MCINTOSH LABS INTRODUCES NEW HEADPHONE AMP MODEL MHA 100
Mar 18, 2015 at 4:07 PM Post #886 of 1,316
  I couldn't help myself!!!

Added the Ayre DAC DSD

Sweet!!!!

Right off the bat it's better that then MAH100 on-board DAC.  It's not overwhelmingly better, but you can hear that extra refinement, better bass, wider soundstage, micro detail.
It's not a game changer and I didn't expect it to be.  Still, if you are fanatical, it's a nice upgrade.

Steve

Nice.  I've had one of those Ayre QB9's on my radar for a while.  Ended up with a Benchmark 2 last week when it came up at a good price used, I'm not totally sold on that sound yet.  Should have one of those Schiit Bifrosts to demo with it as well later this week (I know its in a lower price tier but can't hurt to try).

How would you say the bass quantity of the Ayre compares with the MHA100's internal DAC.  I felt the MHA100's DAC had too much bass, though after living with it for a month or two and going  to the Benchmark now the Benchmark sounds thin and a little boring:)

Mar 18, 2015 at 4:33 PM Post #887 of 1,316
I really do like the internal Dac in the Macintosh but there's definitely an improvement with the ayre. The bass is full and realistic, you instantaneously notice it when you do and AB comparison. With further listening one here's incredible micro detail. You can hear people moving their feet on some of the Diana krall recordings, and these are recordings I listen to hundred times and never heard even with Sennheiser HD 800s. Another cool recording is Buddy Rich big swing face. You can actually make out what people are saying in the audience, really cool and not easily heard on the Macintosh Dac.

Mar 18, 2015 at 5:13 PM Post #888 of 1,316
Just got my new Magnepan .7's... hooked them up to my D100 -> MC252 and powered up the MC252 for the first time since I got it off ebay a month ago. Bravo McIntosh... Bravo Magnepan...  Absolutely Amazing Setup!

Now I just need to swap out my WA7+tp T1 combo for the MHA MHP combo assuming you guys think this would be a noble upgrade and I will be rocking all american

beerchug.gif

Mar 18, 2015 at 9:11 PM Post #889 of 1,316
I've spent the last few hours ABing the MHA100 internal DAC vs the Ayre USB DSD DAC

At first I'd convinced myself the $3,000 Ayre is better.... it has to be, right???  Separate power source, less internal RMF???

Putting bias aside, I think both DACs are incredibly close.  Maybe a nuance difference in bass with the Ayre.  Honestly it's THAT close.  This further supports my opinion amps make far more impact that DACs. (assuming you're not using cheap gear).

To me, this is good news for the McIntosh as it means you are getting a fantastic piece of equipment.  If one needed an external DAC you are talking an almost cost prohibitive purchase at 4500 dollars plus say 2,000ish for a DAC.  Based on my honest findings, there is no need to spend the cash.  I had to purchased the Ayre to put this nagging question to rest.  Got a good price on AG so may keep it for another system or re-sell.

So if you're thinking about an MHA100 and are concerned about the internal DAC, don't worry one bit, go ahead and get the MHA100

Steve

I re-read my prior email, I sound like a total noob given this flip/flop.  Just goes to show the power of bias.  Best to be honest.  :)

Mar 19, 2015 at 2:22 PM Post #890 of 1,316
I've spent the last few hours ABing the MHA100 internal DAC vs the Ayre USB DSD DAC

At first I'd convinced myself the $3,000 Ayre is better.... it has to be, right???  Separate power source, less internal RMF???

Putting bias aside, I think both DACs are incredibly close.  Maybe a nuance difference in bass with the Ayre.  Honestly it's THAT close.  This further supports my opinion amps make far more impact that DACs. (assuming you're not using cheap gear).

To me, this is good news for the McIntosh as it means you are getting a fantastic piece of equipment.  If one needed an external DAC you are talking an almost cost prohibitive purchase at 4500 dollars plus say 2,000ish for a DAC.  Based on my honest findings, there is no need to spend the cash.  I had to purchased the Ayre to put this nagging question to rest.  Got a good price on AG so may keep it for another system or re-sell.

So if you're thinking about an MHA100 and are concerned about the internal DAC, don't worry one bit, go ahead and get the MHA100

Steve

I re-read my prior email, I sound like a total noob given this flip/flop.  Just goes to show the power of bias.  Best to be honest.  :)

Very interesting. What interconnect are you using for the DAC to Mac? Length? USB for the computer to DAC? As using the internal DAC saves one interconnect, this alone may influence the overall sound quality difference between the internal and external DAC's.

Mar 19, 2015 at 6:17 PM Post #891 of 1,316
All short run cables, Tributary balanced.

USB cable... forget the brand... is a 150 dollar cable, so not "radio shack" grade

The internal MHA100 dac shouldn't be able to compete with the 3,000 dollar external Ayre.  There has to be a TON of RMF in that MHA100 case, shared power supply, speaker amp, HF amp, analog pre-amp, dac.  There's a lot going on in that smallish case.  The Ayre is pure minimalist bliss, all balanced, insulated, simple.  One single USB input and one set of outputs (XLR and RCA).  The unit doesn't even have an on/off switch.  Really nice. 

I just think once you get to a certain level of quality in the DAC, the differences gets very difficult to detect.  After reading multiple DAC reviews, this seems to be a running theme.

What I need to do is move both DACs to my big rig and see if there is a difference.
I will eventually do a proper thread on this topic, it's really interesting.

McIntosh did a fantastic job on the MHA 100.  There is a review I found stating they were happier when using the d100 McIntosh Dac + MHA 100.  I wonder if there was some placebo effect going on.  Perhaps there is a difference, it has to have been slight.  There is no way the Ayre Usb Dsd is inferior to the McIntosh d100.  Bet they are close.  I'm NOT buying a D100 to find out! heheheh running out of money or sense.

-steve

Mar 26, 2015 at 2:03 AM Post #893 of 1,316
Just wanted to pipe in that I heard the MHA 100 with the MHP 1000 today at my local Best Buy's Magnolia. It was a really fun listen, and I could tell that this amp has a lot of good things going on under the hood. Congrats to the people here with the cash to have one of these, I see you reaping the benefits :p I never got to try the crossfeed circuit, and never pushed up the volume past medium-low listening, and now I just wish I had stayed and listened longer.

Mar 26, 2015 at 3:30 AM Post #895 of 1,316
My MHA100 is here! I'm ordering the HD800 and MHP1000 tomorrow to see what all the hype is about. Are most of you listening to FLAC files? where is the best site for FLACs? seems like its hard to find current FLAC albums, no? For those who are using USB what Latency and sample rate are your settings on?

Mar 26, 2015 at 10:04 AM Post #896 of 1,316
  My MHA100 is here! I'm ordering the HD800 and MHP1000 tomorrow to see what all the hype is about. Are most of you listening to FLAC files? where is the best site for FLACs? seems like its hard to find current FLAC albums, no? For those who are using USB what Latency and sample rate are your settings on?

Congrats on your new addition! 
biggrin.gif
  I am really interested in your listening impressions after a few days with the headphone amp. I love McIntosh as a brand but don't own any of their stuff yet. But eyeing several high-end AMPs and their McAir.Cheers

Mar 27, 2015 at 2:36 AM Post #897 of 1,316
  Man ... wish my bestbuy had that combo. SMH 

Yeah, I actually didn't realize they had it, but it turns out the Magnolia has a bunch of awesome gear in this acoustically treated listening room in the back. They have Bowers and Wilkins diamond series, some high-end Sonus Faber, and all but the flagship from Martin Logan, powered by McIntosh Monoblocks. As someone who wasn't going to buy anything or didn't look like I had the means (I'm 19, I assume they realize I'm not going to put down $20,000 in the store right there) I didn't feel right asking to listen to the speakers (aside from the Martin Logans they have playing all the time). 

Mar 27, 2015 at 4:23 AM Post #898 of 1,316

biggrin.gif
  I am really interested in your listening impressions after a few days with the headphone amp. I love McIntosh as a brand but don't own any of their stuff yet. But eyeing several high-end AMPs and their McAir.Cheers

Most def! To give you my quick background...... well I don't really have one. A few months ago I discovered this world. The world of expensive ears. Never in my life would I have ever considered buying any headphone amp of this caliber until I read all the reviews. The highest level of audio i'v heard was from some bose speakers. I'm not the type to go to any live listening/shows. 95% of my audio files are all downloaded and prob between 128 to 192 Kbps. With that said, spending $4500 + $1500 on headphones I better close my eyes and feel like the artist is right next to me haha. At this very second i have only hooked up the MHA100 to my portable headphones (Vmoda M100). Sounds ok, but when my other headsets come in i have really high expectations. 
  Yeah, I actually didn't realize they had it, but it turns out the Magnolia has a bunch of awesome gear in this acoustically treated listening room in the back. They have Bowers and Wilkins diamond series, some high-end Sonus Faber, and all but the flagship from Martin Logan, powered by McIntosh Monoblocks. As someone who wasn't going to buy anything or didn't look like I had the means (I'm 19, I assume they realize I'm not going to put down $20,000 in the store right there) I didn't feel right asking to listen to the speakers (aside from the Martin Logans they have playing all the time). 

My Best Buy has a Magnolia, but it sucks. Like i said, you're lucky.

Mar 27, 2015 at 5:36 AM Post #899 of 1,316

biggrin.gif

Most def! To give you my quick background...... well I don't really have one. A few months ago I discovered this world. The world of expensive ears. Never in my life would I have ever considered buying any headphone amp of this caliber until I read all the reviews. The highest level of audio i'v heard was from some bose speakers. I'm not the type to go to any live listening/shows. 95% of my audio files are all downloaded and prob between 128 to 192 Kbps. With that said, spending $4500 + $1500 on headphones I better close my eyes and feel like the artist is right next to me haha. At this very second i have only hooked up the MHA100 to my portable headphones (Vmoda M100). Sounds ok, but when my other headsets come in i have really high expectations. 

My Best Buy has a Magnolia, but it sucks. Like i said, you're lucky.

What headphones did you order?

Mar 27, 2015 at 6:57 AM Post #900 of 1,316

Where is this Best Buy/Magnolia?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back