MCINTOSH LABS INTRODUCES NEW HEADPHONE AMP MODEL MHA 100
Jul 25, 2014 at 2:49 AM Post #361 of 1,316
  well, I am hesitating between 3 headphone amps now: the McIntosh, the EddieCurrent 4-45 and the next Lampizator HeadDAC.
And at 4500€, the McIntosh makes sense only if I do not need to add another 1000€-2000€ DAC to it (by comparaison the HeadDAC is 3900€, and is supposed to include a super DAC)

Fair enough. Well, I can only tell you what I have read and heard for myself so far. And that is that I do NOT think I will feel the need to buy an additional DAC in the near future. But then again... we all have upgraditis and it might happen in the long run.

What I can say right now is that all I have heard myself sounded glorious.

Jul 25, 2014 at 3:18 AM Post #362 of 1,316

Mike,

Nice review, enjoyed reading it.  I agree with most of your impressions, except the DAC.  I suppose on some level DACs come down to a personal preference, but I feel the DAC is a bit boring, lacks some detail, or at least the detail (like on stringed instruments, guitar etc) is set farther back behind a heavy low end. As I've mentioned earlier in the thread, I do not have experience with any high end DACs so I'm not sure if this is the desired voicing as you move up the price bracket, but I greatly prefer the leaner presentation I'm used to from say a DACmini / Burson.

I have not heard the D100 before but would you describe it as more neutral / clean sounding?

hey!

sorry - overtired - here in DC for CanMania / Capital Audio Fest

Thanks for the kind words! I didn't have an issue with the on-board DAC - as stated in the review - but I will say (and I know... peeps think snake oil) I preferred it with the Double Helix USB and Locus Design Nucleus USB..

But, as for the D100 - YES, I think the D100 is more coherent, clean, open, and more neutral for sure.
I can't deny that.

Jul 25, 2014 at 8:24 AM Post #363 of 1,316
May I ask if you will use it's internal DAC or if you will have another TOL DAC in front
I was sitting here waiting for this post... You did not disappoint!! He he he :)

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Jul 25, 2014 at 8:38 AM Post #364 of 1,316
I was sitting here waiting for this post... You did not disappoint!! He he he
smily_headphones1.gif

I can't even imagine the level of torment he's been going through over the past few months
basshead.gif

Jul 25, 2014 at 8:42 AM Post #365 of 1,316
Jul 26, 2014 at 5:55 AM Post #366 of 1,316

I have a reputation to maintain 
biggrin.gif

If I end up with the McIntosh MHA-100 - I would use, because I already own it (as shown in the review) my McIntosh D100 in front.

However, if I didn't own the D100, and only had my Mytek Stereo-192-DSD DAC - I'd use the internal DAC in the MHA!!

Jul 26, 2014 at 7:52 AM Post #367 of 1,316
  If I end up with the McIntosh MHA-100 - I would use, because I already own it (as shown in the review) my McIntosh D100 in front.

However, if I didn't own the D100, and only had my Mytek Stereo-192-DSD DAC - I'd use the internal DAC in the MHA!!

Thanks Mike for the information.  And Congratulation for the super review.

Jul 27, 2014 at 6:26 AM Post #369 of 1,316
Very euphoric review, but I think you also have an Alo Audio Studio Six. Since both products are in the same range, high performance headphone amps, would it be possible to compare these two? Just for the fun of reading since I like the way you write.

Jul 27, 2014 at 11:19 AM Post #371 of 1,316
  well, I am hesitating between 3 headphone amps now: the McIntosh, the EddieCurrent 4-45 and the next Lampizator HeadDAC.  
And at 4500€, the McIntosh makes sense only if I do not need to add another 1000€-2000€ DAC to it (by comparaison the HeadDAC is 3900€, and is supposed to include a super DAC)

Well, if going strictly for the headphone I'd go for the Eddiecurrent, but I'm a bit biased as a Super 7 owner and also having heard a vintage Moth 2a3 which is the best I've yet to personally hear.  Though, the Cavalli Liquid Glass came close.  I'm still very intrigued by the McIntosh though.

Jul 28, 2014 at 7:13 AM Post #372 of 1,316
Very euphoric review, but I think you also have an Alo Audio Studio Six. Since both products are in the same range, high performance headphone amps, would it be possible to compare these two? Just for the fun of reading since I like the way you write.

thanks brotha!
I'm here in D.C. for CanMania (over, and insomnia) and will be with fam  - back in Cali - my home, Aug 6th!
would love to do some comparisons of the S6 and MHA100!

lookin to get one back for (I HOPE) one of our Head-Fi Meets soon!!!!

Ditto for any direct comparisons with the Cavalli LAu.  Thanks, Mike, for the great review.

and THAT I'm totally down to do when I get home!!1
Thanks for the kind words fellas!!!!

Jul 28, 2014 at 7:14 AM Post #373 of 1,316

Thanks Mike for the information.  And Congratulation for the super review.

you guys made my night
thank YOU

Mike, that was another super review. Did anyone on your team try the AKG K812 with the MHA100?

I think Liang may have
I'll ping him and ask!!

you guys really humble me with your kind feedback

Jul 30, 2014 at 3:08 PM Post #374 of 1,316
Any new owners of this unit have listening impressions/comments to share?  I'm purely living vicariously through you fellas!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back