MD Users
Dec 15, 2001 at 11:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

TimSchirmer

Repelling digital infidels. (Would that be called the Digifadah?)
so, what actually are the highest quality blanks? I need to pick one kind, because i plan to buy them in bulk. I cant decide whether do go with sony niege, TDK pro, or Sony ES. (I do realize that this wont make a huge differnce in sound)

Dec 16, 2001 at 12:15 AM Post #3 of 13
yes, i did realize this, common knowledge tells me that pro is better, but i just want to hear from someone who has used these before.

Dec 16, 2001 at 2:45 AM Post #4 of 13
If you believe in blanks making a difference in sound, TDK's XA-PRO is the best; its shell is at least double the weight of most cheap MD blanks, and that makes the difference. I have friends who didn't believe in blanks making a difference until he heard the XA-PRO.

You don't believe in that? I don't mind.
biggrin.gif
In either case, it seems that the XA-PRO production has ended.

The hierarchy for the Japanese brands goes:

Sony MD2000, TDK XA-PRO (pretty much tie, but priced very differently)
Sony ES/Professional (same shell), Axia Pro
Maxell Music Gear (formerly Pure Platinum/Gold), Sony Prism
all the color ones, Neige, Maxell SX

Several "relatively high-quality" blanks are no longer in production, like the Maxell XL and the TDK XA.

In Japan, you'd often be able to buy the "number 2 class" blanks (Sony ES, etc) for the same price as the cheaper blanks, so while they're good quality, I don't see any reason that you're charged more than a couple $ extra for them.

An instant benefit of the ES is that you can write on the shells in pencil, and also pretty much rub them out with an eraser. If you're looking for higher quality stuff, the ES wouldn't be a bad choice, given that they're not priced too differently from the basic blanks.

I'm currently using: TDK XA-PRO, Maxell XL, Maxell Pure Platinum, Sony ES, Sony Prism, Sony Neige. My personal favorite is the Pure Platinum; I think it's ES-class but I'm not totally sure.

Dec 16, 2001 at 3:21 AM Post #5 of 13
I currently don't have a MD player, but when I did I only used Sony ES and the Sony Red Hot's... Both were great, but expensive. I just didn't wanna take any chances on discs ruining my portable
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 16, 2001 at 4:19 AM Post #6 of 13
Don't bother buying "better" MD blanks. Apart from some cheap Memorex models which have plastic shutters (the plastic shutters tend to jam more easily), you will be well served to buy a high-quality, but inexpensive, brand like Hi-Space, and spend your hard-earned money on something besides gimmicky cases and "gold" colors.

Hi-Space MDs are about $1.30 a piece for 74-minute blanks, and have some of the lowest error rates of any discs. I have around 100 and have not had a single data error or mechanical malfunction:

$12.90 for a 10-pack of blanks:
http://www.minidisco.com/minisecret.html

It says that it expired in October, but I just bought two boxes last week
wink.gif

Dec 21, 2001 at 10:20 AM Post #7 of 13
Here is a visual on all the different blanks I've tried (I keep a sealed blank for my collection every time I try a new type):

Blanks

I've never been able to discern any audible differences from brand to brand. Build quality differs for sure but to my ears, not the sound.

Dec 21, 2001 at 12:54 PM Post #8 of 13
I have around 50 or 60 minidisc blanks from Sony (regular and ES), TDK, Maxell, and Hi-Space, and the only problems I've had was with a couple of the cheap Hi-Space blanks. I think they were from the same pack, so it may have been a problem with that batch. Most of the Hi-Space blanks I have I got free from Minidisco, given the choice I usually buy Sony or TDK.

-Keith

Dec 21, 2001 at 3:44 PM Post #9 of 13
For me, in everyday portable use the much bigger factor is the cases that come with it. My early maxell had that slide in case that doesn't hold the MDs very well, whereas my BASF have wonderful compact casette type cases, very secure.

Legoman

Dec 21, 2001 at 6:55 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by RickG
I personally prefer the AXIA Hello Kitty blanks.
wink.gif
They're purrrrfect!

LOL, Rick, I bought the woman in my life a pack of those once... they're actually neat in that the cases they come in are really cool. But whew--expensive!

Dec 22, 2001 at 6:34 AM Post #13 of 13
If Sony's going to do the coating, they probably did it on the wrong edges of the cartridge? Like on the Prism... the coating appears on the two sides the disc holder don't clamp onto :p

Hello Kitty... I've got three from Hyperjack purchases, and they're all used for classical music.

For some reason, Pure Platinum is still my all-time favorite. Actually I've been waiting for an MD blank with the look and feel of the XL-S cassettes... but for now these will do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back