(MD question) Headphone jack (MZ-N707) vs. Line-Out (MZ-N1)
Jan 16, 2003 at 4:17 AM Post #16 of 26
I've just read on the Minidisc T-Forums that the MZ-N707 can be 'hacked' in its firmware to enable most of the features of the MZ-N1 - including the 'line out' feature.

You can read that thread here.

Jan 16, 2003 at 9:25 AM Post #17 of 26
Even with the hack, the N707 won't give a 'true' line out. The N1 has more sophisticated circuitry than the N707 to achieve this. The line out mode in the hacked N707 just turns the volume right up and the sound settings off. Convenient, but in effect adds nothing.

Jan 16, 2003 at 6:44 PM Post #18 of 26
Hello,KJ_Palmer

well,IMO when using the line out mode on a hacked N707 with an amp,it provides much better sound quality than using the headphone out. The bass is much more powerful and the soundstage is somewhat wider. The whole listening experience is really enjoyable.

btw,thanks to Eagle_Driver and the author of that article,I just hacked my N707 last night, now I love this baby even more.
cool.gif

Jan 20, 2003 at 1:23 AM Post #19 of 26
I have a Sony R700PC unit on which I've run this hack, and I'm looking forward to using my super mini V4 with the switched feed, rather than the 5 mW output from the headphone jack.

For certain expanded functions (like playback speed and 8 step eq), one needs an LCD remote, like that which ships with the R900. Audiocubes carries both that remote and the upgraded version replacement.

Actually, it's less a hack and more of a finding built-in options through the Service mode. If the unit isn't capable of supporting certain EEPROM commands, they won't be available--as is the case in models prior to the R500.

If you run this alteration, be careful to write down your original setting values, or get the info for troubleshooting in case of error. There's a detailed dicussion for both the R707 and R700 series' responses at the Minidisc Community Forums here

Jan 20, 2003 at 1:36 AM Post #20 of 26
Two days ago I bought a black MZ-N707. A stock N707 can do 8-step bass/treble adjustments within the two sound presets - without requiring a 'hack'.

Jan 20, 2003 at 11:28 PM Post #21 of 26
I just hacked both my MZ-N707 and MZ-N505 -- thanks Eagle!!!!!!
cool.gif
biggrin.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
tongue.gif
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally posted by Eagle_Driver
I've just read on the Minidisc T-Forums that the MZ-N707 can be 'hacked' in its firmware to enable most of the features of the MZ-N1 - including the 'line out' feature.

Jan 23, 2003 at 1:58 AM Post #23 of 26
Yeah, plus if you're running it through a home stereo or headphone amp, it's great to know you're getting the cleanest possible sound quality.
smily_headphones1.gif
cool.gif

Quote:

Originally posted by Alccode
Yeah, I ended up getting a MZ-N505 and used the hack.

Sure, it's not a true line-out, but for my purposes, it will suffice.

Feb 1, 2003 at 3:14 PM Post #25 of 26
Follow Eagle Driver's link, below. It's a bit risky, so be extremely careful, and do a lot of reading of the thread so you know all the ins and outs and the level of risk.

If you decide you want to control bass and treble in the MZ-N505 after the hack, you'll have to buy a Sony remote for $50 or $60. You'll have line out right away, even without the remote.

Good luck! It's awesome if you pull it off!!! But the MZ-N505 is a top-notch portable even without the hack.
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Feb 1, 2003 at 7:42 PM Post #26 of 26
Quote:

Wahoo!!

I've only had this N707 for about three hours, but... I braved it... and it worked like a charm, except for the PDM feature... but then again it doesn't seem to have worked for anyone else, and do you really miss what you've never had??

Thanks Eagle
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back