MD33s, when no music on, I hear this "buzz"
Jan 18, 2005 at 9:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

w0lla

100+ Head-Fier
So I got my MD33s today
smily_headphones1.gif
, sounds nice. But when I plug them in to my receiver (yamaha 430) and have no music on I can hear this buzzing noise, is that normal ? same goes when I plug them to my mp3(Nex II)player,
confused.gif

Jan 18, 2005 at 3:35 PM Post #3 of 13
I believe that happens because you have your amp (sound volume) set to the max, or something like that...that's what causes the buzz probably, can u hear it if you turn down the volume? (its a common issue i guess).

Jan 18, 2005 at 6:10 PM Post #5 of 13
are you using the adapter for 3 pole sources??

Jan 18, 2005 at 7:11 PM Post #6 of 13
Make sure youre using that 3-pole adapter.

What impedence are those MD33s? Make certain your source is capable of CLEANLY driving the impedence load presented by the MD33. My HA2 has difficulty powering my EX51 and even more my e2c both are 16 ohms. My e2c is unlistenable, while the EX51 is only bothersome on quiet music passages. It will power them just fine, but the noise floor is a killer. I dont have this problem at all on my KSC75, DT770 or V6.. all above 60ohms.

The e2c is very sensitive too (in addition to its low impedence) so any artifacts produced by the source will get picked up.

As others have said try and keep your gains down and your EQ curve as flat as possible. Any kind of treble boost will make it worse.

IMHO this is a very important aspect of the EX51 and e2c that few on this board ever mention... Fortunately for me both work well with my creative muvo and T40 laptop.

**edit**

Is your receiver plugged into the same circuit as a rheostat (dimmer)? I have one of those in my house and it causes all kinds of buzzes and hickups with my tube amps. Although... I dont think this is the source of your problem...

Garrett

Jan 18, 2005 at 8:02 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by w0lla
yeah Iam using the extension cable ( 4 to 3 ), but the weird thing is when I tried it on my friends ipod, there was no buzz sound.

Yup... sounds like an impedence issue (IMHO). My e2c works great with the headphone out on all my portables, but on my HA2 amp the noise floor horrible.

Do you have another headphone you can plug into your Yamaha receiver? and A/B compare? This surprises me because I had always heard Yamaha preamps and receivers have a well designed headphone amp circuit.... like 1W output.

Someone makes impedence adapters 75 and 120 ohms. I forget who. If it is an impedence mis-match issue this might be your ticket.

**edit**

Is the MD33 a 16ohm phone?

Garrett

Jan 18, 2005 at 8:27 PM Post #9 of 13
I believer they're 16ohm, it would be an easy DIY to up the resistance to clean up some of the noise, at the sacrifice of volume. Try using a film canister or something similar as a really cheap container, and make sure you hand match the resistors.

(unless i'm completely off-base here)

Jan 18, 2005 at 8:43 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by UserNotFound
I believer they're 16ohm, it would be an easy DIY to up the resistance to clean up some of the noise, at the sacrifice of volume. Try using a film canister or something similar as a really cheap container, and make sure you hand match the resistors.

(unless i'm completely off-base here)

How does that work? Do you just wire a resistor in series?

My understanding is that impedence is inductive and frequency dependent. Where resistors are purely resistive....

????

Garrett

Jan 18, 2005 at 8:49 PM Post #12 of 13
you might also want to look for ground loops. The first test is to disconnect your coax TV cable from the wall if you happen to have a audio/video combination system. Second, try plugging all your equipment into a single outlet using an extension strip and a 3->2 prong cheater plug.

Jan 18, 2005 at 9:06 PM Post #13 of 13
well, it may not, i know you can adjust an amp by using different resistor values for the output load to match whatever headphones you're using. lemme find what CMoy had to say about that....

R5 is an optional load resistor, which reduces residual hiss when the amp is driving low impedance headphones such as the Grados (32 ohms). Because the voltage drop across R5 reduces the maximum output of the amplifier, I recommend trying a 50 ohm resistor first (or as low as 30 ohms). If there is still residual hiss with low impedance phones, then increase the resistor value to 100 ohms.

...but being an ac signal, you might have to use a transformer(and a cap?) for inline headphone impenance increasing????

i might just be pulling stuff out of my ass, but i'm sure someone knows

Users who are viewing this thread

Back