MCINTOSH LABS INTRODUCES NEW HEADPHONE AMP MODEL MHA 100
Feb 2, 2015 at 8:06 PM Post #781 of 1,316
Beautiful setup @griff609. Your experience with the XR50 makes me wonder about the real power specs on the MHA, though. The XR50s are terribly insensitive at 81db/w. Suppose it's possible the MHA outputs more than 50 watts @ 8 ohms?

Feb 2, 2015 at 8:18 PM Post #782 of 1,316
It's quite possible that it's putting out more power than the quoted specs, McIntosh has been known to under rate their amp specs. 

I was hesitant at first to pick these up but to have McIntosh reps themselves tell me that the MHA will drive the XR50's and that they also use that exact setup for demos (ultimately to sell products) means they are confident that it will put out the McIntosh sound people look for.

Feb 2, 2015 at 9:48 PM Post #783 of 1,316
I actually have the MXA70 system.  Originally purchased the MHA100 but ran into a problem with the firmware.  At the time, he offered me the MXA70 speakers at a great deal (I think :) and when I had the problems with the MHA100, he had a MXA70 in stock so I took that.  They seem to be exactly the same unit.

Quote:
  Thanks! I'm really digging the overall setup so far. It's really made me rethink whether or not to keep my other gear. I dont understand why McIntosh doesnt offer the speakers on the MXA70 seperately? I'm sure MHA owners would consider them as an option when looking for monitors.

Feb 2, 2015 at 10:25 PM Post #784 of 1,316
Yeah I thought I would eventually go with the MC275 amp for the XR50's, for the extra boost in power. Use the MHA for the preamp. I honestly don't think they need the power (for my setup) so it would really be more now for the tube sound. That may be a bit farther down the road now, my wallet is out of critical care and in recovery now. Visiting hours are limited.

I have a couple non Mcintosh ss amps that could really push the xr50's to their limit but so far haven't found the need try them yet.

I have two McIntosh dealers within 15 minute drive but neither of them carry the speaker lineup so I have to buy to try. Your dealer offering the MXA speakers alone may have been a unique opportunity. I asked mine for a price on them and was told they were part of a package deal.

Feb 4, 2015 at 10:42 PM Post #786 of 1,316
I can vouch for the mc 275.
one of the nicest amps I have ever owned
don't let the 75 watt per channel worry you, I've driven tower speakers with no problem!
I've had my Von Schweikert vr33s cranked to ear splitting volume and the mc275 barely broke a sweat.

you need to get rid of the cheap stock Chinese tubes and go with re-issue gold lion kt88s
major difference, and then you're good to go  :)  

Feb 7, 2015 at 2:25 PM Post #787 of 1,316
Hi Everyone, I've been a long time lurker of Head-Fi and decided that it was only right to post my impressions of this unit, especially since so few people have the opportunity to do so. I had the distinct pleasure of listening to the MHA 100 for ~6 hours and wanted to confirm that it is, by far, the best amplifier I have listened to with the HD800 (or for any headphone for that matter). Granted, there are many amps that I have not listened to, but it was really incredible what this amp could deliver- especially single ended. I have never heard an amp so effortless, it was very hard walking away from it. I also want to confirm that this unit definitely has the "McIntosh" sound (at least for me). There was a noticeable "bite" to the sound, but in a surprisingly non-fatiguing way. I'm pretty sensitive to high frequencies, so it was nice being able to stop the session without any noticeable fatigue. However, I do understand that others may not like this.

As others have mentioned, while the crossfeed feature sounded good in its own right, I much preferred listening to it with it off. Honestly, if the feature was left on by default and I was not aware of it, I would still be happy with the sound. I also tried the different gain settings, and while all sounded great, I preferred leaving it on the 300-600 ohm setting.

Do better headphone amps exist? Probably. So far I haven't heard any combination that is better, but I'd like to hear from others. I'm particularly interested in how this amp compares to the McIntosh D100  and other end-game tube amps.

Can other amps match its performance at a lower cost? It's very likely. Bear in mind that there are many solid state amps/dac combos I have not listened to. I have heard that Audio GD products, especially those with the PCM1704, sound very good. It would be nice if someone could post their impressions.

Is it worth the cost? I'll leave that up to you. However, I know for certain that I will be purchasing this unit if/whenever I have the discretionary income to do so.

Feb 7, 2015 at 5:09 PM Post #788 of 1,316
One thing I wanted to mention with the crossfeed feature was that to me it sounded significantly better on dynamic headphones than planars. I did not like it on with the Audeze LCD-XC's or the 2.2's (with it off the Audeze sound great though)

I had mistakenly left it on one night listening to the MHP1000's through the MacBook Pro/Audirvana and I must of listened for at least 2 hours. I have enjoyed this amp immensely. The soundstage does change and the sound is much more similar to stereo speakers projecting the sound center forward.

FYI audioclassics have two used ones for sale for great prices.

Feb 7, 2015 at 5:32 PM Post #789 of 1,316
After much research I bought the MHA100 close to 3 months ago and probably listen to 15 hours a week with the HD600. This is my first McIntosh and remember seeing the brand over 40years ago and never thought I would own one.

It is a super DAC/AMP that frankly has everything I need. On the weekend I listen to 4-6 hours straight and no fatigue (which is also a function of the HD600). Have it connected to the CD player via coax and the Mac via USB. I know there are several discussions around the DAC not being as good as the D100, but frankly I cannot imagine what improvement that would provide as it is already superb for classical, jazz and rock. Will probably soon connect a turntable, and then will be all set.  For me that has been the best investment I have made in years in terms of improving my hifi set up. I think any incremental improvement would come from a new headphone itself, which is my next acquisition as I do need a closed headphone. Perhaps the MHP1000, but strangely there are practically no indepth reviews of it. Tried the Audeze and did not like it - far too heavy and thought the HD600 sounded better at 20% of the cost.

As for whether the MHA100 is worth the price, it is not a component that I foresee the need to ever replace (if it lasts).

Feb 7, 2015 at 10:51 PM Post #790 of 1,316
This thread is killing me!!!  I've bought a couple of "budget" amps to get a feel for SS vs. tubes, hopefully to compliment my HD800s.  I actually seem to prefer solid state, a total surprise given I run a MC275 amp.  I purchased a used Lehmann Black Cube Linear and a Ray Samuels Raptor, both around a grand, and both with consistent respectable reviews. I've gone back and forth 100 times trying to decide if I like tubes or SS.  So I lose a few bucks on re-sale, well worth it to allow time to interact with both amps at my own pace.  The big trade-off, to my ears, is the Raptor has surprising deep bass, even on the HD800s but loses that high frequency detail the Lehmann captures so well.  Some call it excessive brightness, but it's missed when absent.  What to do?!?!?!?

This all seems to be out-the-window now that I've read this entire thread....all 53 pages!!!

Take home message 
1) The MHA 100 makes the above issue a moot point, just need to get it and stop torturing myself.  Buy quality and never look back.
2) The DAC on the MHA100 is adequate but gives one the chance to spend more money later!!  yippy!!! <only partial sarcasm>
3) bmichels needs to go ahead and buy his Mac!
4) My HD800s will be happy

Thanks for all the great posts, really has been helpful

Steve

Feb 9, 2015 at 5:37 AM Post #791 of 1,316
Your HD800s will be ecstatically happy, and will repay you by performing at a level where you are living in the land of audio joy every time you put them on.

Feb 9, 2015 at 5:48 AM Post #792 of 1,316
I am yet to hear anything to NOT sound glorious with the MHA. 

And I have the Lehmann in the reading room. It is maybe, just maybe, a tiny bit clearer up top, maybe just brighter. But the MHA betters it in any other department. And I've tried both of them with all of my equipment: 

- Grado iGrado
- Audio Technica ATH-WS55 (red)
- Audio Technica ATH-AD700
- beyerdynamic Custom One Pro (w/ DT880 pads)
- Grado SR-125i
- HiFiMAN HE-400 (w/ velour pads + HE-500 silver cable)
- Grado GS1000i
- Audeze LCD-X

Feb 9, 2015 at 7:01 AM Post #793 of 1,316
I'm in the process of selling my McIntosh 275 tube amp.  What's amazing is just how well McIntosh holds its value.  I believe they went for 4500 dollars new, mine's 10 years old.  Looking at the used market, I should be able to get 3500 to 3800, almost paying for my MHA100.  I hate to sell this amazing amp but with family and job I rarely get to actually sit in the music room, thus my migration into the world of headphones.  The MC275 is driving my office speakers, a job the MHA100 can take over... perfect!

If anyone is on the fence about getting a mac I say to go for it.  You will enjoy it on many levels, not just superb sound quality.  The look, build, the American tradition, reliability...

Feb 9, 2015 at 4:51 PM Post #794 of 1,316
Before you sell the MC275!...  

Do you have headphone cable to speaker jacks to be able to test how the MC275 sounds powering your HD800?  I'd be very interested as to your impressions with this pairing.  

Instinctively, the HD800s should benefit greatly from the MC275's power and tubey goodness.  My primary concern would be the amp's noise floor.

Personally, I run a MHA-100 "alternative" -- using a vintage MC2205 amp paired with a C42 preamp.  The MC2205's headphone output has awesome synergy with the HD800, very powerful, full, musical.  I've heard the MHA-100 on three occasions and it sounds nearly identical to my setup, but with a lower / better noise floor.

Feb 9, 2015 at 7:34 PM Post #795 of 1,316
mc2205 with c42  VERY cool!   and you get to still watch the meters! :)

think my 275 is sold, for exactly what I paid for it ::::::::::::::::)))))))))))))))))))

now i can finance my mha 100

if for some reason things fall through, will definitely try to paid the hd800 with mc275.  
thanks for the excellent idea

-steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back