Mcintosh MA252 vs ican ifi pro + power Amp
Mar 21, 2018 at 9:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

wilpower

100+ Head-Fier
Hello,

I am looking for some help regarding my computer setup. I mostly listen to TIDAL / iTunes / Spotify and play games.

I have a new schiit yggy connected via usb then I use the balanced out to these choices:

1. My new Mcintosh MA252 amplifier - headphone out sucks

2. ican ifi Pro + power amp (many options)

My main question revolves around the fact that my local shop told me the preamp portion of the mcintosh MA 252 is better than the ican ifi pro as a preamp. I had thought that the ican ifi pro could hold its own against the ma252's preamp portion. What do you guys think?

The reason I am wondering is because I always wanted the mcintosh gagues, and the 252 is integrated and does not have them so I may change my MA252 to a MC152. The shop is saying that I would get worse sound from the ifi + MC152 than the ma252 alone. This is of course relating to speaker output, not headphone.

My speakers are PMC 25.21, headphones are lcd4, lcd2, sony z1r.

Other power amps owned is benchmark AHB2 , and other headphone amp owned is linear audio v2 w/ power supply.

Thanks for your help!

Aug 5, 2018 at 2:40 AM Post #2 of 3
I have a new schiit yggy connected via usb then I use the balanced out to these choices:

1. My new Mcintosh MA252 amplifier - headphone out sucks

2. ican ifi Pro + power amp (many options)

My main question revolves around the fact that my local shop told me the preamp portion of the mcintosh MA 252 is better than the ican ifi pro as a preamp. I had thought that the ican ifi pro could hold its own against the ma252's preamp portion. What do you guys think?

The reason I am wondering is because I always wanted the mcintosh gagues, and the 252 is integrated and does not have them so I may change my MA252 to a MC152. The shop is saying that I would get worse sound from the ifi + MC152 than the ma252 alone. This is of course relating to speaker output, not headphone.

My speakers are PMC 25.21, headphones are lcd4, lcd2, sony z1r.

I agree with the shop. Demo'ed the MA252 today and it was really a nice amp at a decent price. This coming from someone who prefers 100% tube. Did not try the headphone out, so not sure what sucked about it. Being that the MA252 is all McIntosh, it makes sense that it would be better than going with separates.

Changing the amps just for the gauges is...well...hmmm...I think sound would be more important than esthetics.

Aug 8, 2018 at 8:09 AM Post #3 of 3
The HP jack on the MA252 seems a bit like an afterthought. I think i read somewhere that it had very limited intergration with the amp, not really sure how factual that was though. I don't think it sucks for what it is, but definately not my go to option and not in line with the speaker stage. It's somewhat of an inverse of the MHA-line.

I run 1 box for speakers an 1 for headphones, think you may have other plans, but that may be an alternative to the pre+amp. YMMV etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back