MCINTOSH LABS INTRODUCES NEW HEADPHONE AMP MODEL MHA 100
Dec 25, 2014 at 11:28 AM Post #571 of 1,316
  hahaha me 2. came in today. it surely is a merry christmas :D

May i ask, has anyone experienced usb connectivity issues with mac mavericks?
sometimes if i play flac files using audirvana usb suddenly drops and wont play again unless i restart the mha-100
haven't happened "yet" with iTunes.

Will obrserve mo re if its an isolated case with audirvana.

Nice amp!  :)  If it doesn't happens with iTunes, then it's not the MHA-100, it's Audirvana app.

Dec 26, 2014 at 7:32 AM Post #573 of 1,316
Sigh... :frowning2: audirvana is useless with the mha-100... good thing spotify works flawlessly :D

Listened through it using my HD800 w/ black dragon v3 cable. Overall its an enjoyable experience with a few surprises, cough.. cough.. I mean "bad" surprises.
The amp is good, It gives the HD800 a full bodied sound with a large headroom of power but the DAC is a so-so for me. A bit forward sounding than my wa7d/tp but still has an enjoyable space between you and the song. Imaging and details could use some work, maybe a better DAC could fix that.

Bass boost is a great feature but Headphone Crossfeed Director (HXD) pretty much degrades the sound. 
Without a proper DAC i enjoyed the music more with my wa7d/tp with Mullard cv4003 and EH tubes.
Its still an enjoyable all in one rig but I'm still a bit disappointed with the performance its giving me for the steep price i had to pay, make it 2.5k cheaper it (maybe) a winner.

Have not tried the speaker amps. Does anyone have a recommendation which book shelf speakers pairs well with the MHA-100?

Dec 26, 2014 at 8:38 AM Post #574 of 1,316
^^ No problem with Audirvana+ with my system.  2012 MacMini OS X Yosemite > iTunes with A+. Then again, all of my file were converted to ALAC and I do everything inside of iTunes. Coming from the Naim DAC, I know what you mean but I find the MHA100 quite satisfying as a DAC/AMP combo.

Dec 26, 2014 at 9:09 AM Post #575 of 1,316
  ^^ No problem with Audirvana+ with my system.  2012 MacMini OS X Yosemite > iTunes with A+. Then again, all of my file were converted to ALAC and I do everything inside of iTunes. Coming from the Naim DAC, I know what you mean but I find the MHA100 quite satisfying as a DAC/AMP combo.

Yeah I mean even with its cons its still an enjoyable rig... Maybe if I didn't have my wa7 with upgraded tubes my comment would be in a much better tone. It just pains me that something with 1/4 (if i'm not mistaken) bested my mha-100. Well, There is still room for improvement (D100). Just need more moooolahhh. Liver anyone?

Dec 26, 2014 at 1:55 PM Post #576 of 1,316
  Yeah I mean even with its cons its still an enjoyable rig... Maybe if I didn't have my wa7 with upgraded tubes my comment would be in a much better tone. It just pains me that something with 1/4 (if i'm not mistaken) bested my mha-100. Well, There is still room for improvement (D100). Just need more moooolahhh. Liver anyone?

Did you happen to try different USB ports? I've read that certain USB ports can share the same bus as things like the SD slot and can cause hiccups. Might be worth a try.

Dec 27, 2014 at 10:47 AM Post #577 of 1,316
Regarding sound quality, I found that the optical input gives the sound a lot more space and definition, might be worth a try!!

Good luck.

Dec 27, 2014 at 3:18 PM Post #578 of 1,316
I got to say that I was finally able to audition the new McIntosh Headphone amp and headphones. The audition was at my local high end audiophile store. I only spent about fifteen minutes listening to the system; so I would not say that I gave it a real workout. My opinion is that the McIntosh headphone amp and headphones were good but not great. Perhaps with a different set of headphones and cables this system would sound most excellent. To me it sounded very flat and blurry. Perhaps a little too smooth. I do like the way the unit looks though; but that is not enough to warrant it's purchase. 

Dec 27, 2014 at 4:40 PM Post #579 of 1,316
  Sigh... :frowning2: audirvana is useless with the mha-100... good thing spotify works flawlessly :D

Listened through it using my HD800 w/ black dragon v3 cable. Overall its an enjoyable experience with a few surprises, cough.. cough.. I mean "bad" surprises.
The amp is good, It gives the HD800 a full bodied sound with a large headroom of power but the DAC is a so-so for me. A bit forward sounding than my wa7d/tp but still has an enjoyable space between you and the song. Imaging and details could use some work, maybe a better DAC could fix that.

Bass boost is a great feature but Headphone Crossfeed Director (HXD) pretty much degrades the sound. 
Without a proper DAC i enjoyed the music more with my wa7d/tp with Mullard cv4003 and EH tubes.
Its still an enjoyable all in one rig but I'm still a bit disappointed with the performance its giving me for the steep price i had to pay, make it 2.5k cheaper it (maybe) a winner.

Have not tried the speaker amps. Does anyone have a recommendation which book shelf speakers pairs well with the MHA-100?

Agree with pretty much everything you said.

The internal DAC is good but not great. I knew this going in and am using my exaSound e22 DAC with JRiver 20. Out-flippin'-standing!

The crossfeed, to my ears, degrades the sound. I leave it off.

The amp sounds terrific with my ProAc Tablette Signature speakers!

I love the sound of the MHA-100 with my LCD-XC's and exaSound e22 DAC. After my comparisons, if someone has only listened to this amp via its internal DAC, then they have not heard this amp at its best. Also, the ability to just turn the knob and have beautiful sound coming from my ProAc's really seals the deal on this purchase. Oh, and it looks great too!  
biggrin.gif

Dec 28, 2014 at 11:04 AM Post #580 of 1,316
@4N6  - Nice setup!  Agree with the comments with the internal DAC.  At this point, I'm pretty satisfied with the one box solution plus my desk is pretty full so no room for an external DAC.  Maybe I'll get the upgraditis bug
very_evil_smiley.gif
some time but until then.. I also find the HDX crossfeed degrades the sound both on the HD800 and HE400i so I leave it off.
On another note, just added a Paradigm SUB8 to the system.  It's pretty unobtrusive under my desk and fills in the bottom end quite nicely.

Dec 28, 2014 at 11:45 AM Post #581 of 1,316
Smelled burning wires and found out the other day one of my MilleniaOneCT sats tweeter fried itself (at a very low listening volume) more or less exactly at the warrantee one year mark.  Didn't get around to RMA'ing it until a month later... hoping they cover it under warrantee and waiting. Paradigm makes excellent speakers for the desktop purpose.

Dec 28, 2014 at 6:02 PM Post #582 of 1,316
I can't see any use for the cross feed function, I would be surprised if anyone preferred the sound, with it switched on. My recently acquired HD800s are just sounding better and better, with a little reinforcement of the bass to +5. I recently sold a Chord Hugo Dac, part of me wonders what it would sound like, with it installed, but I hate cables, so am just enjoying the one box system.

Dec 29, 2014 at 12:27 AM Post #583 of 1,316
  Smelled burning wires and found out the other day one of my MilleniaOneCT sats tweeter fried itself (at a very low listening volume) more or less exactly at the warrantee one year mark.  Didn't get around to RMA'ing it until a month later... hoping they cover it under warrantee and waiting. Paradigm makes excellent speakers for the desktop purpose.

Amps fault? or defective tweeter?

Dec 29, 2014 at 1:03 AM Post #584 of 1,316
Hi All,

i have been doing some research on "All in One" units that can power hi-end headphones + bookshelf speakers, so here i am.
Space is my challenge here, but I didnt expect to run into a $4500 price tag. Could anyone recommend a combo with close or near quality of
the MHA-100 that does not take up much space and possibly lower price? I'll have this connected through my Imac via usb. Thanks in advance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back