MCINTOSH LABS INTRODUCES NEW HEADPHONE AMP MODEL MHA 100
Sep 14, 2014 at 9:37 PM Post #436 of 1,316

EAR HP4 and D100 or MHA100?

Decisions, decisions ...

that IS a tough one!
But, unlike many of my audio writing friends (who buck under such questioning) after careful consideration:

I would actually go w/ the MHA100 in this case!

I say that as I run my HP4 w/ the D100 often - so I know the sound of that pairing.
When I had the MAC STACK

I remember thinking the D100 and MHA100 made a better all-around musical package. I didn't think it was because
the MHA100 was better than the HP4 - I just think the sonic synergy between the D100 and MHA100 was better - they complemented each other VERY well.

I still wish I had that MAC STACK!

Having that stack, my Studio Six, and the LAu - WHOAH!!!
Now THAT would be the ultimate Sonic Satori Personal Audio Lab!!!!

Sep 15, 2014 at 8:40 AM Post #437 of 1,316
Mike,
What is the amp on top of the D100?

I have my MHA100 paired with my Bricasti M1 and they sound fantastic. I have had several SS amps starting from the CIA with extrernal power supply to the Rudistor RP010B MkII (the list includes other Rudisor, Headamp, RSA, Heed, Stello, Violectric and Luxman) and to my ears and taste in sound the MHA100 is the best so far.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Sep 16, 2014 at 4:50 PM Post #439 of 1,316
Thought I would post a quick update! I have kind of come full circle with the MHA100. When I first connected it up last Thursday, I was conscious of the fact that it was a new addition and I could easily swoon over its presence. I liked the sound straight away, but connected via phono inputs to a iPad I was aware that I was probably not hearing it at its best. From spending the whole weekend when I retrieved my iMac from storage and connected via USB, and being slightly disappointed in the improvement in sound quality.

Well if you are still conscious, tonight I went and got a Optical lead (with a 3.5mm adaptor) and connected the iMac. Needless to say it sounds absolutely great, so much more raw detail and feel to the music, much like my Naim system but with a smoother and natural top end, with a wider soundstage. I am also using Amara on the computer. The sound quality is sufficient for me to pack away my ART Alnico8 speakers and Naim UnitiQute, and Rega RP6 which are all being sold, and as a deal with my wife, the Bang & Olufsen that was going to go in her dressing room is now in the lounge, due to less wires and a neater look that she prefers.

The final part of this deal (in my favour) is that the Mcintosh is now on my bedside cabinet, complete with PS1000 headphones, and iMac (soon to become a MacBook Pro) and I am listening to it now, and have to say. Audio Heaven is a nice place to spend the last couple of hours of the day before lights out!!

Just need to factor in going to a headphone show in a few weeks specifically to hear a pair of Abyss on the end of a MHA100. I think I could have to become the house bitch for a couple of years in order to get them over the threshold.....

Sep 17, 2014 at 4:43 PM Post #440 of 1,316
Please excuse my excitement, but I have been lucky enough to have some nice headphone systems over the years, Weiss DAC202 with HD800, Rega Valve Isis with Stax 009, Naim V1 with PS1000, and this simple system of MHA100 with PS1000 beats them all, from memory quite comfortably. It is everything that I have been after, deep controlled bass, sparkly treble, wide soundstage and an easy to listen to presentation, with no fatigue. Quite brilliant, so much so that my speaker system is up for sale.

Sep 17, 2014 at 5:13 PM Post #441 of 1,316
Please excuse my excitement... this simple system of MHA100 with PS1000 beats them all, from memory quite comfortably. It is everything that I have been after, deep controlled bass, sparkly treble, wide soundstage and an easy to listen to presentation, with no fatigue. Quite brilliant, so much so that my speaker system is up for sale.

No need to excuse for being excited ! At least here on Head-Fi :)

- Are you using the Mha100 internal DAC or an external DAC ?

- have you tested the MHA100 with other Headphones than the PS1000 ?

Thanks

Sep 18, 2014 at 6:15 AM Post #442 of 1,316
Hello, no I have not tried other headphones, just PS1000. I am possibly going to a headphone show in a couple of weeks where they will have a MHA100 and Abyss, and possibly a pair of the new Mcintosh. Having had a pair of HD800 that I didn't get on with, finding the PS1000 was a revelation. I have tried Audeze but didn't rate them over the Grado, which is maybe a bit unfair as the Audeze demo was not in ideal conditions or for very long. They just didn't give me the wow factor. I would recommend to anyone about to demo the MHA100 that they try it via its optical, as in my view it is head and shoulders over USB. It is quite a stupendous piece of kit.

Sep 18, 2014 at 6:33 AM Post #443 of 1,316
For me the USB input sounds best. But I will A/B again over the weekend... maybe.

Sep 18, 2014 at 6:43 AM Post #444 of 1,316
  For me the USB input sounds best. But I will A/B again over the weekend... maybe.

quite interesting debate of the optical over the USB  for the MHA100.  Indeed, at first I will use a AK100  (or AK240 may be one day) as the source for the MHA100, and it therefore it will be with an optical connection.

SO...look forward reading the results of your new tests.

Sep 18, 2014 at 11:29 AM Post #446 of 1,316
I obviously need to try the optical as well, but only got a cheap mini-toslink from my macbook pro to try with. Though I'm currently in a state where I am just happy with the sound, feeling no bigger need to analyze, tinker or ponder upgrade paths.

Sep 18, 2014 at 7:13 PM Post #448 of 1,316
Hello Folks:
What a great thread.  I'm keenly interested in buying this amp, and this has been very helpful reading.  I haven't had a chance to hear the unit myself, but hope to soon if I can find someone that has a demo unit in stock here in SoCal.
Quick question:
First off, if I should be posting this somewhere else, my apologies.  It didn't seem wise to add a new thread on the topic.  
It appears that the MHA100 is the same unit included in the new MXA70.  The MXA70 simply adds speakers.  If someone (like me) doesn't already own bookshelf speakers - are the speakers included in the MXA70 worth the ~$1,500 (best I can tell from searching) additional?  I realize that question isn't black/white.  
I expect to listen to speakers (vs Headphones) 20% of the time.  
Again - my apologies if the moderators determine that I should have started a new thread.  
Thanks

Sep 19, 2014 at 3:50 AM Post #449 of 1,316
Hi Copeland and welcome to Head-fi! I don't think the question is out of place here as the amplifier is the same. Unfortunately I haven't seen any report on the speakers or the mxa70 package yet, not sure if they have found their way to the dealers yet. Anyone else know anything?

Sep 19, 2014 at 7:59 AM Post #450 of 1,316
Sorry Copeland, I cant advise either way on that one. I know that when I experimented with my ART speakers I found the bass a little full on. However this was via USB, I have yet to try via the preferred (to me) Optical input. If it does the same using speakers, as it does with headphones, I hope the combination to be fairly magical. We shall see.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back