MD Player with line-out?
Aug 8, 2001 at 5:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

coolvij

Board geriatric
I am thinking of getting a nice MD player for my birthday instead of a Panasonic portable cd player. I mean, my Sony D-121 is the opposite of portable....
wink.gif

Anyway, I have one prerequisite for any reccomendations. The player HAS to have a line-out.

I have READ that the E75 has a line-out, but I suspect that it really has only a second HEADPHONE jack (argh).

So.....any reccomendations? I luv the stylin on the E90 - but I don't want another headphone jack....

Aug 8, 2001 at 6:49 PM Post #2 of 8
didn't you just get an MD recorder?

If you already have an md, then i'd say money would be much better spent on headphones or a portable CDP, the line out of an MD won't sound as good as a CDP.

And for players only, the sharp with Dolby headphone easily wins hands down, but it does not have line out.

Oh yeah, all the older sony MD players have line out...

Aug 8, 2001 at 7:44 PM Post #3 of 8
Well, thomas - I was just wondering....

Window-shopping....lol

My main reason was that I figured that a MD line out + amp + KSC-50 would be a pretty good "transportable" setup; PCDP line-out + amp + Senn. 495 a good "home" setup; MD + Sony 888s a good portable setup.

I guess the freedom of using my CDs, without havin to dub, is better than having a portable MD player.

However - If anyone has any more info, I'd still like to know...planning purchases is ten times as much fun as actually buying the things, lol....

Aug 8, 2001 at 8:07 PM Post #4 of 8
i'm sure you've seen this, but in case you haven't go to

www.minidisc.org, and go to "equipment browser"... they list all the specs and pictures of the different players... simply too many of them (each manufacturer releases like 10 new models each year x the 10 years the format's been around...)

Earlier this year, i was also deciding between a new MD player or CDP, and while MD players are extremely small, they aren't really any better than using your recorder. And a new CDP will allow you to use your CD collection anywhere (and the newest models can fit inside your pocket, and don't skip..)

Aug 8, 2001 at 10:13 PM Post #5 of 8
coolvij, joelongwood went through this whole discussion a few weeks back
wink.gif

Basically, if you want a very good recorder/player with line-out, try to find a Sony MZ-R50 -- it's built like a tank, and has a *dedicated* line-out. The drawbacks are (because it's a Sony) the record level can't be changed on the fly, and it has the idiotic "end-search" function, but I'm assuming you'll be doing most of your recording on your newer unit anyways (better ATRAC).

By the way, do you really even need the amp with the KSC-50s? I think your current unit will be pretty comparable at driving the 50s. Your Senns, on the other hand, are another story...

thomas wrote:
Quote:

while MD players are extremely small, they aren't really any better than using your recorder

I would disagree with you on that one, thomas. We have three portable recorders in our family, and a Sony MZ-E900 (IMO the best player out there -- the new Sharp with Dolby looks attractive, but can't beat the E900 in every other feature). A dedicated player gives you better battery life, smaller size, and less chance of breakdown (fewer/simpler parts -- important if you'll be moving it around a lot). If you already have a recorder (especially a home deck), I enthusiastically recommend a player for a portable, unless you need to record portably
wink.gif

Aug 8, 2001 at 11:59 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

By the way, do you really even need the amp with the KSC-50s? I think your current unit will be pretty comparable at driving the 50s. Your Senns, on the other hand, are another story...

MacDEF - the KSC-35s (not 50s - my bad!) would be "transportable." As in, when I go on a vacation. And I find the difference between the KSC-35s with and without an amp to be SIGNIFICANT - though only out of a line-out + amp (haven't tried amp + MD headphone jack).

Thomas: I checked minidisc.org, and while the sight rocks - it just doesn't have line-out info. The equipment browser has the "outs" as headphone for EVERYTHING!!! @#!$...

Thanx anyway - me thinks I will stick with CD player for "transportable" - tho MDs are SOO much more, well, um....never mind...

Aug 9, 2001 at 1:36 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Thomas: I checked minidisc.org, and while the sight rocks - it just doesn't have line-out info. The equipment browser has the "outs" as headphone for EVERYTHING!!! @#!$...

coolvij, it does list line-out info; it's just that most simply don't have it anymore
frown.gif
In fact, in terms of players, I only know of a single "player-only" model that *ever* had line-out, the MZ-2P from 1992
wink.gif
)

Aug 9, 2001 at 1:45 AM Post #8 of 8
Really!?

DANG IT!

Well, then, that settles it - my KSC-35 have been demoted to "throw-around" cans...495s stay at home....and 888s get to see the world.

I guess I SHOULD be interested in a source upgrade....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back