MD-33/IE4/EP-630
Jun 2, 2005 at 12:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Alick

100+ Head-Fier
I've been procrastinating about purchasing a set of canal phones for use with my Rio Karma for some time but don't want to spend a reasonably significant amount of money on Shures or Ety's to discover that I don't like the physical sensation of stuffing electronics into bodily orifices. My serious listening is done at home with my HD-650s and SR-80's and I only use the Karma when out and about or in the car, always in less than ideal listening conditions. I'm happy enough with the sound quality of my Sennheiser MX-500s for this purpose, but the damn things don't stay in my ears.

I understand that the Sharp MD33s are reasonably well thought of and, although they don't appear to be available in the UK, the similar Sennheiser IE4s and Creative EP-630s are (for £24 and £38 inc. tax and delivery respectively). I read that all three products are produced by the same manufacturer although there are cosmetic (and possibly mechanical?) differences. I also believe that the Sennheiser version comes with three sizes of rubber earpiece against the Creative’s one and I'm not sure about the Sharps.

I'd be grateful if anyone could share any more information, particularly on the mechanical and (any) sonic differences between the three models and the overall sound quality and comfort levels. Has anyone tried all three? Should I be considering any other solutions?

Jun 2, 2005 at 1:00 PM Post #2 of 21
I also would like to hear some opinions about the ep680

Maybe more people can test these??

I see some differences in specs, so I wonder if the ep630's are just as good as the hp-md33's.

Specs of hp-md33:

Driver diameter: 9mm
Max allowed input: 20mW
Sensitivity: 105dB/mW
Frequency Response: 20~20,000Hz
Weight: 3g
Connector: 3.5mm 4-pole straight plug/gold plated
Cable length: 65cm + 1meter ext./Oxygen Free Copper

Specs of ep630:

Driver Units: 8mm Neodymium magnet transducer
Frequency Response: 6Hz ~ 23kHz
Impedance: 16ohms
Sensivity: 106dB
Cord Length: 1.2m (Oxygen-Free Copper Cable)
Input Plug: 3.5mm stereo gold-plated miniplug
Net Weight: 9g (without packaging)

Jun 2, 2005 at 3:24 PM Post #3 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alick
...I understand that the Sharp MD33s are reasonably well thought of and, although they don't appear to be available in the UK...?

Besides one or two other import sites, Audiocubes seems to be the only reputable dealer around these parts. Dunno how much the register would ring up for a shipment to UK though. The MD33s are very comfortable to wear, and IME slip in and out easy like the Sony EX series. They're basically semi-canalphones imo, because they don't really reach very far into the canal. The included different sized, soft silicon buds should make your ears canals happy.

Jun 2, 2005 at 4:49 PM Post #4 of 21
the ep-630 comes with 3 sizes of sleeves too. imo, the md33 and the ep-630 are the same. they sound the same to me. the difference is in the cable design and color.
biggrin.gif

Jun 2, 2005 at 6:11 PM Post #5 of 21
Thanks for the feedback. I suppose the two remaining questions for me are (a) do they stay put in your ears and (b) is there any reason to buy the Sennheisers for £38 when I can get the Creatives for £24?

Jun 6, 2005 at 7:42 AM Post #6 of 21
Apologies for the bump but I want to order a pair of Creative's or Sennheiser's MD33 variants and I'm keen to know if:

(a) anyone knows if there are any differences between the two which would make the Sennheisers worth 50% more and
(b) if any MD33 (or similar variant) owners can confirm that the phones stay firmly plugged into their ears?

I'll only bump once to minimise irritation.

Jun 9, 2005 at 10:54 AM Post #9 of 21
so I finally got the EP-630 today, and as DigDub said, there is no difference between them and the MD33 aside from cable length and thickness (the EP-630's cable is thinner and looks a bit unstable to me - first impression wise).

my only advice is: get them, if you can!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 9, 2005 at 12:44 PM Post #11 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by d0e
No no.. Sony EX-71 mutcho better. Burn those babies in and i promise u. you get good sound.

well, I have burnt-in EX-51 (which are identical to the EX-71, besides the cord), and they are nowhere near the modded MD33/EP-630.

Jun 10, 2005 at 1:38 AM Post #14 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by d0e
ey man.. try crank the volym up.. they get gooder that way then u boom boom some hardcore.. you know.. bass is the best!

lol. you are a funny guy. but if boomy bass is your thing, then i think the ex71 will suit you. i'm looking for stronger mids and clearer highs.
tongue.gif

Jun 10, 2005 at 1:36 PM Post #15 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by d0e
no no man.. they are good. you listening to them right? you have them in your ear ? strange.. they are like.. choco loco´s

no, I usually stick them straight up my nose, you know
biggrin.gif
rolleyes.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by d0e
ey man.. try crank the volym up.. they get gooder that way then u boom boom some hardcore.. you know.. bass is the best!

blink.gif
basshead.gif

well thank you, d0e, but I like the bass that comes out of my modded MD33/EP630 much more, the volume doesn't really matter that much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back