McCormack amps......any users??
May 13, 2003 at 2:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

dudlew

1000+ Head-Fier
Just wondering if anyone here own amps from this Brand.

I see something I might be interested in, just want some feed back from the gurus here at HeadFi
smily_headphones1.gif

I may have the cash soon to purchase something I always wanted and upgrade from mycrappy pioneer integrated, to a power amp.

So who here uses these amps in their speaker setup???
D

May 13, 2003 at 3:09 AM Post #2 of 16
I have owned a mccormack micro line drive, micro integrated drive and a tlc-1 passive / buffered preamp. I liked all of them and they were not only good sounding but very reliable. I still have the
tlc-1 and it continues to work flawlessly.
I always wanted a dna 0.5 power amp, they are really fast and clean sounding, not a tube lovers amp though.
The little micro power drive is not up to the bigger dna 0.5 and dna 1 for bass drive; they sound a tad lightweight; but if that doesnt bother you, they are available for around $400 used, and have that mccormack house sound.
I cant comment on the newer dna-125/225; I havent heard them.

May 13, 2003 at 3:14 AM Post #3 of 16
All reviews that I've read seem to say the newer line of McCormick Amps (DNA-125,225) perform like the modded version of the older .5 and 1.. basically, significantly better than an already amazing product.

-dd3mon

May 13, 2003 at 5:41 AM Post #4 of 16
You may also want to consider Bryston if you are looking for a high-end amp that puts out some juice. The 3b-st (120W) and 4b-st (250W) are terrific power amps and can be had for fairly reasonable prices on the used market, $800-1000 and $1400-2000 respectively. I have used both and highly recommend them. If you are thinking new, their current incarnations, the 3b-sst and 4b-sst are supposed to be great. The 20 year warranty is also a bonus.

May 13, 2003 at 5:48 AM Post #5 of 16
http://www.bryston.ca/3bsstcov.html

The 3b-st and 4b-st have the exact same style. The only visual difference between the 3b-st and 4b-st, is that the 4b-st is a little deeper.

May 13, 2003 at 3:22 PM Post #6 of 16
the one I am looking at is a second hand Micro Power Drive (MPD).

Peter, I wish I had that kind of cash to throw around!!! Also for the next 5 years or more I will be driving only small budget bookshelf speakers the likes of my B&W 601s and Missions. The most difficult load I see myself driving is a Dynaudio audience 52. Hence I dont need oodles of power. The 50 wpc is fine for me. I think that this will be a huge improvement over my pioneer integrated which I am now currently using for my power amp.

SACD, Thanks for the thumbs up. I take it you have heard the MPD?? could you give me your impressions about the sound? I have never heard a McCormack so I dont know what the house sound is or what to expect.
In your opinion do you think I will be better off getting an AMC 2100 or a C270 instead of the MPD? I just want a clean musical sound and something that will last. I cant afford to spend more than $450 though hence me looking in he used market.

Thanks for the response guys

D

May 13, 2003 at 5:33 PM Post #8 of 16
Then perhaps you should look into an integrated amp, particuraly from NAD, AMC (the 3030), or Rega (the Brio).

May 14, 2003 at 2:40 AM Post #10 of 16
The mccormack house sound to me is one of speed; and a clear, clean character. They can sound a little lean in the lower midrange, but they have good bass thats well defined and extended. The dna 0.5 and dna1 are very dimensional, especially for solid state. Another word I think of is pure. The treble is not splashy or edgy, but still extended, and again the word clean. The micro power drive has these same characteritics but not the bass extension and power; it sounds lightweight compared to the bigger amps. This leads to an emphasis in the middle of the midrange up through the treble that was always present. I had one for a demo, and although I liked it, I didnt love it. I would spend the extra and get a 0.5 if it were me. Boozebuttons had one of these, maybe he would share his opinions.

May 14, 2003 at 6:33 AM Post #11 of 16
I've had the DNA1 Dlxe for a few years now and I agree pretty much with SACD Lover's comments. The amp is extremely quick and for a solid state amp, has a nice sense of depth and space. The amp is bullet proof and built to last (with very effective self-protection circuitry!). Extended and smooth highs and killer fast bass. Midrange also is good, although not in the same league as my former Audio Research tube amp. That said, as an overall performer, I'm glad I made the switch to the DNA.

I've been debating for a while whether to upgrade to one of Steve McCormack's Revision A,B or C re-builds, but the sound overall is so satisfying and pleasing that I keep putting it off as unnecessary.

Conclusion? I second SACD Lover's rec. to look into a DNA series amp. There may be better (and much more expensive) solid state amps out there, but you can't go wrong with a McCormack DNA .

May 14, 2003 at 12:08 PM Post #12 of 16
I had a micro drive but only used it with my K-1000s and found
The nOrh Se9 a better amp for that application.I never tried it in my speaker system tough, Build Quality was really good.
I did own a Dna.05 dlx And used that in my main system.I felt that amp was a good bang for the buck amp. I would recommend the Dna amps to anyone, they provide exceptional sound for the money.

May 14, 2003 at 12:27 PM Post #13 of 16
I should save some more then. I will see what happens, but as money goes, spending double of what I intended will take me some months to accumulate. But if it is that much better then I guess I should wait. But even though, I cant see the McCormack being more light wieght than my pioneer. But I could be wrong??

D

May 14, 2003 at 12:57 PM Post #14 of 16
dudlew
An amp which I found to be a great buy is an older Forte 4a
It is only 50w per channel but sounds bigger runs mostly in class A. If you can find one you should pay 400-500. for it.This is another great buy.

May 14, 2003 at 1:41 PM Post #15 of 16
I own a .5 McCormick. I like this a whole lot better than the Bryston I used to use many years ago.
The new models are a little lean so be careful how you match them with your other equipment
If you get a .5 or any DNA used you must upgrade power cord.
It tightens up the bass considerably!
the only other solid state amp I like is the Pass. The McCormick is an exceptional amp!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back