MCINTOSH LABS INTRODUCES NEW HEADPHONE AMP MODEL MHA 100
Jan 15, 2015 at 7:21 AM Post #721 of 1,316
  So what speakers are MHA100 owners pairing with it and what kind of results are being obtained?

I'm looking for recommendations for desktop mounted near field speakers worthy of the Mack and with some decent bottom end (i.e. not requiring a subwoofer) and no rear port as it has to go against a wall.

Anyone?

ProAc Tablette Signature's. Great sound, decent bass without a sub. They are ported in the rear, but I currently have them 4 inches from the back of the desk.

They are great with vocals and have really nice looking cabinets. Hard to find a dealer, though, but ProAc's are worth the search.

Jan 15, 2015 at 7:28 PM Post #723 of 1,316
  ProAc Tablette Signature's. Great sound, decent bass without a sub. They are ported in the rear, but I currently have them 4 inches from the back of the desk.

They are great with vocals and have really nice looking cabinets. Hard to find a dealer, though, but ProAc's are worth the search.

The ProAc's are a bit shy on the bottom end for me and the rear porting a is a deal killer for me sadly.
  I wonder if it could pair well with, for example?...

-Mini Maggies: http://www.magnepan.com/model_mini_maggie

-Vivid Audio V1: http://www.vividaudio.com/speakers/oval-line/models/v1/v1-products.html

I really dug the idea of those Mini Maggies until I got to the bit where it said they need lots of "air".

Room for me is at an absolute premium and speakers have to go against the wall.

Jan 15, 2015 at 7:45 PM Post #724 of 1,316
Audio360 . org review mentions the KEF KEF LS50 which they found to be a nice pairing also.
I'd love to hear the Mini Maggies with the MHA100!

Jan 22, 2015 at 8:11 PM Post #727 of 1,316
So I got a pair of KEF LS50's earlier today.  The combination with the MHA100 is nice.  Compared to the Harbeths the KEFs are brighter and have more guts for rock / pop type music.  The timbre of the instruments and detail for string/acoustic music is not as nice as the Harbeths.

Going to spend some time with both but preliminary results say the KEF's probably will stay and the Harbeths may go.

Jan 22, 2015 at 10:53 PM Post #728 of 1,316
Nice!! I've been doing my research on the LS50's and will probably take the MHA100 with me to audition them.

Quote:
  So I got a pair of KEF LS50's earlier today.  

Jan 23, 2015 at 4:05 AM Post #729 of 1,316
  So I got a pair of KEF LS50's earlier today.  The combination with the MHA100 is nice.  Compared to the Harbeths the KEFs are brighter and have more guts for rock / pop type music.  The timbre of the instruments and detail for string/acoustic music is not as nice as the Harbeths.

Going to spend some time with both but preliminary results say the KEF's probably will stay and the Harbeths may go.

Nice!! I've been doing my research on the LS50's and will probably take the MHA100 with me to audition them.

I can only recommend this combination! In my living room I have the LS50 connected to the MHA100 and usually listen to CD (coax), vinyl (RCA) or digital music (USB) with that setup. Absolutely stunning combination as the MHA gives the LS50 that little bit of mellowness some feel they need. It definitely has enough power to drive authoritatively. 

On a side-note, I listened to the MHA driving a pair of Martin Logan Montis once more... mightily impressed.

Jan 23, 2015 at 9:11 AM Post #730 of 1,316
My entry into audio had always been with two channel based systems; previously expensive separates and eventually integrated solid state designs w/ monitor playback in semi-nearfield listening environments.

I got into head-fi and was thrilled to see that I could pair both passions of head-fi and monitor playback w/ the MHA100.  It arrived Wednesday- and it's not your typical McIntosh sound that I had been accustomed to hearing in the past...  Warm but musical; tube traits from a SS piece etc.

It really had some PRAT.   I'm driving a pair of Penaudio Cenyas with glorious results.  The combined HPA; DAC; and speaker playback makes it an almost too easy of a decision.  But its performance over the past 2-days- you forget the analytics of your system but fall in love with your music collection all over again.

All you want to do is go through your music catalogue and that speaks volumes...  I am seeking a pair of KEF LS50's now...  Highly recommended!

Jan 23, 2015 at 10:39 AM Post #731 of 1,316
just won an auction on an MC252 off ebay, 250 watt speaker amp I plan to hook up to the D100 balanced of course and into something from Paradigm's new Prestige series.  should arrive next week, can't wait and hope they don't trash it in the mail.

Jan 23, 2015 at 1:36 PM Post #732 of 1,316
  My entry into audio had always been with two channel based systems; previously expensive separates and eventually integrated solid state designs w/ monitor playback in semi-nearfield listening environments.

I got into head-fi and was thrilled to see that I could pair both passions of head-fi and monitor playback w/ the MHA100.  It arrived Wednesday- and it's not your typical McIntosh sound that I had been accustomed to hearing in the past...  Warm but musical; tube traits from a SS piece etc.

It really had some PRAT.   I'm driving a pair of Penaudio Cenyas with glorious results.  The combined HPA; DAC; and speaker playback makes it an almost too easy of a decision.  But its performance over the past 2-days- you forget the analytics of your system but fall in love with your music collection all over again.

All you want to do is go through your music catalogue and that speaks volumes...  I am seeking a pair of KEF LS50's now...  Highly recommended!

Glad that you like your MHA 100! 
beerchug.gif

Jan 23, 2015 at 1:38 PM Post #733 of 1,316
  just won an auction on an MC252 off ebay, 250 watt speaker amp I plan to hook up to the D100 balanced of course and into something from Paradigm's new Prestige series.  should arrive next week, can't wait and hope they don't trash it in the mail.

Congratulations!  Mac amps are really terrific. I hope you  like your new MC250!

Jan 23, 2015 at 1:41 PM Post #734 of 1,316
i like that it is less deep then their other amps allowing it to fit easily the footprint of the D100 and on a normal sized rack, hoping 250 wpc is enough to challenge a nice pair of Paradigm Prestige 75f or 85f

Jan 23, 2015 at 5:20 PM Post #735 of 1,316
Speaking of Martin Logan.. just for kicks, I hooked up the McIntosh to my Vista's and Grotto i subwoofer which are in my main A/V system.. Amazing!!
Now that I have a subwoofer in my office, I just might try the Martin Motion 4's and see how they fare up to the McIntosh MXA70 speakers.
Quote:

On a side-note, I listened to the MHA driving a pair of Martin Logan Montis once more... mightily impressed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back