MCINTOSH LABS INTRODUCES NEW HEADPHONE AMP MODEL MHA 100
Sep 12, 2014 at 12:08 PM Post #422 of 1,316
Sep 12, 2014 at 12:48 PM Post #423 of 1,316
Sep 12, 2014 at 4:14 PM Post #424 of 1,316
  You will enjoy it. :)

Yesterday night I got the chance to push the MHA100 to its limits on a pair of Martin Logan Montis.... I honestly doubted the MHA's ability to drive them, but oh my God, it delivered.

^^ This makes me just about drool. The dream for me = MHA100 with LCD-X and Aerial Acoustics Model 5B's. If the MHA100 can drive Martin Logans with vigor, then I'd have no doubt they can drive AA's very well too.  Damn, where's ~$9000 when you need it?!?  
frown.gif

Sep 12, 2014 at 6:18 PM Post #425 of 1,316
Well it finally arrived at work, and I just couldn't get it unboxed quickly enough, having not seen one before. It certInly looks nice enough, although more on that in a minute. Unbelievably the owners manual and remote were still sealed in their polythene/bubble wrap packaging, and the unit was unmarked. How people are happy to loose so much money on equipment that they own for a few weeks just beats me.
Anyway after the longest afternoon ever had passed I jumped in my car to start the exciting drive home with the Mac sitting next to me on the passenger seat. It reminded me of proudly driving a new girlfriend around, I wanted everyone to see what was sitting next to me in the car!!
Having got in late, I spent some time trying to get my iPad connected and plating music. In the end I used a 3.5 jack plugged into the headphone out on the iPad to phono connectors going into the analogue inputs on the Mac. Not by any stretch the most sophisticated use, but I just wanted music. I plan to get the iMac at the weekend and plug via USB connections.
Well what do I think so far? Well considering that to my knowledge I am effectively using the iPad Dac, it sounds.............. Fantastic! Good bass weight, musical, detailed, and well just addictive. More to follow when the iMac is collected. Oh, and the looks, nothing prepares you for the first switch on when everything on the front panel is lit up!! I had to dim the lighting just to sit and look at the new addition.

Sep 12, 2014 at 9:09 PM Post #427 of 1,316
Well it finally arrived at work, and I just couldn't get it unboxed quickly enough, having not seen one before. It certInly looks nice enough, although more on that in a minute. Unbelievably the owners manual and remote were still sealed in their polythene/bubble wrap packaging, and the unit was unmarked. How people are happy to loose so much money on equipment that they own for a few weeks just beats me.
Anyway after the longest afternoon ever had passed I jumped in my car to start the exciting drive home with the Mac sitting next to me on the passenger seat. It reminded me of proudly driving a new girlfriend around, I wanted everyone to see what was sitting next to me in the car!!
Having got in late, I spent some time trying to get my iPad connected and plating music. In the end I used a 3.5 jack plugged into the headphone out on the iPad to phono connectors going into the analogue inputs on the Mac. Not by any stretch the most sophisticated use, but I just wanted music. I plan to get the iMac at the weekend and plug via USB connections.
Well what do I think so far? Well considering that to my knowledge I am effectively using the iPad Dac, it sounds.............. Fantastic! Good bass weight, musical, detailed, and well just addictive. More to follow when the iMac is collected. Oh, and the looks, nothing prepares you for the first switch on when everything on the front panel is lit up!! I had to dim the lighting just to sit and look at the new addition.

Congratulations!!!!

I've been trying to figure out what to move around financially in order to buy one after reviewing it!!!!

I'm SO glad McIntosh put in the necessary work to make the MHA100 truly special.

Let us know how you're doing with it

I MISS IT!

Especially when I got to stack the MHA100 w/ my D100 for the review at Audio360.org - man that was GLORIOUS

Sep 13, 2014 at 3:28 AM Post #429 of 1,316

Congrats!  The more you use it the more you'll love it.  Wish it was still here for me.  :frowning2:

Sep 13, 2014 at 2:57 PM Post #430 of 1,316
Thanks guys for the kind words! Been at work all day, but now got the iMac connected via USB, got the expected big jump in sound quality. Sitting listening as I type this, not sure if I am finding the bass a bit heavy, but early stages. Want to try it connected to speakers but for some reason it cannot accept banana plugs, so will have to wait until next week. Keep you posted, must dash and sort my wife's dinner out, Fillet steak love?? :D:D oh hang on we only have toast, I do have an amp to pay for you know!!!

Sep 13, 2014 at 3:04 PM Post #431 of 1,316
Thanks guys for the kind words! Been at work all day, but now got the iMac connected via USB, got the expected big jump in sound quality. Sitting listening as I type this, not sure if I am finding the bass a bit heavy, but early stages. Want to try it connected to speakers but for some reason it cannot accept banana plugs, so will have to wait until next week. Keep you posted, must dash and sort my wife's dinner out, Fillet steak love??
biggrin.gif
:D oh hang on we only have toast, I do have an amp to pay for you know!!!

Are you using the MHA100's DAC?  if so, its definitely bass heavy compared to other DACs I've heard.

Sep 13, 2014 at 10:58 PM Post #433 of 1,316
  Was quoted the MHA100 at US$7,600 (S$9,650) from the local Singapore dealer.    That's quite a markup from the RRP of US$4500.  Guess i will wait for my trip to the US.......

7,600usd is crazy price. one should really pay a bit more for the Goldmund Telos Headphone amp instead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back