MD, Ipod, or CD MP3 Player
Mar 1, 2003 at 9:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

pieman3141

100+ Head-Fier
Questions: Lots of em.

I'm in a fix right now. I'm planning on buying a portable music solution, but I can't decide which. As the thread title suggests, those are my choices. and BTW, the cd mp3 player will be an iRiver IMP-400. Some considerations:

1. Audio quality/headphone quality: This is a must. Any music listener will want this. which will have the best? and if I plug in the headphones it comes with, which set will sound the best?

2. Size: Small == good, but not at the price of durability or quality.

3. Looks: Has to look somewhat ok. And the interface(s) have to be easy to use. Remotes are a plus.

I know the capacities for each, but I have a few questions about the MD and the Ipod in particular.

1. The Ipod uses a 6-pin firewire port. I have a 4-pin port. Can I use a 4-6 pin adapter?

2. How do I get stuff onto an MD? Will the headphone jack on my notebook be sufficient? (it is allegedly an optical one). I really don't want to use OpenMG, or whatever proprietary solution.

3. If I decide to buy just the MD player, which separate recorder will be the best? And does the Sony MZ-N10 have a Line-In, as well as USB?

Thanks for the help!

EDIT: One more thing: Are there any other MD players/recorders besides the ones sony make? Sharp, for example?

and the MD has to be made within 2-years.

Mar 1, 2003 at 10:24 PM Post #2 of 8
For questions 2, 3, and 2, 3 -

Sharp MD-DR7. Rivals my MDS-PC1s headphone out.. although a bit weaker in comparison. An optical headphone jack sounds bizarre.. But if it is indeed optical, you can record to the DR7 via that, although it will not come with the cable. The singapore model does IIRC, maybe you could get that.

The best recorder.. it's hard to tell. While the DR7 probably sounds the best, it isn't netMD (although i'm not sure you want this?
confused.gif
).... I imagine either the MZ-N10 from Sony or the MD-DR7 from Sharp would be the best.

Mar 1, 2003 at 10:46 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by myself, aka me
If you're going to go MD, go DR7
biggrin.gif

I would agree with this........particularly if you are concerned about sound quality. Paired with some D66 Eggos, to my ears, this is the portable setup to beat. Stunning sound.
biggrin.gif

Mar 1, 2003 at 11:09 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by pieman3141
1. The Ipod uses a 6-pin firewire port. I have a 4-pin port. Can I use a 4-6 pin adapter?

There are ways to make the iPod work with a non-powered firewire port, take a look at http://www.ipoding.com/ or http://www.ipodlounge.com/ for details on how to do this.

Mar 2, 2003 at 10:43 PM Post #8 of 8
If you're concerned about the amount of time it takes to transfer music to the portable or discs then I'd recommend the iPod.

I suggest you give NetMD a chance if you go MD. I really like being able to transfer music faster than real time. I'm usually using my portable when I'm exercising or commuting so the environment around me is pretty noisy, as a result LP2 often sounds just as good as SP. Now if I'm at home and all is quiet around me then it's a different story but even then I find LP2 to be quite good.

I don't like PCDP's as I find they're too bulky. IPOD or MD that's the way to go!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back