Mccintosh MA 6100 with Grado RS-1's?
Jan 20, 2010 at 7:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Badd99

100+ Head-Fier
How would this combo sound? My grandpa (83) bought this amp in 78' I believe and is going to give it to my when he passes away (lets hope not for a while) and I was just wondering how my Grado RS-1 would sound comming out of it?

I was told that the MA 6100 solid state preamp was something that was highly looked up on?

Jan 20, 2010 at 5:31 PM Post #2 of 18
The best want you can do here:
1. Bring RS-1 to your Grandpa and listen to them
2. Bring MA 6100 to Grado reseller and listen to them there

IMO no one (maybe one or two fellows) at head-fi has such groovy amp to share their experience
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 22, 2010 at 2:19 PM Post #4 of 18
Hi I am presuming this is a tube amp and would you know how many watts/ch? The Grado's I would say would be a perfect match for this amp, providing you dont go blowing your eardrums.

Jan 22, 2010 at 4:02 PM Post #5 of 18
MA 6100 = Solid State Integrated Amp, with Headphone jack on the front panel. The place I was looking had it for a bit over 1K used.

McIntosh amps, even the solid state ones are reported to be very smooth and analog sounding. Of course that is the description of the speaker sound...

Perhaps you can report how well the headphone out is.

Jan 24, 2010 at 6:25 PM Post #7 of 18
My 1st piece of "High End" gear back in 1975, although mine was a mac 5100 ...My brother still has his 6100 to this day.........I set my son up with a dynaco amp and a Mac C28 preamp which has a headphone out....These old Macs are great but your grandpas as many others will need it's pots cleaned...switches also.....Find a mac or other "GOOD" repair shop and let them look at yours (to be) if you notice sounds in the volume knob etc.etc... 1 other thing, if you do receive this 6100, KEEP IT! KEEP IT! KEEP IT!

Jan 27, 2010 at 12:37 AM Post #10 of 18
Panda, have you ever had a McIntosh? Probably not if you're telling the KID to dump "IT" on E-Bay!!!!!! That's a american classic and will be still running when his rs-1 are in the trash......or lost.......Badd99, Keep that Mac, you'll be glad you held onto it!! Now, this is only MY OPINION!!!! and probably many others on HD.Fi

Jan 29, 2010 at 4:48 AM Post #11 of 18
Its not going anywhere. I have a Cavalli CTH with my Grado RS-1's now and happy with the sound. The mccintosh has more sentimental value in it than anything, it was my grandpas pride for all these years. I remember the story of how he won 5,000 on a scratch off and my grandpa (his wife) told him that she knew he wanted this high end gear and to go out and buy it. Its really crazy because I feel i'm so similar in that regard. Anyway, Its going to be with me for a long time.

Jan 29, 2010 at 5:52 AM Post #12 of 18
I have a Mcintosh C28 pre amp and it has a 20 watts per channel built-in headphone amp. It doesn't sound half bad with RS-1. A bit soft but very warm and engaging.
They are good amps. Congrats!

Feb 1, 2010 at 1:38 AM Post #14 of 18
Any reports yet Badd99 ?

Feb 1, 2010 at 2:59 AM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by 9pintube /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Panda, have you ever had a McIntosh? Probably not if you're telling the KID to dump "IT" on E-Bay!!!!!! That's a american classic and will be still running when his rs-1 are in the trash......or lost.......Badd99, Keep that Mac, you'll be glad you held onto it!! Now, this is only MY OPINION!!!! and probably many others on HD.Fi

Meh McIntosh isnt as great as its made out to be. But because of this reputation it sell like crazy. We started selling it just before xmas at our store and now we got many people coming in placing an order without even listening to it.

To me for the price of Mac you can get better sounding equipment. Their build quality is something to be proud of though. I was really dissapointed with their remotes though, what cheap peices of crap. And it kinda scares me that they have dipped into every aspect of AV from speakers to projectors

Users who are viewing this thread

Back