md33 vs. ex71
Mar 16, 2005 at 1:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

jnev

100+ Head-Fier
my zen micro needs a companion. which would be the best choice? i was isolation, good sq, comfort, and ease of use. which of these would you pick? alos, is there any place other than audiocubes where i can order these?

thanks

Mar 16, 2005 at 2:02 AM Post #2 of 17
Rumor has it that the MD-33's are better.

BTW, congrats on getting another DAP to replace your stolen one.

Mar 16, 2005 at 2:48 AM Post #3 of 17
I just received the MD33-S from audiocubes today and I find them very enjoyable right out of the box. I've been listening just about non-stop from various portables (iPods and MDs) and find them to have just the right amount of bass, mid-range details, and a nice top end. They are also extremely lightweight and comfy......I don't even know they're there.
I haven't heard the Sonys, so I can't comment on those.
As far as obtaining them goes, I believe the Sharps are direct from Japan are only available from audiocubes @ $49 shipped, while the Sonys (white ones only) are on sale at Minidisco for $29.95 plus around $6 shipping.
Hope this helps.
biggrin.gif

Mar 16, 2005 at 4:22 AM Post #7 of 17
Unfortunetly I don't own both the MD3S & the EX71 but I have read many posts about both of them. From the posts I have read & the people I have talked to about them the MD33S is much more respected as a hi-fi headphone and the EX71 is a bass head's dream.

If you do decide to purchase the MD33S I would encourage you to purchase them from audiocubes. Helping the sponsors helps the community.

Mar 16, 2005 at 5:35 AM Post #8 of 17
isn't that the only place that even sells them?? lol...

i looked everywhere on the internet and finally found someone linking them to audiocubes. haven't found any other place that stocks the md33's.

Mar 16, 2005 at 5:39 AM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by PTheD
the EX71 is a bass head's dream.

I agree. Although the bass on the md33 is no slouch.

Mar 16, 2005 at 7:52 AM Post #10 of 17
i have both md33 and ex71...

the md33 simply sounds better.

it also has strong bass (similar to the ex71 but not bloated that much) but it has better highs and mids. the ex71 has very strange-sounding treble and no mids at all, it sounds really muddy. although one can get used to the sony sound after a while, you will certainly love the sharp-sound more.

comfortwise both are quite the same, as the eartips are very similar too. you can even exchange them and use the sony tips on the sharp.

but don't forget that the sharp have a 4-pole-plug. so either you use them with the extension-cable or you solder and make a 3-pole-plug out of it. search for 4-pole - 3-pole mod in this forum, it is explained well how to solder it.

i would go for the sharp.

Mar 16, 2005 at 10:29 AM Post #11 of 17
I have both and use the MD33s a lot, lot more. They are both great for cycling as they are comfy and don't fall out. The Sharp's have better detail, better higher treble, less muddy mids and a bass range with more than a single note. Sure, I enjoyed the Sony EX71 canalphones until I got the Sharps, but I got the sharps for a reason....

Both are extremely comfortable. Beware if you damage the silicon/rubber covers on the Sony's they are expensive to replace (a single medium size set cost me A$20 or about US$15).

TonyAAA

Mar 17, 2005 at 6:13 PM Post #14 of 17
Mar 17, 2005 at 6:59 PM Post #15 of 17
I have never seen anyone post a notable difference in the sound of the EX51 & the EX71.

That being said most people think the MD33S is a better value than the EX71. I guess you would have to make the decision based on the prices you can get and your understanding of the MD33S & the EX51. I would still go for the MD33S, but maybe I should just shut up and talk about something I know about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back