MCINTOSH LABS INTRODUCES NEW HEADPHONE AMP MODEL MHA 100
Sep 22, 2014 at 11:31 AM Post #468 of 1,316
  Wouldn't work. We would never be able to agree on which USB input is the best. :wink:

clearly the most expensive gold one is best.  until the diamond encrusted platinum one is released at least.

Sep 22, 2014 at 2:54 PM Post #469 of 1,316
I agree with your findings perplekks, I'm surprised that you are not sure which one you prefer, to my ears when I tried the comparison the USB was like sitting at the back of a concert - everything could be heard, although there wasn't the separation of instruments, you just heard the whole sound. Switching to Optical - suddenly you were on stage, you could follow each and every instrument so clearly, the sound had some bite and snap to it. I respect our hearing is different, and we all appreciate different sound presentation. I guess it adds to the practicality of the MHA100 as you can fine tune the end result by using different interconnects. Without getting carried away I am going to upgrade my £30 cable (with a 3.5mm adaptor) to a Wireworld Supernova at £160.

Sep 22, 2014 at 9:20 PM Post #472 of 1,316
Just placed my order - sight unseen!  I hope to have it by the end of the week.  Thanks again for all of the insights.  

Welcome to the club!!

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Sep 23, 2014 at 7:34 AM Post #473 of 1,316
I agree with your findings perplekks, I'm surprised that you are not sure which one you prefer, to my ears when I tried the comparison the USB was like sitting at the back of a concert - everything could be heard, although there wasn't the separation of instruments, you just heard the whole sound. Switching to Optical - suddenly you were on stage, you could follow each and every instrument so clearly, the sound had some bite and snap to it. I respect our hearing is different, and we all appreciate different sound presentation. I guess it adds to the practicality of the MHA100 as you can fine tune the end result by using different interconnects. Without getting carried away I am going to upgrade my £30 cable (with a 3.5mm adaptor) to a Wireworld Supernova at £160.

I am unsure because it very much depends on the kind of music and the quality of the file itself. If I have a lossy MP3 of a possibly-not-quite-perfectly produced piece of electronica I may prefer the softer and less detailed presentation of the USB. Whereas I would obviously prefer the optical for lossless files, especially with lots of different instruments/layers and where voices are of utmost importance.

Just placed my order - sight unseen!  I hope to have it by the end of the week.  Thanks again for all of the insights.  

Welcome to the club!!

A warm welcome from me as well! 
It is a rather small club at the moment, isn't it?

Sep 23, 2014 at 9:01 AM Post #474 of 1,316
First of all, thanks for the warm welcome.  

After reading the optical/usb commentary, I'm now very curious to get the unit in hand.  I ordered yesterday, and was told that McIntosh would be shipping last night.  Given I'm across the country, I'm hopeful that I'll have the unit by Friday!  
Now I've got to figure out how to convince my wife that it's just the old 1970's Marantz integrated amp that she's used to seeing!  The MHA 100  is too sexy, so I'm concerned she'll spot it and accuse me of taking food out of the mouths of our children again.

I'll be starting with a USB, straight out of my 2013 Macbook Pro.  I'll also be doing a great deal of listening from my turntable, although the sonic pleasures are somewhat offset by the need to get out of my chair occasionally to flip the record.  

I've got Audirvana Plus and a nice selection of FLAC / ALAC files ready to roll.  Ah...which song first?  Side A of the new Mono Revolver from the turntable?  HDTracks 192/24 of Astral Weeks (Van Morrison)?  Oh, the decisions...

Sep 26, 2014 at 9:30 AM Post #475 of 1,316
Any news copeland, have we not heard from you because you have not yet received your new toy, or are you just getting lost in the music?:D:D:D:D

Sep 27, 2014 at 11:07 AM Post #476 of 1,316
Had some info I thought I'd share:

So a month ago I ordered the MHA100 through my local dealer. A month later, I'm still waiting for it to arrive, with not a clue as to the actual ETA. My dealer is telling me the delay is due to a problem they've discovered within the initial batch -- they're calling it a "glitch", whatever that means. So rather than ship out any more units, they've decided to wait until they've resolved the issue, to avoid sending more problem units into the wild.

Anyone heard anything about this? I'll be at the NY Audio Show tomorrow, so I'll also be asking the Mac reps there for comment.

Sep 27, 2014 at 11:25 AM Post #477 of 1,316
Had some info I thought I'd share:

So a month ago I ordered the MHA100 through my local dealer. A month later, I'm still waiting for it to arrive, with not a clue as to the actual ETA. My dealer is telling me the delay is due to a problem they've discovered within the initial batch -- they're calling it a "glitch", whatever that means. So rather than ship out any more units, they've decided to wait until they've resolved the issue, to avoid sending more problem units into the wild.

Anyone heard anything about this? I'll be at the NY Audio Show tomorrow, so I'll also be asking the Mac reps there for comment.

We Will be very interested to hear what they say.

Also you might take the opportunity on the NY show to visit the Lampizator booth and hear they new HeadDac ( tube dac + headphone amp) and may be... You will change your order :).

At least the DAC part of the Lampizator HeadDac should be Way above the DAC of the MHA100. And the HeadDac is less expensive than the MHA100 and ... much more exotic :)

Sep 27, 2014 at 1:58 PM Post #478 of 1,316
My dealer is telling me the delay is due to a problem they've discovered within the initial batch -- they're calling it a "glitch", whatever that means. So rather than ship out any more units, they've decided to wait until they've resolved the issue, to avoid sending more problem units into the wild.

Yeah, that could be interesting.  If you find any of that out let us know.

Sep 27, 2014 at 2:28 PM Post #479 of 1,316

Hello JustinS - I still don't have the amp in hand.  I was disappointed to find that after ordering Monday AM, the package didn't leave McIntosh until Tuesday - and it went ground delivery, which looks to take about a week!  Had I known, I would have sprung for faster freight!  So - Tuesday night will be the first session.  I'm anxiously counting down the hours.  
Thanks

Sep 27, 2014 at 4:23 PM Post #480 of 1,316
All part of the tease and excitement, mine was delayed by a day, well worth the wait. Heard one today paired with some Abyss at a headphone shop opening in England. They had the new version of the PS1000 (I have the previous model) and basically the Grado sounded like a pair of Apple buds in comparison. Knew i should have stayed away. Bugger :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back