McIntosh MA-6500 Headphone out jack
Sep 19, 2008 at 9:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

agreenspan

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone. I need some advice. I have a McIntosh MA-6500 integrated amplifier with a headphone out jack. I have 2 pairs of headphones; Grado RS-1 and Sennheiser HD650 (opposite ends of the impedance scale).
I have been using the McIntosh to drive the headphones and have been enjoying them just fine.....THEN.....
After doing alot of reading on Head-fi, I figured I should try a dedicated headphone amp, so I got a Musical Fidelity X-can v3. It sounds very nice, but honestly - I think it sounds just like the headphone out on the McIntosh.
I can usually hear the differences between components - would I have to spend a ton more on a headphone amp to hear a real improvement?
Seems like the headphone jack on the mac is pretty good.....?

Sep 22, 2008 at 1:30 AM Post #2 of 15
Well, did some reading, talking, and learning - and soon - some "listening", and I'm getting a demo PPX extreme from Singlepower.
Anyway, I'd still love to hear from anyone who has the MA6500 integrated.

Sep 22, 2008 at 2:31 AM Post #3 of 15
I don't have a McIntosh MA6500, but I do have a McIntosh MA5100. My integrated amp has 2 headphone jacks. I use my MA5100 to drive my headphones--usually Grado 325i, sometimes AKG 301, AKG 271s, and soon Yuin PK1's. I also have a Sennheiser HD-595 which I may use with the McIntosh.

The MA5100 is a great headphone amp. If I were to upgrade, I'd have to spend quite a bit. I might try Decware's tube preamp/headphone amp. I'm ot sure of the model number. I use the solid state Zen Head for portable applications and really like it. But the McIntosh is really excellent as I'm sure that your's is.

McIntosh makes great stuff (even the old stuff). You may have to spend quite a bit to better it. And then you have to ask yourself, is it worth it? I'd just go out and buy a new pair of headphones. Maybe a nice pair of AKG 701 or 601 or 271s/272. Just for something different.

Enjoy your McIntosh.

Cheers!

Sep 22, 2008 at 11:45 AM Post #4 of 15
May I suggest to try out an adaptator box (SRD7 family or even better Illusion) out of the MA6500 to power some electrostats like Stax O2 (might want to start with some Lambda's) !!

The pros is that you will keep the same familiar sound of your MA6500 and be able to integrate your speaker set up and headphone set up with no need for an aftermarket amp.

Regards,

Sep 23, 2008 at 3:54 AM Post #8 of 15
Well yes, God = McIntosh. The Devil = Bose.

I realsed early on that my only way to salvation was to embrace McIntosh and smite the Bose from my presence.

Hi ho!

Sep 29, 2008 at 12:11 PM Post #9 of 15
I just purchased a demo Singlepower PPX3 Extreme headphone amp. Now I can say that it far surpasses the headphone out jack on my MA6500. (of course it aint cheap either) The x-can held its own quite well considering the price, and the fact that the x-can is stereophile "class A rated" and sounds just like the mac says good things for both; however, this singlepower amp is on a whole new level for me.

Sep 29, 2008 at 8:22 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by DefectiveAudioComponent /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Doesn't the x-can cost about one tenth of that amplifier?

you sir are correct, and it doesn't matter if you're talking about the McIntosh or the Singlepower

Quote:

Or am I thinking about the wrong amp?

nope, see above
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back