MCINTOSH LABS INTRODUCES NEW HEADPHONE AMP MODEL MHA 100
Aug 13, 2016 at 5:01 PM Post #1,201 of 1,316
Having sold my previous MHA100 due to needing funds to start up a business last year, I have bought my second one. I have been lucky enough to own Stax 009/007t, Grado PS1000, a Weiss DAC202, Naim V1, when I got my previous MHA, I knew it was the sound I was after, musical, natural, great soundstage and beautiful bass. I was concerned that memories sometimes are deceptive and lead to disappointment, but having got MHA number 2, it sounds as good as I remember. Just lovely, even via USB to an iPhone at present, until the new MacBook Pro is released. Along with my HD800s, the pairing is just fantastic.

Aug 13, 2016 at 6:57 PM Post #1,202 of 1,316
Having sold my previous MHA100 due to needing funds to start up a business last year, I have bought my second one. I have been lucky enough to own Stax 009/007t, Grado PS1000, a Weiss DAC202, Naim V1, when I got my previous MHA, I knew it was the sound I was after, musical, natural, great soundstage and beautiful bass. I was concerned that memories sometimes are deceptive and lead to disappointment, but having got MHA number 2, it sounds as good as I remember. Just lovely, even via USB to an iPhone at present, until the new MacBook Pro is released. Along with my HD800s, the pairing is just fantastic.

Oh absolutely. The HD800 pair so well. The MHA100 is absolutely world class as far as I'm concerned. It's an extremely lush and bass oriented masterpiece! I've never heard a solid state amp sound like a top shelf tube driven device until this. I've been playing with other dacs including the Cayin and Vi Dac and it plays very well with other dacs.

Aug 28, 2016 at 6:15 PM Post #1,203 of 1,316
Bought the MHA-100 a week ago.  I was kind of disappointed with the sound out of the box.  Let the burn in for 48 hours.  Suddenly the sound had opened up.  Now I know what all the shouting was about.  This head-amp sounds more like a tube amp than my Decware CSP-2 and Taboo ever did.  I've never heard the Grado PS-100, HD-800, and AKG 701 sound better than with this amplifier  (note that these headphones have a reputation for being problematic in the Treble region;; the "tubey" sound does wonders with these headphones).  I am not using the DAC included with the amp...sounds a bit too soupy.  I'm using the Benchmark DAC2 and it sounds terrific with the MHA-100...the Benchmark provides the details and the MHA-100 provides the warmth and roundness...a match made in heaven.  I started using the Auralic Vega DAC, but for some reason the sound was a bit too "romantic" for me.  ​This is the best solid-state amp I've ever heard.  The only thing to complain about is that it does not accept balanced headphones.   Worth every penny. 

Aug 28, 2016 at 7:04 PM Post #1,204 of 1,316
Very much agree with the poster above. I too chose to pair it with a different DAC and the sound was utterly sublime. Definitely the best solid state headphone amp I've ever heard.

Aug 28, 2016 at 7:30 PM Post #1,205 of 1,316
Very much agree with the poster above. I too chose to pair it with a different DAC and the sound was utterly sublime. Definitely the best solid state headphone amp I've ever heard.

imagine if it was a tube amp 
bigsmile_face.gif

Aug 28, 2016 at 8:29 PM Post #1,206 of 1,316
Yeah ive got mine hooked up to a benchmark 2 and nad m51.  I think both are superior to the DAC included.  Though I think it comes down to synergy and personal preference in the end.  LS50's sound better with the benchmark....Harbeths sound better with the NAD.  I'm sure if you asked 10 different people you'd get 10 different answers.

Aug 29, 2016 at 12:07 AM Post #1,207 of 1,316
Don't know if it was mentioned, but has anyone hooked up their MHA100 with a Chord Mojo DAC? Wondering if that's a good pairing, as the McIntosh DAC seems to be its weakness (it doesn't even do DSD for goodness sakes)...

Aug 29, 2016 at 3:40 AM Post #1,208 of 1,316
Don't know if it was mentioned, but has anyone hooked up their MHA100 with a Chord Mojo DAC? Wondering if that's a good pairing, as the McIntosh DAC seems to be its weakness (it doesn't even do DSD for goodness sakes)...
I use mine optical out from 380 to Hugo and sometimes the Mojo. Works well, just set it on line out mode. Sound is very open and spacious but I've got to say the Hugo pairs better than the Mojo with the MHA100

Sep 1, 2016 at 11:07 AM Post #1,210 of 1,316
Having only been using Tidal via my iPhone, I was extremely excited to plug in my new Mark Grant Coaxial cable connecting a cheap Sony DVD player to the MHA. Pressed play, sounds bloody brilliant!! Waiting patiently for Apple to release their new MacBook Pro, and connect via Toslink.

In the meantime Zero Dark Thirty is captivating via the HD800s.

Sep 5, 2016 at 3:01 PM Post #1,211 of 1,316
So concensus is if I were to buy the Chord Hugo on Massdrop for $1700 that would a) be a better dac than built in to our amp, b) a good bargain?

I have to admit, I like the mha100 dac. I have a few legacy sources that were 3K usd in their day with rave reviews, and the mha100 fed by aes/ebu out resolves them imo. But I also don't know what I'm missing, not having a modern ultra high dac that I compared to the mha100.

Sep 5, 2016 at 4:05 PM Post #1,212 of 1,316
In my book- great headphones and amp will be more important than upgrading the DAC- So I dont think you are missing out a lot- you are probably 95% there. Sure probably a better DAC will give u a little extra off course at a price...

Sep 5, 2016 at 4:38 PM Post #1,214 of 1,316
Enjoy it for a while and start saving for the D100 or Auralic Vega, which will give your the extra half-an-inch you will be craving for later.

Or save some more and go for a Bricasti M1 SE like the one I am using with me MHA100.
@m8o if you are interested in a Bricasti M1 send me a PM.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back