MCINTOSH LABS INTRODUCES NEW HEADPHONE AMP MODEL MHA 100
Jan 1, 2015 at 3:28 AM Post #618 of 1,316
I've just read this thread and I'm sold on the McIntosh MHA100. I was going to save for a Burson Conductor Virtuoso plus a Timekeeper which sells together for about the same money as the MHA100 alone. I now hold the opinion that the MHA100 is a better buy than the Burson combo for Sennheiser's HD 800 headphones and Kef's LS50 speakers.

However I also want to try an Audeze headphone (with fazor). But which is the best match for the MHA100? The LCD-3 is the flagship, the warmth of the MHA100 might blend better with the LCD-X, the LCD-2 will save me Benjamins, and the LCD-XC will give me a closed back option for better isolation. However I also plan on buying the Sennheiser Momentum soon so I don't NEED another closed headphone per say.

I've read somewhere that McIntosh is working on an even more expensive headphone amp but I think this product is perfect for me. I need a DAC, headphone amp, some way to listen to Kef's LS50 speakers, and something that plays nice with Sennheiser's HD 800 primarily and possibly Audeze headphones as well - if that's all in one package all the better. And I dig the looks and resale value if I ever deside to upgrade. Though I doubt I will ever sell this beautiful piece of high end audio equipment.

Having only had my HD800 for just over a week, I can whole heartedly recommend that they sound the best I have heard them with the MHA. I bought them with a little trepidation, having owned a pair before and pairing them with a Weiss DAC202, I found them too bright. My guess is the MHA pairs well with lots of different headphones, as the Grados sound great too. I have now nearly sold all my speaker system, and now have a Naim Mu-so (doesn't get used) for casual speaker listening and the MHA/Mac Mini next to the sofa for proper listening.

The cost of MHA membership is undoubtedly high, but the rewards are higher!!

Jan 1, 2015 at 4:01 AM Post #619 of 1,316
Having only had my HD800 for just over a week, I can whole heartedly recommend that they sound the best I have heard them with the MHA. I bought them with a little trepidation, having owned a pair before and pairing them with a Weiss DAC202, I found them too bright. My guess is the MHA pairs well with lots of different headphones, as the Grados sound great too. I have now nearly sold all my speaker system, and now have a Naim Mu-so (doesn't get used) for casual speaker listening and the MHA/Mac Mini next to the sofa for proper listening.

The cost of MHA membership is undoubtedly high, but the rewards are higher!!

... And I'll join you in that club in 2016!!

Jan 1, 2015 at 5:46 PM Post #623 of 1,316
Maybe their newer amp/dac/tube heaphone rig would be released before then :D another mind boggler.

I'm sure. But I think this will be their low end for a while as they will likely only go up from here on pricing. Perhaps updating the DAC section and making it 100 watts a channel for the speaker section plus adding more digital inputs.

Jan 2, 2015 at 7:56 AM Post #624 of 1,316
Anyone tried the ps1000e with the mha-100? Please post inpressions
smily_headphones1.gif

Whilst I haven't tried the e version, I do have the PS1000, that I alternate with HD800. I would imagine the sound signature between the e, and non e, is very similar. Compared with the HD800 they provide a slightly deeper, warmer but well controlled bass, with a more extended top end, and I would say slightly more high end detail. They both give a similarly wide soundstage, with the sound coming more from each side, rather than slightly in front, as per HD800. I enjoy both, and find the PS500, a little warmer still.

Hope that helps.

Jan 2, 2015 at 8:52 PM Post #625 of 1,316
I've read through the entire thread and the review on audio360.  Interesting set of views to say the least.  I own the Woo WA7 and am listening to it right now fed by a Beresford Caiman Mkii.  Competent pairing to say the least.  

Have the firmware problems I believe posted by groovyd still an issue?  In other words, does it really take 4 seconds for the MHA 100 to respond to button inputs?  For an item at this level, I would think that they would resolve such issues but perhaps it is still early in firmware development...

There was an interesting point raised early in the thread that was never addressed.  It was a question as to whether the MHA 100 could power a Woo WEE to supply electrostat headphones.  Anyone know?

Thanks.

HS

Jan 2, 2015 at 9:45 PM Post #626 of 1,316
There have been no MHA100/MXA70 firmware updates.  Given that, the real PIA is in the setup, renaming inputs and setting up profiles and this is where I've seen the delays.  Once setup, the operation is pretty smooth.  My experience has been sub 1 second response. Not instantaneous but definitely workable.  Modify Bass Boost and other parameters is pretty quick. Switching over to HDX is flakey but I really don't use that function.   All in all, I'm OK with the firmware but would like to see updates to improve speed and add features such as custom profile for speakers.  Hope this helps, M.

Quote:
  Have the firmware problems I believe posted by groovyd still an issue?  In other words, does it really take 4 seconds for the MHA 100 to respond to button inputs?  For an item at this level, I would think that they would resolve such issues but perhaps it is still early in firmware development...

Jan 2, 2015 at 9:48 PM Post #627 of 1,316
I've read through the entire thread and the review on audio360.  Interesting set of views to say the least.  I own the Woo WA7 and am listening to it right now fed by a Beresford Caiman Mkii.  Competent pairing to say the least.  

There was an interesting point raised early in the thread that was never addressed.  It was a question as to whether the MHA 100 could power a Woo WEE to supply electrostat headphones.  Anyone know?

Thanks.

HS

It works well with the woo wee. I currently have this combo with no issue.

Jan 2, 2015 at 10:17 PM Post #629 of 1,316
It works well with the woo wee. I currently have this combo with no issue.

That is good to know, barid.  Thank you.

I see you have the Stax SR007 Mk1's....very nice.  Were you powering them via another amp previously and did you hear any change from the shift to thw MHA/WEE combo, good or bad?

HS

Jan 3, 2015 at 12:26 AM Post #630 of 1,316
That is good to know, barid.  Thank you.

I see you have the Stax SR007 Mk1's....very nice.  Were you powering them via another amp previously and did you hear any change from the shift to thw MHA/WEE combo, good or bad?

HS

I was previously using an old headamp kgss which i sold to offset the mha100 cost.

There are differences. Its been some time since i compared, but as i recall maily the bass resolution is slightly less deep/clean sounding on the wee. I wouldnt feel confident making any larger comparisons on memory alone

Users who are viewing this thread

Back