McIntosh C50 preamp overview video
Mar 24, 2012 at 12:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

HiFiGuy528

Member of the Trade: Woo Audio
Thought you guys may be interested in seeing this nice preamp.

Apr 1, 2012 at 2:56 PM Post #2 of 10
I think my dream is still a McIntosh system. I've heard from my local dealers and what not that they just aren't what they used to be sound wise and there's better value for the money...but man are the gorgeous...and built like tanks still. 

Apr 1, 2012 at 6:38 PM Post #3 of 10
Sound wise, I still think its world class Hi-Fi, but it comes at a very high price. I do think you can get as good sound for less money, but it won't look as nice. I went with the C50 over the C48 mainly because of looks.

Apr 1, 2012 at 8:49 PM Post #4 of 10
Meridian is cheaper and better but IMHO!

Apr 3, 2012 at 5:35 AM Post #5 of 10
Cary is cheaper and better, IMO. However, McIntosh still has that mystique about them.

Apr 4, 2012 at 6:19 PM Post #6 of 10
I like Mac and it holds it's value better than any other brand.  Especially the amps,  the prices people will pay for 15 year ones that will need a recapping is ludicrous.

Apr 12, 2012 at 11:35 PM Post #7 of 10
I'd still love to own a McIntosh regardless of decrease in performance over the years as a company.  There's just that special something about them...

Feb 24, 2014 at 12:29 AM Post #9 of 10
  I think older McIntosh gear are worth the money.  Just not the current stuff.  My future Mc purchases will be older models.

Care to elaborate? Also of note: McIntosh has been bought by an Italian company that owns Sonus Faber. This could be the reason for the change in quality of their gear?

"...Fine Sounds, which is owned by Milan-based investment management company Quadrivio, bought McIntosh from D+M Group, the owner of Denon, Marantz and Boston Acoustics..."

Source: whathifi.com
October 9, 2012

Feb 24, 2014 at 1:05 AM Post #10 of 10
I think older McIntosh gear are worth the money.  Just not the current stuff.  My future Mc purchases will be older models.

Kind of want that mha100 theyre releasing this year. If it gets even decent reviews it could be a 1 and done solution for my dac / heahpones / monitors. Keeping fingers crossed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back