McIntosh D100 Headphone Wattage
Feb 3, 2014 at 7:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

groovyd

Headphoneus Supremus
'High Drive' is a nice marketing term but tells me nothing about the output power of the McIntosh D100.  Fortunately a dealer forwarded these numbers to me...

Here are some approximate numbers for the Hi-Drive HP output

6.7VRMS into 300 ohm. ==> .15 Watts
4VRMS into 47 ohm. ==> .34 Watts (native output impedance)
2VRMS into 16 ohm. ==> .25 Watts

Am I right in calculating Watts as: Wrms = Vrms^2/R ?

Does this seem a little low?

Feb 4, 2014 at 3:26 AM Post #2 of 13
The calculation is right It depends what headphones you are using to know if they are too low or not. The power is plenty for most headphones.

Feb 5, 2014 at 9:53 AM Post #3 of 13
Will probably be driving my T1s mostly but might also use it with my LCD-X.  I really just want the experience to be an upgrade from my current HeadRoom Ultra Desktop Amp in both DAC and headphone amp aspects.  Will be using the preamp fixed out to drive my WA7 which will be connected to the other of those two whichever it is for the day which is most likely the headphone that will be on my head.

Feb 11, 2014 at 9:55 AM Post #4 of 13
D100 arrived and sounds great... about half the output power of my HeadRoom Ultra but the sound quality is very good.  Drives the LCD-X just fine at a volume setting of 50% is comfortable and 60% is a pretty good jam volume.  Lacks a slight bit of energy in the punch but overall it is a nice unit.  Will give it a week to decide but feels like a keeper.  My guess is it will really improve the WA7 I am pairing it with which is eventually what will be driving the LCD-X.  Just wanted to make sure the headphone out could give a good show if it had to.

Mar 15, 2014 at 3:47 PM Post #5 of 13
  D100 arrived and sounds great... about half the output power of my HeadRoom Ultra but the sound quality is very good.  Drives the LCD-X just fine at a volume setting of 50% is comfortable and 60% is a pretty good jam volume.  Lacks a slight bit of energy in the punch but overall it is a nice unit.  Will give it a week to decide but feels like a keeper.  My guess is it will really improve the WA7 I am pairing it with which is eventually what will be driving the LCD-X.  Just wanted to make sure the headphone out could give a good show if it had to.

Do you have anything in your possession to compare the D100 with? How would you rank this DAC?

Mar 15, 2014 at 3:59 PM Post #6 of 13
The D100 has a killer Dac section, but the HP is a bit lacking in my opinion. If you have a separate headphone amp to use it, that's even better. 

The folks at audio 360 share my opinion from what i've read:
http://www.audio360.org/amps-dacs_a0017_review_stunning_mcintosh_d100.php

Mar 15, 2014 at 10:26 PM Post #7 of 13
I have only used other dacs such as the HeadRoom Ultra Desktop, the portable XM6, AudioEngine, and a few various usb dongle type Sabre dacs and the D100 blows them all away from a clarity and precision point of view.  The pre-amp and line level outs are top notch.  My only regret is the headphone amp should have double the power capability.  It gets plenty loud even with T1s at 600 ohms but lacks a bit of low end drive (reserve power for heavy punches driving demanding headphones).

Mar 20, 2014 at 1:22 AM Post #8 of 13
Groovyd- I have the D100 as well. Curious what you intend to use as an alternate headphone amp to mate with the D100? I agree, the DAC and preamp stage on the D100 is top notch.

Mar 20, 2014 at 10:01 AM Post #9 of 13
  Groovyd- I have the D100 as well. Curious what you intend to use as an alternate headphone amp to mate with the D100? I agree, the DAC and preamp stage on the D100 is top notch.

I am currently using the WA7 and together these are a dream come true.  I can't wait until Woo releases the tube based power supply upgrade for the WA7.  Headphones are LCD-X and T1's at home however the T1 might be up for sale soon as the X just blows them away. 

Mar 21, 2014 at 5:01 PM Post #12 of 13
It sounds amazing.  Highly recommended but perhaps wait until it is offered with the new dedicated tube power supply which is supposed to be coming out any day now. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back