McIntosh MHP1000 Headphones Announced in CES
May 3, 2015 at 1:04 AM Post #196 of 412
So I wonder if that "(NEGATIVE)" is supposed to work like adding "not" at the end of a statement in order to negate it or if he's saying they suck.

May 3, 2015 at 5:07 AM Post #197 of 412
Hi friends,my english is not the best but i think the most of my followers know's that
Here are my personal subjective impressions of the MHP 1000:

Unfortunately are more negatives than positives to tell.
Material as well as assembly quality are not on the expected level of the aimed price range.
Plastic, plastic and more plastics!
This product goes for USD 2000,-!!!! in europe AUSTRIA/GERMANY for 2290 EUROS!!

To the sound impression:
The bass as well as the high frequencies are tuned too aggressive with higher volume
The only positive are the blue cables and the packing which fit to the price range.
I'm not a fan of Ultrasone but I would prefer without any regret the Edition 5 Unlimited.
Who is searching a closed back HP in the upper class goes better for FOSTEX'S TH900/TH 600 or to AKG's new upcoming N90Q.
I really expected more from this USD 2000,- out of the MCINTOSH brand(in parntnership with Beyerdynamic)with the name MHP 1000. This is because it offer from the far a very good looking impression, but only before taking it in hands.

My last personal words are:
" I AM SHOCKED, THE MOST OVERPRICED & WORST SOUNDING CLOSED BACK HP for 2.000 USD that i ever heard "

REGARDS FROM AUSTRIA NOMAX

May 3, 2015 at 6:48 AM Post #199 of 412
Yes, thanks for the impressions.  Sounds like you're saying it's frequency response is kind of v-shaped, right?  After owning the DT880, I know I don't want something with recessed mids.

May 3, 2015 at 4:21 PM Post #200 of 412
Thanks for your impressions. I would beg to differ on your findings, but I did not listen with your source and amp (which, in looking at the pictures, would not do the headphones justice). It is likely that the headphones are being very truthful with what they are being fed. 

Plug them into the McIntosh headphone amp and use a high-end DAC. Your ears will thank you.

May 3, 2015 at 5:22 PM Post #201 of 412
I had the chance to audition these headphones as well about a week ago and I have to disagree with Nomax's impressions. They are superior to the Fostex TH900 in almost every way - the TH900 excel in the bass department, but I find their mids somewhat recessed and the treble too hot; they're definitely not as resolving as the MHP1000. The TH600 - not even close; the TH600 is quite muddy sounding with sibilant treble. The MHP1000, by contrast, sounded tight in every area of frequency response. They're also the most open-sounding closed headphone I've ever heard. As good as they are though, they may be overpriced at 2000 GBP. At 600 less, I'd take the LCD-X over these.

May 3, 2015 at 5:28 PM Post #202 of 412
thanks for ur impressions

i think these have a different target audience than the ldxs though d/t being closed.

maybe the more interesting comparision wld be whether u'd take em over the xc. wld love to hear ur thoughts on this if u ever get a chance to compare :)

May 3, 2015 at 5:38 PM Post #204 of 412

i think these have a different target audience than the ldxs though d/t being closed.

maybe the more interesting comparision wld be whether u'd take em over the xc. wld love to hear ur thoughts on this if u ever get a chance to compare
smily_headphones1.gif

Yeah, hope to do that soon - I've found this great place here in the UK called Hi-Fi Lounge, who stock a massive range of headphones - they have several dedicated demo rooms which makes extensive side-by-side testing possible. As it's in a converted barn in the middle of nowhere it doesn't get very busy from passing trade either, so it's all too easy to spend half a day there. Of course, it would probably be rude not to buy something from them at some point :wink:

May 3, 2015 at 6:41 PM Post #205 of 412
The impressions indicates this is essentially a redesigned t5p which is also another funky over priced headphone.

Having owned a T5p (not for very long - the fact it's the same price as the T1 is frankly ridiculous!), I feel there is a certain similarity in sound signature between it and the MHP1000, but the latter is on another level. Whether it's another G another level I'm not so sure, but I guess it's always a case of diminishing returns the higher up the ladder you climb.

May 3, 2015 at 6:45 PM Post #206 of 412
Truth be told I haven't tried the mhp1009 however t5p has a very poor construction. The entire headband twist and there is no clumping force. The sound is very sucked out with aggressive treble.

Maybe tube amp can help and I was told the cable is the major bottleneck but I really don't want to spend any money on trying to fix the flaws on a 1k product.

May 9, 2015 at 4:13 PM Post #207 of 412

maybe the more interesting comparision wld be whether u'd take em over the xc. wld love to hear ur thoughts on this if u ever get a chance to compare
smily_headphones1.gif

The answer is yes. Compared the two today and although I spent much longer with the MHP1000 than the XC, I have to say my immediate impression every time when switching back to the XC was that its overall sound was simply not as refined; kind of brasher-sounding, with a slightly harsh treble. I actually take back what I said before about choosing the X over these: the more I listened to the MHP1000 the more captivated I was - acutely balanced, highly detailed and transparent but with significant body as well. Still struggling with that price tag though :-D

May 9, 2015 at 10:42 PM Post #208 of 412
The impressions indicates this is essentially a redesigned t5p which is also another funky over priced headphone.

This is completely false. It is this kind of misinformation that really drags Head-Fi down.

The MHP1000's use Beyer's Tesla technology, but the driver is unique to this headphone. Other than utilizing Beyer's patented technology, it shares nothing in common with their other headphones.

May 9, 2015 at 10:49 PM Post #209 of 412
Thanks for these impressions, scratched off my shortlist at once.

Another sad thing about Head-Fi. People scratching products off their list without hearing it for themselves, and doing so based on a very questionable review. :triportsad:

May 9, 2015 at 11:31 PM Post #210 of 412
This is completely false. It is this kind of misinformation that really drags Head-Fi down.

The MHP1000's use Beyer's Tesla technology, but the driver is unique to this headphone. Other than utilizing Beyer's patented technology, it shares nothing in common with their other headphones.

Another sad thing about Head-Fi. People scratching products off their list without hearing it for themselves, and doing so based on a very questionable review.
triportsad.gif

I totally agree with you. Even that the MHP1000 use the Tesla technology and may resemble some the Beyer headphones it does not sound like a Beyer at all. I used to own the T1 and the T50 and the MHP1000 are far superior to them.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back