McIntosh D150 and D100 DAC Owners Unite!
Dec 10, 2016 at 3:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Seamaster

Headphoneus Supremus

After a brown taste from my first McIntosh experience with a MA6900 integrated amp years ago, I decided give a Mac second try, because I, somehow ended up with a D150 DAC totally by an accident. 50 hours into this thing so far as 12/10/2016, I would like to say: it was a great accident! The D150 may not be the most detailed DAC ever in the price range, but it definitely makes music flow. The best part, it is tonally correct, to me. It does string instruments beautifully with delicious decay. The headphone output is not junk like the one in MA6900, is is actually pretty good, it drives my Shure SE846 beautifully but have trouble push my HD800 to full potential. I have almost no complaints on DAC performance. If really nick pick on it, the vocal can be a hair more forward that would be more attractive, to me, YMMV. My digital setup is still in progress, I think i will extract more performance out of D150 when everything is done.

Dec 20, 2016 at 2:01 PM Post #2 of 2
It's a very nice DAC - especially for the price. I have the D100 and think it's a bargain. For my next DAC I'm looking at the $3500 - $4000 range, but I've yet to find another DAC that beats it by any wide margin. I can't afford the new Mac DAC that was recently announced - the D1100.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back