McIntosh MHA200 Impressions
Oct 17, 2021 at 2:28 AM Post #511 of 1,178
Question for you Marco: do the mid-forward LCD-5 and the mid-focused MHA200 present excessive mids? Can there be too much of a good thing?
Hello @qboogie I haven't found the MHA200 paired with the LCD5 to have excessive mids. Obviously this is dependant on your DAC, the source material/recording and what you personally consider excessive mids. Are you near a dealer so you can go down and give a listen to them?

Last edited:
The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Oct 17, 2021 at 12:31 PM Post #512 of 1,178
Jason, I'm sorry you spend so much effort being the sole defender of this design choice. A McIntosh rep should really step in and take on that responsibility.

I’m not defending it or shilling it. I’m just correcting the understanding people have. What people do with what I tell them is their business

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Oct 17, 2021 at 11:34 PM Post #513 of 1,178
I received my MHA200 a couple of days ago. I swapped out the stock tubes and am rolling Sylvania gold pin, black plate 12AT7 tubes. Most of my listening has gone to the 1266 TC + Formula S, so instead I decided to break out my Verite Open and try them out of the MHA fresh out the box, with TT2/HMS as the DAC. My my my, what a beautiful pairing. The slightly recessed mids on the VO (their only sonic flaw, IMO) have been nicely filled in. EQ is no longer needed thankfully.

I've only put 3 hours or so into listening, but here are my first impressions.

So, besides the McIntosh sumptuous mids, what else exactly am I detecting that makes this amp special? Three words I would use to describe its sound characteristics would be: crystalline, engaging, and contrast.

It's a pretty transparent amp. I can totally understand why some would describe it as "solid-state in presentation with some tubey goodness." When A/Bing between this and the TT2 SE output, nothing obvious is lost or blunted. Realistically though, resolution probably takes a small hit compared to the TT2 direct given I am adding an element to the chain. Chord touts clarity/transparency as one of its chief pillars and the MHA200 certainly abides -- however, a subtle crystalline quality is imparted to the music that I find pleasurable. I'm guessing this represents the extra harmonics and tasteful distortion added by the tubes.

I do hear background details like synths and minor percussion brought up to the fore a little more. What is more interesting is how the MHA200 adds texture that I find really engaging. There is more static and crunch in electric guitarwork, more coarseness in metallic percussion like hi-hats, more fuzz in synths. With bass guitar, it's easier to appreciate the subtle oscillation of the plucked string. I'm getting nearly as much enjoyment listening to these more hidden aspects of music as I am the more surface-level aspects like the actual composition and tone/timbre, and it's taking me MUCH less effort to focus on them than before. That's what I mean by "engaging."

The best way I can summarize the combined effect is that it is very similar to increasing the image contrast when editing a photograph, making the edges between light / shadow more juxtaposed and making the image "pop" a little more. Resolution only appears to be increasing but we know that it's not. The soundstage dimensions and instrument separation are approximately equal from what I can tell, though I haven't given this aspect that much special focus.

A phenomenon that I keep encountering when listening to this amp, which echoes the sentiments of others who've posted impressions.

1. I listen to a familiar song and immediately spot a new, minor detail that I had somehow overlooked.
2. I listen to the same detail via the TT2 direct and realize that it was hiding in plain sight among the other sounds, waiting to be discovered.
3. I become driven / addicted to experiencing this phenomenon over and over with all my other favorite tracks.

This amp reminds me that the Verite Open has crazy detail and spatial capabilities, and isn't just the headphone equivalent of a rich beef stew served in a warm crusty bread bowl. Also, I listened with the AB-1266 TC and even though all the above is still true in the regions above say, 1Khz, anything below is just....No. This is not the amp for the TC. Not even close.

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2021 at 2:06 AM Post #514 of 1,178
I received my MHA200 a couple of days ago. I swapped out the stock tubes and am rolling Sylvania gold pin, black plate 12AT7 tubes. Most of my listening has gone to the 1266 TC + Formula S, so instead I decided to break out my Verite Open and try them out of the MHA fresh out the box, with TT2/HMS as the DAC. My my my, what a beautiful pairing. The slightly recessed mids on the VO (their only sonic flaw, IMO) have been nicely filled in. EQ is no longer needed thankfully.

So, besides the McIntosh sumptuous mids, what else exactly am I detecting that makes this amp special? Three words I would use to describe its sound characteristics would be: crystalline, engaging, and contrast.

It's a pretty transparent amp. I can totally understand why some would describe it as "solid-state in presentation with some tubey goodness." When A/Bing between this and the TT2 SE output, nothing obvious is lost or blunted. Realistically though, resolution probably takes a small hit compared to the TT2 direct given I am adding an element to the chain. Chord touts clarity/transparency as one of its chief pillars and the MHA200 certainly abides -- however, a subtle crystalline quality is imparted to the music that I find pleasurable. I'm guessing this represents the extra harmonics and tasteful distortion added by the tubes.

I do hear background details like synths and minor percussion brought up to the fore a little more. What is more interesting is how the MHA200 adds texture that I find really engaging. There is more static and crunch in electric guitarwork, more coarseness in metallic percussion like hi-hats, more fuzz in synths. With bass guitar, it's easier to appreciate the subtle oscillation of the plucked string. I'm getting nearly as much enjoyment listening to these more hidden aspects of music as I am the more surface-level aspects like the actual composition and tone/timbre, and it's taking me MUCH less effort to focus on them than before. That's what I mean by "engaging."

The best way I can summarize the combined effect is that it is very similar to increasing the image contrast when editing a photograph, making the edges between light / shadow more juxtaposed and making the image "pop" a little more. Resolution only appears to be increasing but we know that it's not. The soundstage dimensions and instrument separation are approximately equal from what I can tell, though I haven't given this aspect that much special focus.

A phenomenon that I keep encountering when listening to this amp, which echoes the sentiments of others who've posted impressions.

1. I listen to a familiar song and immediately spot a new, minor detail that I had somehow overlooked.
2. I listen to the same detail via the TT2 direct and realize that it was hiding in plain sight among the other sounds, waiting to be discovered.
3. I become driven / addicted to experiencing this phenomenon over and over with all my other favorite tracks.

This amp reminds me that the Verite Open has crazy detail and spatial capabilities, and isn't just the headphone equivalent of a rich beef stew served in a warm crusty bread bowl. Also, I listened with the AB-1266 TC and even though all the above is still true in the regions above say, 1Khz, anything below is just....No. This is not the amp for the TC. Not even close.
Thanks for sharing your experience. I was wondering, how was your experience with IEM’s? Did you experience any background noise? I hear the slightest background noise with my JH Audio Roxanne’s and Senn IE 800’s. Not too much noise - very low level - just a little. IEM’s sound great otherwise.

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2021 at 4:21 PM Post #515 of 1,178

I would be interested in your impressions between stock tubes and the sylvania ones. My impressions with the Diana Phi on this amp is very positive and similar to yours except I would never be able to describe it so adeptly...except, that it is addicting and sounds more vivid

Oct 18, 2021 at 4:51 PM Post #516 of 1,178
I would be interested in your impressions between stock tubes and the sylvania ones. My impressions with the Diana Phi on this amp is very positive and similar to yours except I would never be able to describe it so adeptly...except, that it is addicting and sounds more vivid
I'll try the stock tubes tonight and report back. It's a great amp. I can't wait to see what they come up with next.

Will also share my playlist later for anyone who is interested.

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2021 at 4:57 PM Post #517 of 1,178
Thanks for sharing your experience. I was wondering, how was your experience with IEM’s? Did you experience any background noise? I hear the slightest background noise with my JH Audio Roxanne’s and Senn IE 800’s. Not too much noise - very low level - just a little. IEM’s sound great otherwise.
I do hear some noise with Campfire Solaris (known to be ultrasensitive) but barely any with Blessing 2 Dusk. I haven't tried repositioning the amp away from my wifi router though. Have you tried putting the tube cage back on to see if blocks RF noise?

Oct 18, 2021 at 6:46 PM Post #518 of 1,178
I do hear some noise with Campfire Solaris (known to be ultrasensitive) but barely any with Blessing 2 Dusk. I haven't tried repositioning the amp away from my wifi router though. Have you tried putting the tube cage back on to see if blocks RF noise?
I’ll put the tube cage back on and see if there is a difference. The amp seems to be well-isolated but I’ll confirm thanks.

Oct 20, 2021 at 12:36 PM Post #519 of 1,178
The MHA200 has taught me for the ump-teenth time you don't know what you don't know and ought to challenge what you think you know...
Improving other components, even if you think they are adequate, may have pays offs.
This amp has plenty of room to improve if you remove constraints.
The latest in my case is with pre amping. Thought I reached my pinnacle with a Naim Atom HE used in pre amp mode supporting the MHA200. End game stuff for me but then, given other MHA200 successes, maybe not.
Enter a McIntosh C8 pre amp with DA2 DAC module...
A beast of a unit that is built like a tank and seems to have one sole design focus. Make McIntosh amps sound good, and with the MHA200 it does. OMG good...
Base reaches down into your spine, grabs your soul, and drags you along for a great musical ride.
The unity detent on the MHA200 is my new sweet spot. I may never touch that volume again.
Haven't found a way to trip this combination up. It even makes streaming Apple Music through a phone sound as if it came off a local server. The Mac DAC is a cut above my Naim as some issues have been resolved. It may even best my Qutest but I need more time to compare.

IMG_2243.jpeg

IMG_2183.jpeg

Oct 20, 2021 at 12:48 PM Post #520 of 1,178
The MHA200 has taught me for the ump-teenth time you don't know what you don't know and ought to challenge what you think you know...
Improving other components, even if you think they are adequate, may have pays offs.
This amp has plenty of room to improve if you remove constraints.
The latest in my case is with pre amping. Thought I reached my pinnacle with a Naim Atom HE used in pre amp mode supporting the MHA200. End game stuff for me but then, given other MHA200 successes, maybe not.
Enter a McIntosh C8 pre amp with DA2 DAC module...
A beast of a unit that is built like a tank and seems to have one sole design focus. Make McIntosh amps sound good, and with the MHA200 it does. OMG good...
Base reaches down into your spine, grabs your soul, and drags you along for a great musical ride.
The unity detent on the MHA200 is my new sweet spot. I may never touch that volume again.
Haven't found a way to trip this combination up. It even makes streaming Apple Music through a phone sound as if it came off a local server. The Mac DAC is a cut above my Naim as some issues have been resolved. It may even best my Qutest but I need more time to compare.

IMG_2243.jpeg
IMG_2183.jpeg
How does the MHA200 compare to the headphone out of the C8?

Oct 20, 2021 at 1:28 PM Post #521 of 1,178
How does the MHA200 compare to the headphone out of the C8?
Only took time to give it a few minutes with HD800. Making sure all the features and permutations function correctly, and there are lots of them. Initial impression is better than I remember from trying MHA100 and 150 in past. Those two didn't hook me at all. Not up to MHA200 but first pass was better than I expected (dangerously so). With other tracks and cans who knows? Some one not into headphone amps would probably love it in their system. That said, I will be trying it for more lengthly sessions when it has had more running time.

Oct 20, 2021 at 3:11 PM Post #523 of 1,178
Hello @qboogie I haven't found the MHA200 paired with the LCD5 to have excessive mids. Obviously this is dependant on your DAC, the source material/recording and what you personally consider excessive mids. Are you near a dealer so you can go down and give a listen to them?
@MRphotography What tubes are you rolling with this beauty? I can't imagine you're sticking with the stock tubes

Users who are viewing this thread

Back