MCINTOSH LABS INTRODUCES NEW HEADPHONE AMP MODEL MHA 100
Jul 23, 2014 at 12:26 PM Post #347 of 1,316
  HEY guys!

So sorry for the delay!
We've had a bunch of event planning going on and CRAZED in our 9-5s!

Review published this morning!

Seriously hope you dig it.
We had a BLAST writing it - exploring its musicality and functionality - and @warrenpchi did a fantastic job of sexin' it up.

HERE'S THE LINK FOR YA!!!!

Mike,

Nice review, enjoyed reading it.  I agree with most of your impressions, except the DAC.  I suppose on some level DACs come down to a personal preference, but I feel the DAC is a bit boring, lacks some detail, or at least the detail (like on stringed instruments, guitar etc) is set farther back behind a heavy low end. As I've mentioned earlier in the thread, I do not have experience with any high end DACs so I'm not sure if this is the desired voicing as you move up the price bracket, but I greatly prefer the leaner presentation I'm used to from say a DACmini / Burson.

I have not heard the D100 before but would you describe it as more neutral / clean sounding?

Jul 23, 2014 at 1:25 PM Post #348 of 1,316
I didn't try this - but yes I can ping Mark at McIntosh for ya and ask if you haven't received an answer already!!
Looks like you did??

That would be awesome! Please ask him. Thanks a lot.

I actually just finished auditioning the little beast and am this close to part with 5K Euros tomorrow. Amazed doesn't even come close. So amazed, in fact, I completely forgot to try headphones an speakers at the same time. Even though I got to listen with LCD-X, GS1000i and then a pair of KEF LS50, which I have at home.
Silly me...

Jul 23, 2014 at 2:24 PM Post #349 of 1,316
Hands down, regardless if the DAC is "not as good", this is without a doubt my dream system centerpiece.  Really, this thing has EVERYTHING necessary to have a true hi-fi, music-making machine that drives everything one could need.

Sad part, however, is that it's strictly that: a dream. It will be a long time before I could shed enough "disposable income" to own one of these babies, plus speakers, plus headphones.  Having had to sell off all my gear for wedding/house savings, it's even more tough to know that this beauty is out there.  *sigh*

Jul 23, 2014 at 3:16 PM Post #350 of 1,316
Thanks A LOT for this great review.

However, I really don't understand why McIntosh did not "Just" included the excellent D100 circuits inside rather than going through the R&D cost of developing a new DAC that is "inferior" to what they had already available?  

( If it is by lack of internal room, nobody forced them to make it so small ! )

Too bad... they missed by a hair the "perfect gear" 
mad.gif

Jul 23, 2014 at 3:41 PM Post #351 of 1,316
  Thanks A LOT for this great review.

However, I really don't understand why McIntosh did not "Just" included the excellent D100 circuits inside rather than going through the R&D cost of developing a new DAC that is "inferior" to what they had already available?  

( If it is by lack of internal room, nobody forced them to make it so small ! )

Too bad... they missed by a hair the "perfect gear" 
mad.gif

I gotta say, bmichels, I think you're crazy to pass this unit up. Even with the internal dac on the MHA100 being relatively inferior (per reviews) to the D100, this unit provides a level of versatility that allows you to have a serious centerpiece to which you can simply expand on in the future as you see fit. Of course, this is IMO, as I wish I was in your shoes and able to fund a purchase like this piece. That being said, I could see where a DAC-less version of this product being perfect for you. But, I still think given the quality of DAC already in it, I can't imagine you wouldn't be thrilled with it. As they say though, to each his own. Hope you find your "perfect gear" at some point!  It's a long journey in this hobby!

Jul 23, 2014 at 4:20 PM Post #352 of 1,316
FYI, An alternative product, more "DAC Oriented" is coming from.... Lampizator :) :   The $3900  Lampizator Head DAC

Infos are now on Lampizator's web site : " Lampizator HEAD DAC - the first true headphone DAC from us. We figured out that it will be a huge compromise to create just a simple addition to normal DAC for a headphone output. We had to design the HEAD DAC from scratch. Something that is better than our own dac connected to a good headphone amp. We merged dac and amp to utilize synergies, which by the way, are huge. This Headphone DAC offers sound that will simply blow your head."

Look at Lampizator's FaceBook page 

This DAC/AMP market is really becoming interesting...
biggrin.gif

Jul 23, 2014 at 4:36 PM Post #353 of 1,316
  Infos are now on Lampizator's web site : " Lampizator HEAD DAC - the first true headphone DAC from us. We figured out that it will be a huge compromise to create just a simple addition to normal DAC for a headphone output. We had to design the HEAD DAC from scratch. Something that is better than our own dac connected to a good headphone amp. We merged dac and amp to utilize synergies, which by the way, are huge. This Headphone DAC offers sound that will simply blow your head."

.....I certainly hope not!  Although, depending on context, could be another topic of discussion 
tongue.gif

Jul 24, 2014 at 4:14 AM Post #354 of 1,316
Regarding the internal DAC, I tried using my Fostex hpa8 as a dac into the mha100 and to my ears there was no question which I prefered; the internal dac. Now the hpa8 is no über high end DAC but it has received fairly good impressions

Jul 24, 2014 at 4:39 PM Post #355 of 1,316
After hearing it yesterday and mulling it over for a bit, speaking with my girlfriend, negotiating with the shop, re-planning the audio chains, and more thinking about it... I bought it today.

Now I'll just wait for delivery, then I'll be off to sonic heaven for a bit.

Jul 24, 2014 at 4:46 PM Post #356 of 1,316
Congrats man!! You are going to love it!

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Jul 25, 2014 at 2:37 AM Post #357 of 1,316
Jul 25, 2014 at 2:40 AM Post #358 of 1,316
Jul 25, 2014 at 2:42 AM Post #359 of 1,316
  May I ask if you will use it's internal DAC or if you will have another TOL DAC in front

I will use the internal DAC for now. If I decide in the future that I am not 100% happy with it I will most likely buy the D100 to accompany the MHA.

Any specific reason for the question or just out of general interest?

Jul 25, 2014 at 2:45 AM Post #360 of 1,316
  I will use the internal DAC for now. If I decide in the future that I am not 100% happy with it I will most likely buy the D100 to accompany the MHA.

Any specific reason for the question or just out of general interest?

well, I am hesitating between 3 headphone amps now: the McIntosh, the EddieCurrent 4-45 and the next Lampizator HeadDAC.  
And at 4500€, the McIntosh makes sense only if I do not need to add another 1000€-2000€ DAC to it (by comparaison the HeadDAC is 3900€, and is supposed to include a super DAC)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back