MD-33 or EX-81
Apr 4, 2005 at 9:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

Tohex

100+ Head-Fier
Howdy,

I posted a thread before between the Ex-81 and shure e2c...basically i've decided not to go with e2c, because the majority said that without EQing decently (i have an ipod btw)...they aren't the best out there. Then again maybe that is wrong..but at this stage i wont be trying the headphones unfortunatly before i buy.

So its now between these. I want SOME isolation, no idea what the isolation is like here, but i think better on the ex's? I will be using on bus/train/plane and yeh, comfy is good, SQ is also important
icon10.gif

Thanks for ur tips,

Alucrep

Apr 4, 2005 at 12:55 PM Post #3 of 34
I was in the same situation as you...

It seemed that the MD33 and the EX81 are pretty similar in terms of qualities.

I chose the MD33 over the EX81 based on its' low profile design, ordered it last night. The jury is still out on what color I should get for the Micro ;/

-EB

Apr 4, 2005 at 2:00 PM Post #5 of 34
i can't speak to the md-33 or ex81... but the e2c beat the snot out of the ex71.

Apr 4, 2005 at 4:16 PM Post #6 of 34
Absolutely! The E2s are much better then the Sharps too IMO.
And though tastes and players differ, for my ears the E2s don't need EQ-ing (while I find my current favorites, the E3, abolutely need some EQ to make them give their best).

Apr 4, 2005 at 6:01 PM Post #7 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by dura
Absolutely! The E2s are much better then the Sharps too IMO.
And though tastes and players differ, for my ears the E2s don't need EQ-ing (while I find my current favorites, the E3, abolutely need some EQ to make them give their best).

what source do you use with your e2 because with my ipod, the e2 sound extremely cramp and low. i use the treble booster for my e2 because the highs are just "not present" on their own.

Apr 5, 2005 at 12:46 AM Post #8 of 34
Thanks for all your help, looks like the e2c may be back in the game, but that last point, what source do you use dura? so at this point its out of md-33 and e2c for me....ipod source, same as spacko.

Apr 5, 2005 at 1:00 AM Post #9 of 34
Out of an iPod, I prefer the Sharps over the E2c for 3 reasons (to my ears, of course):
1. Bass is about equal (Sharps are a bit punchier) and the Sharps have more extended top end.
2. Ease of insertion......no contest....the Sharps win handily.
3. Comfort......again, no contest. The Sharps are so light and soft, you actually forget they are there.
The only drawback to the Sharps is the microphonics, but i solved that by attaching an Etymotic shirt clip to where the 3 pole extension cable attaches......no m ore microphonics.
To be fair to the Shures, I had just about given up on them due to the comfort issue, but today I ordered some ultra soft flex tips from Shure. Hopefully that will improve their comfort..........but they're still a hassle to insert.
biggrin.gif

Apr 5, 2005 at 1:20 AM Post #10 of 34
Thanks joe, yeh nice...ok....well be cool if when you get them you could tell me how they feel. Is the difficulty to insert ok in the end because there is more isolation?

Apr 5, 2005 at 1:40 AM Post #11 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by DigDub
the md33, with the foam mod and a shirt clip to reduce microphonics, probably is the most bang for the buck pair of canalphones. great sound quality.
cool.gif

To me the most bang for the buck is the Panasonic RP-HJE50. The sound quality is definitely better than the Sony MDR71 and it is much cheaper as well.

Apr 5, 2005 at 1:50 AM Post #12 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by RonTheMan
To me the most bang for the buck is the Panasonic RP-HJE50. The sound quality is definitely better than the Sony MDR71 and it is much cheaper as well.

I'm anxious to try those as well......I'll most likely be ordering a pair tomorrow.
biggrin.gif

Apr 5, 2005 at 2:26 AM Post #13 of 34
Hey, yeh they look ok too, look kinda similar to the md-33's really...is there any isolation tho on the md33 or hje50? what i have now doesn't really have anything...so i guess anything is a step up.

I would have to order of audiocubes.com (for the md33)...they post to australia tho, so that is ok :p
icon10.gif
basshead.gif

Apr 5, 2005 at 2:38 AM Post #14 of 34
Isolation on the Sharp MD33-S is a helluva lot better than any earbud or clip-on I've tried. It's not up to the level of Etys or the E2c......but it's damned good. I know because my lovely wife doesn't like them.
wink.gif

Apr 5, 2005 at 2:49 AM Post #15 of 34
LOL, too much
icon10.gif
(obviously you DO like them...)

Ok, *Rushes off to buy some md-33*....thats the plan anyway...thanks guys heaps. One final thing, i currently have some Sony MDR-e829v's if anyone has every heard of these...they're getting a tad old...and i just had them lying about, so i've been using them whilst i decide to buy some new phones; you reckon its worth the upgrade for anyone who has tried these.....i think it is, and its time to buy some new phones, but i'lll ask anyway.
etysmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back