mcintosh 6100 now at goodwill: craziness beginning
Jun 22, 2007 at 5:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

uzziah

Headphoneus Supremus
ok, so someone off ebay had a mcintosh 6100 vintage amp and i offered $200, then i went out for the night; i come back and i have an email from him saying "meet me tonight at ........ and i'll give it to you for $220 or it goes to goodwill", so of course i email back and say "i'll take it, but i was out earlier" and he emails right away saying he already took it to goodwill and i should go buy it there; so now i asked him which goodwill he took it to, otherwise i'm going to be calling around LOL

good thing i have tomorrow off, if i'm lucky i'm going to have the best week ever for used audio gear; energy c-9's yesterday for $300, and now potentially a mcintosh amp at goodwill prices, i sure hope that that means super cheap
wink.gif
exciting nutty stuff going on

Jun 22, 2007 at 5:25 AM Post #3 of 35
still waiting........ damn this is way too much fun
wink.gif

if i get this though i'll have to get a turntable though........... new madness....uh oh

............****, c'mon respond, you were online a minute ago............tell me where to go.........
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 22, 2007 at 5:41 AM Post #5 of 35
not YET i'm not!!!!!!!

no response........... the thing that scares me is that he gave me a location that is closest to something called goodwill "industries" and either it's unrelated or it might be corporate or a distribution center, but the listing said he was in a different town altogether

he might not respond........ i told him i'd paypal him something for telling me where to go, i hope i didn't piss him off!! ...........ok breathe.....

just goes to show that you never know what you can get on the used market though; he listed it as $650 and i shot him the $200 offer just for a lark, who knew he'd toss it to goodwill! unreal; there better not be any goodwill-audiophiles or i'm up **** creek......... lol

it's like geocaching but with thrift stores!! goodwill-caching, now that's an idea
wink.gif

Jun 22, 2007 at 2:46 PM Post #6 of 35
Wow... Good luck! If I were you I'd google maps every goodwill within a hundred mile radius of that guy and take a mini road trip!

Keep us updated!

Edit : I'm only 10 hours from Boulder and I'm off this weekend hehe...

Jun 22, 2007 at 3:13 PM Post #8 of 35
He could be playing you for a fool.

I called a guy on craigslist selling a Marants Model 7 and 9. He picked up and said I don't have any of the gear. I just posted it for fun to see how many people would call for it. =T

Jun 22, 2007 at 3:21 PM Post #9 of 35
My guess is that it will never make it to the shelves in the store. The employees will nab it. I remember dropping some stuff off at a Goodwill store and they didn't even wait until we left to start going thru it and taking it to their car. Unbelievable....

Jun 22, 2007 at 7:02 PM Post #11 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by ecclesand /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My guess is that it will never make it to the shelves in the store. The employees will nab it. I remember dropping some stuff off at a Goodwill store and they didn't even wait until we left to start going thru it and taking it to their car. Unbelievable....

Ditto. I've been going to Goodwill for awhile and I have never seen any good stuff. You might have better luck going to a Pawn shop.

Jun 22, 2007 at 7:28 PM Post #12 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by velogreg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
He offers it for sale for $650. You offer him $200, with a potential to pay more. He give it to Goodwill for free. The skeptic in me thinks you somehow dodged a scam. Then again if you find it at a Goodwill you are unbelievably lucky. Good luck!

That's what I would think.

Jun 22, 2007 at 7:33 PM Post #13 of 35
My brother, Mr. never pays retail, found some stuff at goodwill.
a B & O console stereo and a Rega turntable that needed oil for the lifting mechanism.
My soliloquy speakers were found at a pawn shop. He got the whole family into
shopping at goodwill.
But then who has time to scour all the pawn shops and thrift stores in an entire town? (he does, every weekend)
We even ventured out to a military town to see any deals to be found at their pawn shops along with the surplus stores. (not much deals found)

Jun 22, 2007 at 8:06 PM Post #14 of 35
When you find out where it is, be sure to post it on here.

Not that...you know... I'm interested or anything...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back