MCINTOSH LABS INTRODUCES NEW HEADPHONE AMP MODEL MHA 100
Jul 27, 2017 at 9:55 AM Post #1,248 of 1,316
I don't own the Milo but own the Enigma with upgrades almost to the level of the Headtrip. I also own the MHA100. I love the looks and performance of the MHA100 but IMO my HEK out of the Wells sounds just amazing.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Aug 11, 2017 at 12:42 PM Post #1,249 of 1,316
I owned the Headtrip and the MHA100 - not at the same time. Personally I enjoyed the sound of the MHA100 a lot more. It had a warmer tone to it, a lot more options/features including bass boost and other fun things. Headtrip is no slouch for sure, but MHA100 gets my vote, with no doubt.

Aug 11, 2017 at 3:38 PM Post #1,250 of 1,316
I owned the Headtrip and the MHA100 - not at the same time. Personally I enjoyed the sound of the MHA100 a lot more. It had a warmer tone to it, a lot more options/features including bass boost and other fun things. Headtrip is no slouch for sure, but MHA100 gets my vote, with no doubt.

May i know how do you boost bass in MHA100?

Aug 12, 2017 at 9:55 PM Post #1,251 of 1,316
I'd start with the manual. Can be downloaded too.

Push-in the inner left nob. If you don't immediately see bass boost, turn the left outer nob to the left until you do. You'll be passing by all the other features you have. I like to use the preamp too. If I am using 60 to 70 and definitely if higher on the volume control, I'll turn the preamp up to +3db to +4.5db.

Aug 12, 2017 at 10:04 PM Post #1,252 of 1,316
I'd start with the manual. Can be downloaded too.

Push-in the inner left nob. If you don't immediately see bass boost, turn the left outer nob to the left until you do. You'll be passing by all the other features you have. I like to use the preamp too. If I am using 60 to 70 and definitely if higher on the volume control, I'll turn the preamp up to +3db to +4.5db.

Thanks, yes I figured out this setting as well as you mentioned.

But when I playing around and increased the bass to upper levels it decreases the clarity of mid range, I don't know if you faced like that before.

Aug 13, 2017 at 12:27 PM Post #1,253 of 1,316
Thanks, yes I figured out this setting as well as you mentioned.

But when I playing around and increased the bass to upper levels it decreases the clarity of mid range, I don't know if you faced like that before.

It [masking] certainly can depending on headphone and music. It's no fault of the amp.

To set my baseline... I almost exclusively now use my HE-1000 via speaker taps, and use a base boost of +2.5db, on rare occasion +5db, again as baseline using my HE-1000. Only higher if the music is an old rock or other mix (more on that below). On my Ether, add +2.5db to that baseline. On my TH-X00, subtract -2.5db from that baseline. More produces excessive bass bloat and midrange masking.

Except if I want to crank (and I mean that both in the figurative and literal sense) some old Chicago (first few albums), Deep Purple, Jethro Tull, Peter Frampton ( oh how insanely satisfying is "Do You Feel Like I Do"?), etc. ... those musical selections may get +7.5 or +10db. Those old mixes can stand that level of boost at the 40Hz where this amp centers it. New recodsings and mixes, pumping these small drivers flapping right next to your ears, are either over driven or mask the mids, so cannot.

This is my opinion based on countless hours playing with the levels of boost with every permutation of headphone and music genre and music era I have. And seems to be inline with your findings and adresses the why of it.

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2018 at 12:46 AM Post #1,255 of 1,316
Feb 14, 2018 at 2:04 AM Post #1,256 of 1,316
I'm getting intermittent freezes and the MHA100 losing USB signal requiring me to restart the MHA100 with Windows 10 and Jriver Media Center latest version. I have tried both using ASIO and WASAPI driver in Jriver. Anyone else experienced this?

Feb 17, 2018 at 11:49 PM Post #1,257 of 1,316
My gosh, HeK out of the speaker tabs is otherworldly. It's like going from a SE connection to a truly balanced connection. I wonder if it's even the same circuit.

scv_15189265187891630818828.jpg

Feb 18, 2018 at 1:04 AM Post #1,258 of 1,316
Yup yup yup! It grabs the HE-1000 by the virtual balls and makes everything, especially the deepest bass, do exactly what the signal demands with the utmost attack and slam.

Which honestly, I don't understand. The drivers have negligible mass; a nanotech film and conductor. I thought it was a heavy cone that had a mind of its own after an impulse that needed the control the high damping factor an amp like this provides. Obviously, I'm missing something.

P.s. I started using an external dac so don't experience what you described anymore. That implies I did see it a few times. But not often, and if demanded to recreate it I could not.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2018 at 12:27 PM Post #1,259 of 1,316
Yup yup yup! It grabs the HE-1000 by the virtual balls and makes everything, especially the deepest bass, do exactly what the signal demands with the utmost attack and slam.

Which honestly, I don't understand. The drivers have negligible mass; a nanotech film and conductor. I thought it was a heavy cone that had a mind of its own after an impulse that needed the control the high damping factor an amp like this provides. Obviously, I'm missing something.

P.s. I started using an external dac so don't experience what you described anymore. That implies I did see it a few times. But not often, and if demanded to recreate it I could not.

I made few tweaks to Windows Defender which seems to have helped. I'm pretty happy with the integrated DAC right now. Maybe in the future I'll get something else.

What is everyone using as DAC? I need something that stacks will with the MHA100 and sound better than the integrated DAC. I have limited sourc on my desk. Thanks.

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2018 at 1:05 AM Post #1,260 of 1,316
For those who are using speaker taps, have you tried the small vs large speaker settings. I'm experiencing with it right now, I feel the sound stage is expanded in the large speaker mode vs small.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back