McAllister EA-8
May 7, 2009 at 5:23 PM Post #16 of 31
Why don't you just build an ES-1 by your self? It shouldn't cost more then 600$ if you stick with one PSU, a cheap attenuator (quad Alps RK27 or some of the cheap steppers off ebay) and good quality caps. You can even unleash some of the "magic" tuning that Mikhail used (i.e. take expensive caps and serial or parallel connect them with cheap orange drops) to make it sound just like the SP amps.

I've got most of the parts I need to build one but it will be very different from the SP models, separate PSU's for the drive and output stages, proper high impedance bias supplies, proper filament wiring etc.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lil' Knight
Is it possible to build a KGSS now? Are all the parts available?

You sure can as all parts are available or there are subs that work with some minor modification.

May 7, 2009 at 6:31 PM Post #18 of 31
Because it is fun to DIY and building an ES-1 could be less work then moving that amp. I would also replace all the tube sockets, pots, switches, I/O sockets (the Stax sockets will shatter if you try to tamper with them) and rewire the entire amp if it is anything like Al's.

May 7, 2009 at 8:14 PM Post #20 of 31
My experience was that it sounded _nice_ (not stupendous) on accoustic music, but on dense, saturated 'busy' music, it simply broke apart, distorted, and made me hate life. I had two supremous types listen as well, and it was just a total downer. IIRC, it was some other sweep tube like 6bq7?

Victoria Magnetics no longer winds transformers for sale, but only for their own end sound production products. So, SumR is the most likely source for a well wound toroid, or maybe jack at Electraprint, though we had no luck getting him to wind for us.

Regarding other options, you can build a KGSS, KGBH, the poor Man's project should be interesting (it will work out), and there is one new variant almost ready.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ironbut /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why would I want to start from scratch? I think this could end up sounding and looking exactly like what I'm looking for.

Sorry, I just doubt it.

May 7, 2009 at 9:53 PM Post #21 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by pabbi1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Victoria Magnetics no longer winds transformers for sale, but only for their own end sound production products. So, SumR is the most likely source for a well wound toroid, or maybe jack at Electraprint, though we had no luck getting him to wind for us.

There is also a 325V Antec unit that I'm going to try out. It's 300VA so plenty of juice for the BH.

May 7, 2009 at 10:38 PM Post #22 of 31
Birgir, that is what I'm using on the PM - should be fine. Antek has never really let me down, and I can't really tell a difference in the iron between that and the Hammond, or the VM. Now Lundahl...
tongue.gif

May 8, 2009 at 6:13 PM Post #24 of 31
Haha, I think i've got the only one in the world that works properly. It's the EA-4 that used to go to all the meets a few years ago, works totally fine.

May 8, 2009 at 6:40 PM Post #25 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought you were using the 275v Antek unit? That's what I'm planning to use on the PM or some of my old KGSS transformers.

Oops... busted. We were only considering the 325v, and also on the other amp... oh, well.

Pity I never got to hear the EA-4, which was, apparently, the only one done right, but I'd love to see the inside shots on that. Mine speaks for itself, and convinced me to never buy another manufactured amp... but there is one that has come to my attention, and I personally know the builder.

May 8, 2009 at 7:58 PM Post #27 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Because it is fun to DIY and building an ES-1 could be less work then moving that amp.

Hey, good point. One headphone project at a time for me though. That way they actually get done and I can enjoy them. There's the money factor too and I have projects that other people are counting on so I need to use what resources I have to take care of them first.

juzmister, good for you! I'm finding the nature of the sound that I get from my Jades with the McAllister to be extremely involving and enjoyable. I have a heck of a time taking them off even when I know that I need to be doing something else (even when I just have it hooked up to a portable cd player that I use exclusively for burn in).
Although these sites are really about gear, I try to do my best to remember that it's all "in service to the music".

May 8, 2009 at 11:31 PM Post #28 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by ironbut /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey, good point. One headphone project at a time for me though. That way they actually get done and I can enjoy them. There's the money factor too and I have projects that other people are counting on so I need to use what resources I have to take care of them first.

I wish I could learn how to just focus on one project. I have some 6 amp projects that I'm working on with more piling on soon plus figuring out a good damping setup for the SR-202 and try the new SR-404 Limited Edition.
redface.gif

May 9, 2009 at 1:41 AM Post #29 of 31
I spoke with Peter not too long ago and he told me that he had a new company making all his cases for him. They looked better than the old ones.

May 9, 2009 at 2:10 AM Post #30 of 31
The case improvement will be welcome, but the circuits need work even moreso.

I wanted to believe in the Amp Fairy, but, she is a cold mistress.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back