. He's usually quite punctual.

Mar 31, 2005 at 4:15 PM Post #8 of 11
On Moon-Audio's headphone cables page:

Quote:

Black Dragon Qualia 010 Headphone Replacement Cable

[Image here]

Portable Audio Version (yes there are crazy people out there using the Qualia with their portable setup)

How do they sound?

Mar 31, 2005 at 6:24 PM Post #9 of 11
(shakes fist at Moon Audio) I just spotted that
biggrin.gif

I think I managed to jam one of the Lemo connectors so I'm having slight problems getting it off to mount the standard cable again. It might be psychological or new toy fever, but I get the feeling that some of the odd-room sound of the stock 010 has gone.

Mar 31, 2005 at 7:32 PM Post #10 of 11
bangraman
If that top end still bothers you perhaps a little filter module is in order.
evil_smiley.gif

Maybe just a simple cap to shunt out some of the unwanted high end?

Just a thought..

Setmenu

Mar 31, 2005 at 7:44 PM Post #11 of 11
I was thinking about the same thing. But actually that's one of the reasons I went portable (apart from the fact that it'd get used more)... that portables have EQ, and the Karma has frankly unbelievable EQ capability for a handheld device. I'm also going with a DSP equipped set-up (hardware EQ) for my laptop-based transportable system.

A very interesting development is that while with the stock cable I had a top-end reduction EQ, with the Black Dragon I've gone back to flat. I'm not concluding anything however at this stage. They haven't radically changed, and it is still not difficult to pick up the errant echoes, but there does seem to be a change, and for the better. Fortunately (or unfortunately for portables?) the ability of the Qualias to make even medium-bitrate compressed audio a wince-inducing experience seems not to have been affected.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back