McIntosh MHA150, Harbeth P3ESR-XD, and Focal Stellia
Jun 19, 2021 at 5:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

m1911

New Head-Fier
Greetings,
I bought the majority of my (2-channel) audio gear throughout the 1970's, and these days, less-is-WAY-more for me.
Marantz, Altec, Teac, JBL, etc....and currently own some of that stuff too.

I've been obsessed with music since the late 60's and have/had large libraries of different formats.
I seem to spend the most time accessing music from my gadgets; versus hard-copy vinyl, CD, Tape, etc.
That music was usually ripped over past 15 years from new CD's to Apple i-Tunes library at slowest speed.

I get up early and spend a couple of hours each morning on my Mac-Book listening to music; but also lots of Youtube stuff.
I use headphones as not to wake my wife, but also wanted to have speakers when no one is around.
About 2 years ago I began researching higher-end gear to meet my specific purposes.

I settled on the McIntosh MHA150 Headphone Amp which has built-in DAC, as well as 50wpc to power speakers.

A few months ago I added the Harbeth P3ESR-XD speakers and am extremely pleased and have no plans to place them on pins-n-needle stands measuring exact distances within the room.

I recently received a pair of new Focal Stellia headphones and love them too.

I watch guys like Z-Reviews and enjoy the content, but the last thing I want to learn about (or own) is enough equipment to power the space shuttle because I hate having lots of components, cables, etc.

This is simply about my music run through nice gear.
I know you're thinking Lossless, Roon, Tidal, etc.....(not for me)
I have no other audio wishes nor plans, except maybe copy this set-up for another area of the house.

YIHR66Ml.jpg

Aug 31, 2021 at 11:37 AM Post #2 of 12
Greetings,
I bought the majority of my (2-channel) audio gear throughout the 1970's, and these days, less-is-WAY-more for me.
Marantz, Altec, Teac, JBL, etc....and currently own some of that stuff too.

I've been obsessed with music since the late 60's and have/had large libraries of different formats.
I seem to spend the most time accessing music from my gadgets; versus hard-copy vinyl, CD, Tape, etc.
That music was usually ripped over past 15 years from new CD's to Apple i-Tunes library at slowest speed.

I get up early and spend a couple of hours each morning on my Mac-Book listening to music; but also lots of Youtube stuff.
I use headphones as not to wake my wife, but also wanted to have speakers when no one is around.
About 2 years ago I began researching higher-end gear to meet my specific purposes.

I settled on the McIntosh MHA150 Headphone Amp which has built-in DAC, as well as 50wpc to power speakers.

A few months ago I added the Harbeth P3ESR-XD speakers and am extremely pleased and have no plans to place them on pins-n-needle stands measuring exact distances within the room.

I recently received a pair of new Focal Stellia headphones and love them too.

I watch guys like Z-Reviews and enjoy the content, but the last thing I want to learn about (or own) is enough equipment to power the space shuttle because I hate having lots of components, cables, etc.

This is simply about my music run through nice gear.
I know you're thinking Lossless, Roon, Tidal, etc.....(not for me)
I have no other audio wishes nor plans, except maybe copy this set-up for another area of the house.

YIHR66Ml.jpg
Hi m1911,
I simply love the blue meters of the 150.

I read thats its 50w per channel. I'm wondering if they drove your speakers well.

Most of my listening now is on headphones too like the Audeze LCD2 and Meze Empryean.

Cheers and happy listening!

Aug 31, 2021 at 12:14 PM Post #3 of 12
Hi m1911,
I simply love the blue meters of the 150.

I read thats its 50w per channel. I'm wondering if they drove your speakers well.

Most of my listening now is on headphones too like the Audeze LCD2 and Meze Empryean.

Cheers and happy listening!

The McIntosh MHA150 drives my Harbeths plenty well for my purposes which includes near field and also open listening in a room that’s about 13’ x 13’.
If I were to buy the Harbeth M30.2-XD’s, then I would run a McIntosh MA5300 integrated…..I’m considering both for another area of the house but certainly don’t need them.
PS: I love my Stellas!

Aug 31, 2021 at 10:14 PM Post #4 of 12
The McIntosh MHA150 drives my Harbeths plenty well for my purposes which includes near field and also open listening in a room that’s about 13’ x 13’.
If I were to buy the Harbeth M30.2-XD’s, then I would run a McIntosh MA5300 integrated…..I’m considering both for another area of the house but certainly don’t need them.
PS: I love my Stellas!
Thanks for the reply.
I'll go check on a new 150 this week as none are available in the used market. This would definitely be nicer to have than the new naim atom headphone amp as i can connect the 150 to a streamer.

By the way, have you compared the Stella to the Empryean?

Cheers m1911.

Sep 1, 2021 at 1:50 PM Post #5 of 12
Thanks for the reply.
I'll go check on a new 150 this week as none are available in the used market. This would definitely be nicer to have than the new naim atom headphone amp as i can connect the 150 to a streamer.

By the way, have you compared the Stella to the Empryean?

Cheers m1911.
Never compared the two….
I simply wanted (about) the best closed-back headphones available, and after the specs and reviews pulled the trigger on the Stellias.
There is no doubt I’ll use the heck out of this little system and never change a thing.
i’ve considered duplicating it in another area of the house.
I‘m not really an audiophile. I like to listen endlessly to music on great gear.

Sep 2, 2021 at 12:26 AM Post #6 of 12
Enjoy the music!
Btw, 90% of audiophiles do not consider themselves audiophiles but loves listening to music (on great gear) so maybe that's a true audiophile!
Have a good one and thanks for the reply!

Sep 2, 2021 at 5:51 AM Post #7 of 12
Enjoy the music!
Btw, 90% of audiophiles do not consider themselves audiophiles but loves listening to music (on great gear) so maybe that's a true audiophile!
Have a good one and thanks for the reply!
I agree, and I've heard there is a river in Egypt called "Denial"....haha....
I dislike many analogies and nuanced terms used when describing stereo gear.
I simply like something clear sounding without being ice-picky; smooth and warm without being too rolled-off.
The combination I've assembled delivers this.
As I've mentioned, I like it so well, the only thing it motivates me to do is buy the larger (similar) set-up as well.

I always love (actually hate) the stereo demos online because they play some whispy, airy, acoustic bass notes, or some percussion, or lone jazz singer.
Once I got the Harbeths, I put on Exile on Main Street, which is the swampiest recording in history.
You can hear the guitar pick on the wound strings and breath on vocals.....all sounding clear yet not annoying in any way.
Thanks!

Sep 2, 2021 at 6:21 AM Post #8 of 12
Nice to hear from someone not suffering from the terminal disease of “upgradites” … all to easy to rush straight past where you are now on the road to “Nirvana” and never finding that special place … enjoy !

Sep 2, 2021 at 9:53 AM Post #9 of 12
Man this sounds like my dream setup.

I got the Focal Elegia because I couldn't possibly afford the Stellia.

I got the wharfedale Evo 4.2. Because I wanted British loudspeakers and the harbeth are out of my price range.

Similar for the McIntosh amp. Beautiful machine.

Sep 2, 2021 at 7:08 PM Post #10 of 12
This sounds like the perfect amp for headphones and if needed, it can be used as a pre-amp for more hungry speakers.

I read somewhere that even if I have a DAC connected to the MHA150, the sound is always processed by the internal (ESS i think) DAC so it defects the purpose to have a higher quality DAC like a chord HugoTT2 or Qutest as it will ultimately be processed by the MHA150.

Pity if that is true as I have spend quite a bit on the Chord mScaler and the Hugo to have it be reprocessed again.

Sep 2, 2021 at 7:16 PM Post #11 of 12
This sounds like the perfect amp for headphones and if needed, it can be used as a pre-amp for more hungry speakers.

I read somewhere that even if I have a DAC connected to the MHA150, the sound is always processed by the internal (ESS i think) DAC so it defects the purpose to have a higher quality DAC like a chord HugoTT2 or Qutest as it will ultimately be processed by the MHA150.

Pity if that is true as I have spend quite a bit on the Chord mScaler and the Hugo to have it be reprocessed again.

I think that's only the case if you use digital inputs. These will be processed by the internal DAC.

Sep 2, 2021 at 7:16 PM Post #12 of 12

I've heard the exact same thing regarding the McIntosh's DAC is the final and overriding processor there.
I considered lots of cool rigs like the Luxman, Chord, Focal, Sennheiser, etc.....but the McIntosh can run speakers, has built-in DAC, and decent headphone setup all in one box.
Ability to drive external speakers made the decision for me......and did I mention I'm loving these Harbeths...:sunglasses:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back