McIntosh MHA200 Impressions
Oct 6, 2021 at 9:02 PM Post #453 of 1,203
Just got mine, using Utopia to start, sounds much fuller with the 100-200ohm selected. Wow, utopias have never ever sounded better.. If it’s this good out of the box I think it’s a keeper.
Also using it with a Roon nucleus and using the Roon app to adjust volume, I keep it a hair past 12 on mcintosh
What is the effect (or consequence) of setting the MHA200 impedance to something that is higher than the headphone's impedance?

Oct 7, 2021 at 1:04 AM Post #455 of 1,203
I just purchased the MHA200 which replaced my Ray Samuels Emmeline II “The Raptor” Headphone Amp. While the MHA200 is an improvement over The Raptor, I was surprised at how well The Raptor kept up with the MHA200 in all areas. The Raptor is a really nice headphone amp too. My source is the Chord 2Go/Hugo 2 combo. I keep the Hugo 2 at a fixed line level for the MHA200. So far, I’ve listened to my Audeze LCD-X (2021 Driver Update) with the Roon Audeze LCD-X DSP preset and it sounds good. My main IEM’s - Senn ie800 and JH Audio Roxanne’s - sound quite good with no background noise. The MHA200 takes my custom fit Roxanne’s to a whole other level. I will listen to my Senn HD 800 S and my Focal Clears soon. I also have a Mr. Speakers Ether that I’ll listen to soon. So far, I’m glad that I bought it. BTW, my dealer said that McIntosh fixed the wiggly volume control issue and mine feels fine.

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2021 at 4:11 AM Post #456 of 1,203
What is the effect (or consequence) of setting the MHA200 impedance to something that is higher than the headphone's impedance?
The damping factor will be lower, which means less control over the driver.
Often coupled with a slight mid bass bump and roll off in subbass and treble.

Oct 7, 2021 at 9:58 AM Post #457 of 1,203
Thanks for the explanation.

Oct 7, 2021 at 11:31 AM Post #458 of 1,203
What happens to the bass and treble when the damping factor is higher (setting the MHA200 impedance to something that is lower than the headphones impedance,) I’m wondering? Thanks in advance for the help.

Oct 7, 2021 at 12:34 PM Post #459 of 1,203
Sounds like my favoirite signature. Perhaps without the subbass roll off.

Oct 7, 2021 at 2:57 PM Post #461 of 1,203
Firstly, I am a retired electrical engineer who has spent most of his life dealing with resistors, capacitors and inductors. At issue are the effects of changing the 32, 100, 250 or 600 Load Ohm resistance and the position of the volume adjustable resistance. So the tube is driving this combination of output resistance and headphone fixed impedance. The headphone fixed impedance is going to respond to the voltages it sees as the result of these choices. With my 80 Ohm headphones the 100 Ohm choice allows the volume control to be the least glitchy, if that term is allowed. Most comfortable.

You may have noticed in the specifications that the power output is consistent at 500mW for each of the Load Ohms selections. So what that means is that if you match the Load Ohms to the headphone Ohms you will have 500 mW in the headphone at some presumed position of the Volume. So if that’s the case the best you can do is to closely match the headphone Ohms and the Load Ohms.

While listening I have switched all of the 32-600 Load positions and that will have a moderate result in the volume I hear. No big deal as far as volume is concerned and while others may notice more effect you have to take the varying headphone into account as well. So, yeah, McIntosh could have used a different design that would have resulted in a less sensitive (glitchy) volume control. But at the end of the day we just end up with a volume control with far less angle play than to what we are accustomed.

And in a less technical respect, the Utopia/MHA200 combo is to die for.

Oct 7, 2021 at 3:07 PM Post #462 of 1,203
And in a less technical respect, the Utopia/MHA200 combo is to die for.
I’m finding that the MHA200 is a nice match for my Focal cans - the Clear and the Elear. Nice dynamic sound. In addition and as an aside, the Senn HD 800 S cans sound great with the MHA200 as well. So do the Mr. Speakers Ether cans.

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2021 at 12:11 PM Post #463 of 1,203

In the case of McIntosh MHA200 because it’s using autoformers nothing happens of any consequence. However on amplifiers without autoformers it could cause sloppy bass or music that seems lose

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Oct 8, 2021 at 12:24 PM Post #464 of 1,203
In the case of McIntosh MHA200 because it’s using autoformers nothing happens of any consequence. However on amplifiers without autoformers it could cause sloppy bass or music that seems lose
Thanks for the response.

Anyone using their MHA200 with either verite open or closed?

Oct 8, 2021 at 1:58 PM Post #465 of 1,203
I’m finding that the MHA200 is a nice match for my Focal cans - the Clear and the Elear. Nice dynamic sound. In addition and as an aside, the Senn HD 800 S cans sound great with the MHA200 as well. So do the Mr. Speakers Ether cans.
Ether 2's impedance is 24, and Ether C Flow is approx 19. Both values are lower than the impedance ranges on the MHA200. You're saying they still sound great? That is reassuring.

I have DCA stealth (impedance is 23 ohms) coming in and am hoping this pairing is heaven and brings something that the TT2/M-scaler or Formula S/Powerman can't provide.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back