MD Rookie Looking For MD Recommendations
Sep 15, 2002 at 9:02 PM Post #17 of 27
I don't think you can record straight from the phono output. but analog recording from your phono stage or form an amp which has a line output, you should be able to do analog recording as easy as anything.

Sep 15, 2002 at 9:09 PM Post #18 of 27
Quote:

Originally posted by Braver
I don't think you can record straight from the phono output. but analog recording from your phono stage or form an amp which has a line output, you should be able to do analog recording as easy as anything.

That's what I was thinking. Since I have a 1/8" inch to RCA cable, I will hook it from the rec in jack of my receiver/preamp to the MD and record. It sounds like it's easy.

Are recording levels set automatically, or do you have to set them manually?

Sep 15, 2002 at 9:46 PM Post #19 of 27
Recording level is set manually on Sharp portables, and there's no automatic option
biggrin.gif

Edit - the MT180 is capable of putting out a line signal.

Sep 16, 2002 at 9:48 AM Post #21 of 27
Quote:

Originally posted by leon
Edit - the MT180 is capable of putting out a line signal.

Than double-thanks for recommending it.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Sep 16, 2002 at 3:01 PM Post #24 of 27
On Sharps you just turn off the bass boost, and turn volume all the way up to 30. Given those two, the unit should detect the impedance, and start supplying line out-level signal. This is for every Sharp from the 702 to the 888/180 etc, if not earlier.

The reason a lot of people prefer a separate jack is that, in Sharp's setup, the line out signal still goes through the headphone amp. So it may not be as "pure" as signal from a dedicated line out jack. But since dedicated line out is rare these days, it's all about wanting what you've got.

FCJ,
awww! nobody's been so nice to me in years! *weep*

Sep 16, 2002 at 3:47 PM Post #25 of 27
Quote:

Originally posted by leon

But since dedicated line out is rare these days, it's all about wanting what you've got.

It's a shame that line out jacks have become rare. I guess most people want longer battery life and "features" instead of higher quality sound. That makes me weep. . . .

Quote:

awww! nobody's been so nice to me in years! *weep*

Hey, you deserve it for helping me out. What also makes me weep is how rare that type of help is these days (except here, of course!
biggrin.gif

Sep 17, 2002 at 2:10 AM Post #27 of 27
Quote:

Originally posted by MacDEF
BTW, there's always the MZ-R50 for sale in the FS/Trade forum if you want a true line out
wink.gif

It looks tempting. However, I just bought the Sharp MD-MT180. As they say, one at a time. . . .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back